Practice reports? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I seriously hope the judges this season agree with you. Just going with my gut feeling from what I've seen from the practice clips, I simply have a very good feeling about the Shibs this season even though my anxiety about how the judges and callers will stack them may make it seem like I don't, haha.

I'm with you there, sister.....:hopelessness::laugh:

Alextim

Rinkside
For me the Free dance on Shibutanis is the same style or P/C with less innovation in the elements. I would say thanks to Chock and Bates for their differents programs

bramweld

Record Breaker
For me the Free dance on Shibutanis is the same style or P/C with less innovation in the elements. I would say thanks to Chock and Bates for their differents programs

This might be true, but who are the judges rewarding? I find it highly confusing and demotivating and I'm not even an ice dancer.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Hotel was quiet as a mouse this morning. I got to the arena this morning in time for 7 AM men's practice. Saw the ever-faithful Japanese fans walking in groups toward the arena even in the pre-dawn darkness.

Shoma Uno was jogging around in the concourse, ran by me.

Hope I can make it through today on 3 hours of sleep! :laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hotel was quiet as a mouse this morning. I got to the arena this morning in time for 7 AM men's practice. Saw the ever-faithful Japanese fans walking in groups toward the arena even in the pre-dawn darkness.

Shoma Uno was jogging around in the concourse, ran by me.

Hope I can make it through today on 3 hours of sleep! :laugh:

Please report back on men if you're awake - decided to skip this session so I could take my own class. Reports on Jason, Adam, Shoma and Boyang would be especially appreciated!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Rockerskating is comatose too but we've got some practice reports:

Dolensky: 3Lz, walked thru A, 3F(hand), 3F(hand)2T, 1A, 3A, 3F3T

Jin: 3A in runthru, 3A, 3Lz

Voronov: 3A, SP runthru (3T3T, 3A, 3Lo)

Kerry: 2Lz, 3Lz3T, 3Lz3T, 3A, 3A, 3T, 3T, 3Lz3T

Nguyen: 3S, 3S, 2S, SP runthru (4S(fall), 1A), 3S, 2S

Jackie Wong ‏@rockerskating 2m2 minutes ago
Spotted: Adam Rippon with a very club-appropriate sleeveless top ... are we noticing his actual costume? #gratuitousfashiontweets
:laugh:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Uno: 3A, 2T, 4T(ur,fall), 4T, SP runthru (4F, 4T(hangs on), 2T, 4T

Brown: 3Lz, 3A, SP runthru (3T3T,3 3A, 3Lz), 3A, 2T, 2T(step), 2T, 2T, 2T, 3Lz3T

Rippon: 2A, 2A, 2A, 3Lz, 3F, 3F, 3F3T, 3Lz, walked thru jumps in SP runthru

Kovtun: walked thru jumps in SP runthru, 3A, 3A, 2S, 3S2T, 2S, 4S3T, 2T

Hendrickx: 3A(step), 3A, SP runthru (3A, 3Lz3T, 3Lo), 3A, 3Lo

Group 2

Last edited:

CAS

On the Ice
Gold. They're going for gold. The top three at worlds might just be Shibs, V/M and P/C. :)

I'm not convinced at this point but we will get a better viewing this weekend of the programs to see if it changes my mind. I feel like I am not watching the same two program glimpses from the Shibutani's that other people are watching. I'm pretty neutral on this team so don't think I have any biases when watching them but last season I felt right away they had a great FD for them, not feeling that this season.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Jason 3T-3T? I wonder if hes going to attempt a 4T-3T today. He did a great one in practice yesterday. Hmmm. Or maybe just practicing rotation on 3T as warmup for a solo 4T. Interesting! Thank you!

It is. Jackie updated it so overall it ended up as

Brown: 3Lz, 3A, SP runthru (3T3T,3 3A, 3Lz), 3A, 2T, 2T(step), 2T, 2T, 2T, 3Lz3T

We'll see later today I guess.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Jason 3T-3T? I wonder if hes going to attempt a 4T-3T today. He did a great one in practice yesterday. Hmmm. Or maybe just practicing rotation on 3T as warmup for a solo 4T. Interesting! Thank you!

well he should or rather have to do it in combo as he doesn't have steps to it in sp

KKonas

Medalist
I really like the Shibs and thought last seasons programs were great - both the SD and FD. Just watched the practice FD from SA and nearly fell asleep. They are fine skaters but this is not an exciting or even interesting program to my eyes. The SD is okay but not innovative in any way. So far from what I have seen, I am disappointed in both programs especially after such great programs last season.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
well he should or rather have to do it in combo as he doesn't have steps to it in sp

Sure, but it would be a big change from what we've seen in first two comps. Maybe they think if he pops 4T to 3T in combo, or < it, he'll still get credit for a combo (unless he falls, of course). We'll see.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Fix You was a lot more accessible but in terms of content and potential for growth I feel this FD is a lot better. I honestly felt the Shibs outgrew Fix You after Nationals. I can why people think it's a Montreal style program if they think skating to classical music means Papadakis/Cizeron as if P/C invented ice dancing to moody instrumental pieces. If you watch the Shibs' 2014-2015 Peter Tchernyshev -choreographed "O" exhibition (before P/C became THE P/C) you'd see a similar program in terms of mood and movement.

TMC

Record Breaker
Fix You was a lot more accessible but in terms of content and potential for growth I feel this FD is a lot better. I honestly felt the Shibs outgrew Fix You after Nationals. I can why people think it's a Montreal style program if they think skating to classical music means Papadakis/Cizeron as if P/C invented ice dancing to moody instrumental pieces. If you watch the Shibs' 2014-2015 Peter Tchernyshev -choreographed "O" exhibition (before P/C became THE P/C) you'd see a similar program in terms of mood and movement.

I agree, the new FD is much more like their 'O' than anything P/C have done.

samson

Medalist
Yeah I do feel like the Shibs are upping their game this year. I LOVE the choice of Spiegel for them. I can't remember another time this music has been used in skating. It's a risky choice because the music is so even and asks for a lot of presence, but I think after a season skating to Fix You they've kind of trained up to this music. That first lift isn't my favorite - I wish they had evolved it more from last season but maybe in time they will. I LOVE the stationary rotational lift though.

I like how they are playing with their movement quality throughout by being very soft and fluid and then suddenly doing something sharp and fast to reflect the subtle accents in the music.

They've found some really unexpected exits from elements like with their pairs spin which matches the music so well. It also seems like they are really understanding that their twizzles are their "inside outside spiral moment". The music change is very savvy there. The final lift is nice - I'm sure there's a reason he flips her to the front, but I kind of wish she stayed on his back/behind him somehow I feel like that would be more narratively powerful - but I'm also looking forward to seeing a better quality video (this one was wonderful though!) to get the full affect.

I think they are in it to win it this year which is great to see.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If I didn't know better, I would always mistake Charlie Bilodeau as Maxim Kovtun :laugh:. They look just alike except Charlie is more expressive/artistic/musical.