Skating Trivia Game | Golden Skate

Skating Trivia Game

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
OK, first of all, I admit that I stole this idea from another board that I never post on, but was lurking on a bit yesterday. It looks like a lot of fun and I personally found it fascinating because I found out some things about several skaters that I never knew before.

How it works is this. I'll post the first question, the next person tries to answer it then leaves a question of their own. However, it is not necessary to answer the previous question before posting your own; some may remain unanswered for a bit of time. And if there happens to be more than one previous question unanswered from previous posts, one can answer any or all as they like before leaving the next question.

Hopefully I explained that clearly enough; it's reading a bit murky to me at the moment, but then again I'm more than a bit tired.... :laugh:

Anyway, to begin --

What Torino Gold Medallist made their Olympic debut skating for a different country than the one they currently represent?

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
What Torino Gold Medallist made their Olympic debut skating for a different country than the one they currently represent?

Tatiana Navka
formerly of Belarus

Who was the last Olympic men's bronze medalist from Canada before Jeffrey Buttle?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
That was a good one, I actually had to look that one up....

Toller Cranston, in 1976.

Staying in the Maple Leaf Mode::biggrin:

Who are the only 2 Canadian ladies to medal at the 4 Continents?

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
That was a good one, I actually had to look that one up....

Toller Cranston, in 1976.

Staying in the Maple Leaf Mode::biggrin:

Who are the only 2 Canadian ladies to medal at the 4 Continents?
Annie Bellemare - Bronze in 2000
Cynthia Phaneuf - Silver in 2004

Who was the last American lady to win Nationals, Worlds, and Olympics in the same year?

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Annie Bellemare was one. Cynthia Phaneuf was the other.

This should be easy: the last time the reigning men's World champ won the OGM was in what year? who was he?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
Annie Bellemare - Bronze in 2000
Cynthia Phaneuf - Silver in 2004

Who was the last American lady to win Nationals, Worlds, and Olympics in the same year?

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

I think it was Kristi Yamaguchi.

What skater(s) attended Harvard Law School?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Paul Wylie (I think) :love:

What was Midori Ito's final placement in the 1988 Olympics?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Dick Button did too, didn't he? (I know he went to Harvard; can't remember if it was Law School or not).

Midori was 5th at the 88 Olys.

What member of several French Worlds Ladies teams in the '90s briefly skated pairs with Stephane Bernadis?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Annie Bellemare was one. Cynthia Phaneuf was the other.

This should be easy: the last time the reigning men's World champ won the OGM was in what year? who was he?

Oh -- and it was Scott Hamilton in '84. (Wow. That long.)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
Dick Button did too, didn't he? (I know he went to Harvard; can't remember if it was Law School or not).

Just to set the record straight -- Dick Button went to Harvard Law; Paul Wylie to Harvard Business.

What skater could go to Harvard Med, but couldn't go to Harvard as an undergrad?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Just to set the record straight -- Dick Button went to Harvard Law; Paul Wylie to Harvard Business.

What skater could go to Harvard Med, but couldn't go to Harvard as an undergrad?

Debbie Thomas?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Tonichelle said:
Debbie Thomas?

No, but good guess. I may not have made my question clear enough. When Tenley Albright was attending college and medical school, Harvard admitted women in the graduate programs, but for undergraduate studies, only men could attend Harvard, whereas women had to attend Radcliffe.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
It looked like this died off???? Let's keep it going man!!!!! Plus the last 2 answered but didn't come up with a Q.

2 for you....

The first film of a "figure skating" on it was of who? - it was a short and silent, that probably gives it away.

What FSer didn't achieve the "Olympic success" as a FSer and went into "Design" in the 70s, and are still prevalent today?

Yah one more.

Downer, What is known as the saidest day in FS history? IMO, saidest day in sports History.

OK 2 more, fun fun....

Ok another to get us happy again -
First woman to perform a 3lutz- 3loop in comp.:love:

Best smile in FS, hee hee thats just me - FS herself!:love: :love: :love:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
What FSer didn't achieve the "Olympic success" as a FSer and went into "Design" in the 70s, and are still prevalent today?

Vera Wang

Downer, What is known as the saidest day in FS history? IMO, saidest day in sports History.

Feb. 15, 1961. The plane carrying the US Figure Skating, their coaches and family members crashed killing all on board.

Who became a Mother for the first time before becoming US Champion for the first time?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
seanibu said:

Ok another to get us happy again -
First woman to perform a 3lutz- 3loop in comp.:love:

Irina Slutskaya.

What skater was criticized for being "unladylike" when she landed a double jump in competition?

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
seanibu said:

There's also a very hip young designer who is a former figure skater. Oksana Baiul has been spotted at his fashion shows. Who is he?

gio

Medalist
attyfan said:
Irina Slutskaya.

What skater was criticized for being "unladylike" when she landed a double jump in competition?

It was Theresa Wald at the 1920 Olympics. She landed a single (not double) salchow, the first jump done by a woman. So she was criticized for doing an unladylike element.
The first double jump done by a woman was a double salchow done by Cecelia Colledge.

Which competitions has Tatiana Malinina won?