practice reports? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

practice reports?

Okami

On the Ice
Do Mao fans really want her to take risk? It's puzzling to me. Taking risk might be virtue for those daredevils at X games but does same thing hold true in figure sakting? What she really needs is consitent 3/3, not a two 3A.

Actually, in that particular sentence I meant that she's taking risks by deciding to fix her Lutz, put a Salchow in her programs again and work on overall quality of her elements.

If high scores were what she wanted, the safest bet would be to keep old jump layout, old spins and steps (they were getting good scores anyway) and have easy programs choreographed to Turnadot or some other Malaguena. If skated cleanly, het programs would score high even with the deduction for flutz. However, I'm more impressed by a skater who strives for perfection than by a skater who strives "just" for gold. Medals aren't everything. :)

I think 3A is the least of Mao's problems right now. Lack of confidence in her 3Lz and 3S, and getting adjusted to the new jumping technique and timing on 3F-3L are probably much higher obstacle for her. However, overcoming those obstacles will hopefully bear fruits come Olympics, and that's what I meant by my previous quote. :)

I am curious about what happened to her 3F/3T. Was it put on shelf just for TEB or Did Mao decide combo3T is too much for her?

Well, she plans to eventually do 3A-3T, so maybe she stopped practicing 3F-3T for now in order not to spoil her timing?
But, originally, she had a 3F-3T planned in the place where she did solo 3T at TEB. She was shown landing it in practices in August.
I guess they jump layout changed after that - TAT decided to bring back 'Tano toes ans loops.

In theory, with a Salchow and Lutz Mao would not need a second 3-3 to do a 8-triples LP:
3A-2T(Tano)
3Lz
3F-2L-2L(Tano)
3S
3F-3L
3T
3L
However, it will probably be a long way before her jumps will be steady enough to accomplish that. For now, a 6 or 7 triple program would be more than enough.

Last edited:

irinas

Rinkside
I'd really appreciate If you could give some information about Lepistö's performance throughout the practice.

I am so excited about Laura.She is such an impressive skater.I like her style.Her SP and LP are so nice.I wish her all the best.

I feel really sorry because some users in this topic started comparing Yu-Na and Mao. It would be better to give information instead of talking about Mao.

frozenhell

Rinkside
In theory, with a Salchow and Lutz Mao would not need a second 3-3 to do a 8-triples LP:
3A-2T(Tano)
3Lz
3F-2T-2L(Tano)
3S
3F-3L
3T
3L
However, it will probably be a long way before her jumps will be steady enough to accomplish that. For now, a 6 or 7 triple program would be more than enough.

This jump layout won't work because she should replace one of triple with 2A. 3A/3T shouldn't be taken seriously even by Mao fans. Also putting too much emphasis on jump can really hurt artistry just like Miki at SA. Mao will have to make compromise on her jump laout if she doesn't want to sacrifice artistry.

bekalc

Record Breaker
As for the who is the best technical jumper.

Well right now Mao has the best arsenal of jumps...

I wouldn't say she has the best jumping technique. That would probably be Yu-na Kim, Joannie Rochette, Miki Ando although Ando can underrotate sometimes.

If Ando got her quad consistent she'd probably be the best jumper in the world. I'm not sure about the wisdom of 3axel/3toe for Ma.... That's a lot of risk for little reward.

And Oda looks amazing.

Okami

On the Ice
This jump layout won't work because she should replace one of triple with 2A.

Is 2A compulsory? AFAIK she would not run into the Zayak rule with the layout above - 7 jump passes, 2 types triple repeated (Flip and Loop).
Though you are probably right that she will do one 2A - I cant see her managing to stick a triple in the place when she landed 2A at TEB, because it follows 3T so closely (the whole jump layout would get have to be changed again).

Mao will have to make compromise on her jump laout if she doesn't want to sacrifice artistry.

That's why, (IMHO) a jump layout such as above would be beneficial - less high difficulty jump passes. Of course, this will be true only when Mao feels confident enough with 3Lz and 3S. That's what I said that right now 6 or 7 triples sounds more reasonable.

I'd really appreciate If you could give some information about Lepistö's performance throughout the practice.

I would love to hear some info as well, but so far we know only what the Japanese media have reported, and they concentrated on Mao, Yukari and Nobu so far. They didn't even show Akiko, Mura or Nanri yet. :(

ballerynna

Rinkside
How's Johnny doing? I read in another board that he's a little sick or something. Did it affect his practice?

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think that Mao's jump layout should be

3 axel/2toe
3 axel
3 flip/3toe

3 lutz

3 salchow

3 flip/3loop

2 axel.

She can add the double loop to whatever pass she feels most comfortable with. Maybe though she's not comfortable with a 3/3/2 and that's why she wants to do a triple axel/triple toe. When her 3 lutz gets more comfy she can work on a 3lutz/3toe or a 3lutz/3loop so she can do the lutz twice instead of the flip.

missysays

On the Ice
Ice-dance.com has an event site up for the ice dance part of the competition. Some practice pictures are up and an athletes blog by Cathy Reed.

I'm really loving their event coverage- very comprehensive.:clap::clap:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
NHK news commentated by Arakawa
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7jdt4_mao-news3_sport
Asada's 3A and 3A combo, Oda's 4-3-3

Oda's 4 quad combo was out of this world. That is how the CoP wants to see quads. If he can pull off even a solo quad like that in the event he will win by 20 points. So glad that he is back and stronger than ever.

I am worried about Mao. Her 3 axel looked underroated in the practice clips and all this talk of her popping jumps is not good news. I hope that she comes back strong at worlds.

Blade Runner

Rinkside
:sheesh: I saw 4 pages under the topic "Practice Reports" and I thought this meant there were some reports out there about alot of different skaters. Instead this whole thread is about Mao and her jumps. Mao is a favorite of mine but I thought this thread was for practice reports only. I hope there are some reports soon on Mirai, Laura, Ashley, Johnny, Stephen, and the other skaters.

Indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fsqueen

Match Penalty

ITA with you both!

Also,

Fiercemao, Fieceyuna, enough fierce
2mobfcw.jpg

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Here's an idea - instead of fanning the flame when something seems to be getting out of control (ie posting more OT issues, which is part of the supposed problem) use the report feature. you don't have to police it yourself. The mods are more than happy to do our job, but it makes it EXTREMELY DIFFICULT if we have to wade through all of these posts and decide how to handle it. IF anything, ignore those few that have gone off topic.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Toni, I will do exactly that. Very disappointed in this discussion. Well anyway, it'll be starting in a few hours so this thread will be history.

Tigger

Final Flight
In the chance this might get us back on track...

How is Cynthia looking? I really hope she keeps improving as she has been. I was very much impressed and happy to see how far Cynthia's come at SC since the last time I saw her skate.