Small question regarding Kwan's Long Program Music This Season | Golden Skate

Small question regarding Kwan's Long Program Music This Season

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Hi, on the USFS site:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/AthleteBio.asp?id=2267

They have Kwan's LP listed as " Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op. 18 by Rachmaninoff."

As you can imagine, as a Kwan fan, I went to look for the music on google and I noticed something weird. I never saw Prelude in C Sharp Minor with Op. 18. I always saw it on Op. 3 or something else, but never Op. 18. The only thing I saw that had Op. 18 was Rachmaninoff Concerto no. 2.

So, I wanted you music experts out there to clarify that for me. Am I missing something, is it not really a big deal? Or does that mean that Kwan might splice in some Rachmaninoff no. 2?

Thank you.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ok, someone on MKF just clarified that the USFS bio is a typo because on that Nationals program sheet it had this listed as Kwan's music:

Prelude in C Sharp Minor, Op. 3 No. 2 by Rachmaninoff.

I love Rach but I hate the opening bars of this piece. It sounds like a John Dunne famous poem about for whom the bells toll, they toll for thee. I hope these bells are left out.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I love Rach but I hate the opening bars of this piece. It sounds like a John Dunne famous poem about for whom the bells toll, they toll for thee. I hope these bells are left out.

Joe

I'm not familiar with this particular piece, but opening bars with "bells tolling for thee" does sound rather strange.

On the other hand, I loved the "Carmen" piece that Viktor Petrenko skated to for his 1992 and 1994 Olympic short program - tolling bells, included! :clap:

Thanks for the clarification, Vietgrl -- even if you did have to answer your own question, LOL. This seems to be a hard piece of music to find. Can anyone recommend a current CD?

heyang

Record Breaker
I went to Amazon.com to listen to a sample. I think it was on Rachmoniov's (Excuse the spelling) greatest hits.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Thanks for the clarification, Vietgrl -- even if you did have to answer your own question, LOL. This seems to be a hard piece of music to find. Can anyone recommend a current CD?

I can upload for you, if you don't mind downloading.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Vietgrl, interesting music.

Dee

Thanks, Vietgrl. This is certainly an old chestnut. I wonder Michelle's will be an orchestral version.

You can't leave out the "tolls for thee" (LOL) opening chords, since that three note theme is endlessly repeated throughout the work. It's dramatic and has plenty of natural spots for highlight elements. It does seem a little lugubrious, though.

millie

Medalist
What I didn't like about it is that it is a very depressing piece of music, very, very slow until you get to about the middle of the piece and then it picks up some steam. On the other hand, it could be a great CoP piece of music, back loaded to get the most points. At the beginning very slow, so that you don't use all your energy and then after the half-way point you got your energy for the big points. I don't know if that makes any sence.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
Thanks, Vietgrl. It does seem a little lugubrious, though.
That's what I thought too, Math. There are some very interesting parts that creates some excitementI thet hope she uses.

Dee

Oceanguy

Rinkside
MK Music

Wow, I love the seriousness and intensity of the music. It does seem abit depressing, but for me I am depressed thinking or knowing that MK will retire after this year. But, who knows, maybe she'll come back next year in an attempt to break the US Nationals record. Actually, she hasn't said anything yet regarding retirement has she? AB

Mathman said:
Thanks, Vietgrl. This is certainly an old chestnut. I wonder Michelle's will be an orchestral version.

You can't leave out the "tolls for thee" (LOL) opening chords, since that three note theme is endlessly repeated throughout the work. It's dramatic and has plenty of natural spots for highlight elements. It does seem a little lugubrious, though.
I'm using it for my funeral march.

Mathman said:

I'm using it for my funeral march.:laugh:

Millie - You're right. Much depends on the cuts she uses.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
By now, I thought that Michele would have learned the lessons of 1998 -- perky and bouncy wins. So she selects gloom-and-doom? Irina has learned the lesson. Her toe-tapping LP music will have the arena clapping and bouncing.

CDMM1991

Medalist
This music seems familiar but I can't think from what skater. Who has skated to it?

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
I'm using it for my funeral march.
Joe, you are too funny!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Actually that is what I thought of while listening to it.

Dee

Lucy25

Final Flight
I don't think we have any idea of the arrangement of Michelle's music or if there is another selection spliced into it. I think I will wait to actually hear it before I judge it.