Practice reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Practice reports

mrrice

Record Breaker
:laugh: Both Simon and Chris are big on using old fashioned English sayings in their commentaries. Simon's particular fave though is "Ahead by a Country Mile" which he uses very often. I never knew a Country Mile was somehow greater in distance than a city mile!! :) BTW you've got a Scottish voice in Mark Hanretty on BES this weekend.

Yes, it's a distance. It's kind of like the expression "As the crow flies" Meaning, if you could drive straight up the mountain without taking a winding road, you'd be there in 10 minutes. When you drive, it'll take over an hour.

I hope Vincent will have his jumps together for his SP. I really love his LP and if he can keep himself in contention by skating well in his SP, he could get himself into the top 5 and in this field, that would be great. No reports of how Max is looking????

danse

On the Ice
...Although, for me, it doesn't quite match up to my all-time favourite B.ESP expression ... "Well that's throwing the cat amongst the pigeons!" :laugh2:

That's literally my favourite B. ESP quote. I grin every time I hear it! :party2:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
A great expression that, surprisingly, is not often heard on this side of the pond. However, after hearing one of the B.ESP commentators (Simon?) use it several times last year, I find that now whenever I hear it, it always triggers a smile! :) Merci!

...Although, for me, it doesn't quite match up to my all-time favourite B.ESP expression ... "Well that's throwing the cat amongst the pigeons!" :laugh2:

EDIT:
...Oh, Oh... and my second favourite expression by the infamous British (sometimes a Scotsman) duo... "Well that was a cracker!" :yahoo:

How about this one for your third favorite: "She didn't put a foot wrong!"

JustMe

On the Ice
I LOVE Sui/Han, but I do NOT enjoy this year's free skate (perhaps because I've watched Shen/Zhao's rendition of it like 1,000 times, but the music edit here doesn't seem to flow or build from one section to the next)...BUT, I still enjoy their skating skill, and the elements they execute, and of course I still want them to win the OGM, but I wish it were with a program I could be exited by...(love the short though). I was hoping they would have a different program here...oh well.
Funny, it's been 16 years since Shen/Zhao debuted their Turandot program, and to me it still feels like just a couple years back, lol.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I LOVE Sui/Han, but I do NOT enjoy this year's free skate (perhaps because I've watched Shen/Zhao's rendition of it like 1,000 times, but the music edit here doesn't seem to flow or build from one section to the next)...BUT, I still enjoy their skating skill, and the elements they execute, and of course I still want them to win the OGM, but I wish it were with a program I could be exited by...(love the short though). I was hoping they would have a different program here...oh well.
Funny, it's been 16 years since Shen/Zhao debuted their Turandot program, and to me it still feels like just a couple years back, lol.

Me too, I think they are fantastic. I noticed a lot a japanese skaters skate to music previously used by older skaters during the Olys or when they had a world title. Like a tribute. I'm guessing that's what they're doing.
But Sui/Han are so EDGY !! And cool !! We saw their FS last year twice only, can't they go back to it ? (I want to watch it on Olympic ice)

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I think the accent combined with his mumbling makes it hard to understand him sometimes.

I don't think he mumbles. Sometimes he speaks a little quieter as if doing a private aside to the viewer but then I'm used to Scottish/regional accents.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
EDIT:
...Oh, Oh... and my second favourite expression by the infamous British (sometimes a Scotsman) duo... "Well that was a cracker!" :yahoo:

That one is definitely Chris Howarth, and he's hanging on to those British expressions even though he's been coaching in the States for over a decade! Mind you, Chris Dean has lived in Colorado for 19 years and he still speaks with a Nottingham accent. :)

slider11

Medalist
He's not the best commentator but his accent makes my heart flutter a little :luv17:

I actually like him. He's a nice balance and I find his comments insightful. The accent is nice on the ears for a non-Anglo!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Hi Artur, wachu doin at CoC practice uploading 3As?

*sigh* guess I'll have to wait to see Max compete to see how he's going.

I was just about to ask about Max.....Again! Where is he? Has he decided to skip practice? I've seen clips from several skaters including Vincent and no clips or even a report of Max sighting.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was just about ask about Max.....Again! Where is he? Has he decided to skip practice? I've seen clips from several skaters including Vincent and no clips or even a report of Max sighting.

Max did *not* skip practice -- according to this set of on-ice Cup of China photos.

Max is in the seventh photo.

Go, Max :yay:.

ETA:

The photo of Max at Cup of China also was tweeted: https://twitter.com/opvnCRb5taVWHcT/status/925955929773711360 (Nov 1)

No scrolling necessary.​

... this site posted multiple other full practice vids e.g. Bobrova/Soloviev and Han Yan etc.

https://m.weibo.cn/u/1805036724?uid=1805036724&luicode=10000011&lfid=1076031805036724

And after scrolling thru the Weibo feed linked by Eclair :thank:, I see now that the same Max photo was there:

(I don't have a Weibo account, and in the past have not been able to see stuff there.
But Eclair's link is working for me :dance2:. Thank you, Eclair.)

LaArdilla

Medalist

Does anyone else have problems viewing these videos or is it just me? :( The page is loading forever and then stops. Do you use any special browsers or something?

Thank you for providing the links all the same! :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was just about to ask about Max.....Again! Where is he? Has he decided to skip practice? I've seen clips from several skaters including Vincent and no clips or even a report of Max sighting.

No, he was in some pics so he was there...it's just that people are so busy fawning over Zhou they're deliberately choosing to ignore the other US men here.