Skating Trivia Game | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Trivia Game

gio said:
Which competitions has Tatiana Malinina won?
Most famously, the first Four Continents (1999). It was interesting because her country (Uzbekistan) counted as being in Asia, even though it was part of the USSR previously. Do their athletes also get to compete in Europeans?

She also won NHK in 2001.

What 1958 TV musical did Dick Button star in? (Hint: It also starred Tab Hunter, and it was set in Haarlem.)

MM :)

PS. Oops, Pixie Cut beat me to it. :)

Lonewolf

On the Ice
'Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates' was the TV musical that Dick Button was the star..

What year was the International Skating Union found?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The first film of a "figure skating" on it was of who? - it was a short and silent, that probably gives it away.

The earliest clip I ever saw was of Gillis Grafstrom skating figures. It was from an Olympic games where he had won gold, so it would have been either 1920, 1924, or 1928. (In 1932 he won silver. There was a mixup over what figure he was to skate on one of his figures). So it probably predates Sonja Henie.

I believe though that there is a clip of British aristocrats waltzing on ice that predates that.

DORISPULASKI said:
The earliest clip I ever saw was of Gillis Grafstrom skating figures. It was from an Olympic games where he had won gold, so it would have been either 1920, 1924, or 1928. (In 1932 he won silver. There was a mixup over what figure he was to skate on one of his figures). So it probably predates Sonja Henie.

I believe though that there is a clip of British aristocrats waltzing on ice that predates that.
There was a compilation on tape with one of those recent 'history of fs' which showed Messrs Salchow and Lutz and America's own Jackson Haines doing his contribution of the sitsspin. the sitsspin was the marvel of the times. Doesn't anyone have this tape? I don't cause I'm not a collector.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
Who became a Mother for the first time before becoming US Champion for the first time?
Was this Maribel Vinson-Owen?

What Olympic Silver medallist beat her countrywoman at the Worlds that followed?

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
When I first saw this I thought "oh, another one of those dumb posts" but I was surprised at how interesting it was.

I know you said if they had to look it up it was ok. So, is it ok if you look something up for a question? :rofl:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
hockeyfan228 said:
Was this Maribel Vinson-Owens?

Barbara Roles 1962 US Champion

She retired after winning the Bronze at the 1960 Olympics. She was married and had a little girl. After the plane crash, the USFSA officials begged her to come out of retirement for 1962. She was reluctant, in part, because she didn't want anyone to think she was taking advantage of the tragedy in order to finally get the title. The officials convinced her to come back and help them through that season. The rest is history.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
When I first saw this I thought "oh, another one of those dumb posts" but I was surprised at how interesting it was.

I know you said if they had to look it up it was ok. So, is it ok if you look something up for a question? :rofl:

I didn't create this thread so I can only claim I think that it was OK to look it up (and think I am the one to say that), either way. Education is the point of trivia, even if it can be totally pointless at times, still interesting in ways.

This is weak but to keep on with the thread -
The coach who was a part of the first Olympic Pairs team representing China?
Ya it's easy but I find the whole story very interesting.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
The Chinese coach would be Bin Yao.

OK. In regards to looking stuff up -- sorry I didn't weigh in on this earlier, but I was offline for a few days. I don't think there's anything wrong with looking things up; this is intended in part to be an educational thread. I myself mentioned having to look something up early on -- but it was something that I actually did KNOW, it just wasn't coming to me fast enough and I didn't have the patience to keep sifting through the Mental Archives at that point. 5, 10, minutes later, I would have gotten it on my own.

Regarding Malinina, one of my all time favorites: I believe her full list of international wins was: Golden Spin of Zagreb in '97, Skate Israel in '98, NHK in '98 and '01, Four Continents in '99, Grand Prix Final in '99. And yes, part of this I did have to look up....:laugh:

I want to say the ISU was founded in 1892, but I'm actually not sure of that one. I'm pretty sure it was 1890 something.

OK, next one.

What Junior World Ladies Champion was the sister of an Olympic medallist in gymnastics?

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
What Junior World Ladies Champion was the sister of an Olympic medallist in gymnastics?

Jessica Mills, sister of Phoebe Mills, who went on to become a diver in college. They have a brother who was a speed skater. He may have made an Olympic team.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Pixie Cut said:
Phoebe Mills, who went on to become a diver in college. They have a brother who was a speed skater. He may have made an Olympic team.

Now I did not know ANY of that....

How many National titles, together and seperately, were won by Kristi Yamaguchi and Rudy Galindo?

Lonewolf

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
I want to say the ISU was founded in 1892, but I'm actually not sure of that one. I'm pretty sure it was 1890 something.

You are right, 1892 is the correct answer.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Kasey said:

6 is correct. They won 2 Senior and 1 Junior Pair titles together; seperately, Rudy won the Novice Men in '82 and Senior in '96, and Kristi won Senior Ladies in '92.

One judge is/was held widely responsible for Judy Blumberg & Michael Seibert finishing off the podium in Dance at the Sarajevo Olympics. What country was this judge from?

Lonewolf

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
One judge is/was held widely responsible for Judy Blumberg & Michael Seibert finishing off the podium in Dance at the Sarajevo Olympics. What country was this judge from?

This was a hard one to answer, but I believe it was Cia Bordogna of Italy.

Okay, an easier question: Who was the first male skater to perform the double axel, triple loop, and the flying camel spin?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Since this steers away from the "answer a.." "give a Q..."

Another easy one.
Most decorated (metals won) of the Japanese figure skaters?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
And now for the question:

Which current skaters are competing in the discipline of their mother, who won multiple world championships?

CDMM1991

Medalist
seanibu said:
Since this steers away from the "answer a.." "give a Q..."

Another easy one.
Most decorated (metals won) of the Japanese figure skaters?

Fumie Suguri?

Now for another question: Who is the only female pairs skater to win two Olympic gold medals with two different partners?