Small question regarding Kwan's Long Program Music This Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Small question regarding Kwan's Long Program Music This Season

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think it's good that Kwan is showing some versatility in her choices. Her SP is up-beat, techno, and more suited for clubbin' while Kwan's LP is very somber and slow...until the end and classical.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lucy25 said:
I don't think we have any idea of the arrangement of Michelle's music or if there is another selection spliced into it. I think I will wait to actually hear it before I judge it.

I think it's pretty definite that she isn't splicing anything into the c-sharp minor prelude. Her USFS bio only lists the one piece. This is the same piece Jeff Buttle used for his SP about a year ago. It worked really, really well for him. I don't think many other skaters have used this music, so it's not really fair to call it an old chestnut. I think Michelle has the potential to skate a brilliant program to this music, which is one of Rachmaninoff's signature compositions.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i think it sounds very, very repetitive and somber. i hope there are plenty of cuts to 'liven' it a bit. doesn't build towards the end. we'll see....

jesslily

Final Flight
Is the music cut by TT also? I know she choreogrphed Michelle's short and long. I am wondering if the programs are that great as we assume. Both Johnny Weir and Shizuca Arakawa gave up this year's new programs done by TT, and took the old programs back. Arakawa even got the program of Callahan training time back. TT did two lousy programs for Johnny and Arakawa.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Maybe she put all of her talent into Kwan's?:biggrin:

I really hope so! I didn't think Arakawa's was bad, it was just that with her, and Goebel IMO, the programs were too busy and hard for them. Plus the bad version she gave Arakawa of Chopin didn't help matters.

MKbeauty

Rinkside
re. MK's Music

I'm a bit curious about Michelle's music cuts as well. Nancy Armour's description from the test skate sounds great:

"Her free skate music, Rachmaninoff’s “Prelude in C Sharp Minor,” is the soaring, majestic type that suits her best. Her footwork is quick, intricate and expressive, the kind of dancing on ice that can bring a house down. And the spin she did at the end of the session would stack up against anyone in the world."​

We'll see ..... :)

flowjo35

On the Ice
jesslily said:
Is the music cut by TT also? I know she choreogrphed Michelle's short and long. I am wondering if the programs are that great as we assume. Both Johnny Weir and Shizuca Arakawa gave up this year's new programs done by TT, and took the old programs back. Arakawa even got the program of Callahan training time back. TT did two lousy programs for Johnny and Arakawa.

It might have been the execution and not the programs themselves. A skater has to skate the programs up to their abilities. Did TT do the program that Johnny will be using at the olympics?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
flowjo35 said:
It might have been the execution and not the programs themselves. A skater has to skate the programs up to their abilities. Did TT do the program that Johnny will be using at the olympics?
I was under the impression TT & Platov did Otonal.

I have always wondered how much input the skater has in their program or should I say in the music choices. Some of the music has been so somber, I just can't believe the skater likes it. I would think any music the skater has becomes boring after a while.

Personally, as much as I like Johnny, I don't think HE did justice to the program. I think whatever the judges said about his program really got to him.

Dee

millie

Medalist
MKbeauty said:
I'm a bit curious about Michelle's music cuts as well. Nancy Armour's description from the test skate sounds great:

"Her free skate music, Rachmaninoff’s “Prelude in C Sharp Minor,” is the soaring, majestic type that suits her best. Her footwork is quick, intricate and expressive, the kind of dancing on ice that can bring a house down. And the spin she did at the end of the session would stack up against anyone in the world."​

We'll see ..... :)

Those nasty reporters, you can't believe a word they say or print.:rofl: :chorus: :rofl: :chorus:

MissCleo

On the Ice
CDMM1991 said:
This music seems familiar but I can't think from what skater. Who has skated to it?

I believe that Buttle used it as his SP last year. As far as the music cuts, the Prelude is rather short, so I think that she might have to use it all and maybe repeat some parts so that it will be long enough.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
VIETgrlTerifa said:
I really hope so! I didn't think Arakawa's was bad, it was just that with her, and Goebel IMO, the programs were too busy and hard for them. Plus the bad version she gave Arakawa of Chopin didn't help matters.

Does anyone think Arakawa may have changed coaches because of Tarasova's association with Kwan?

I don't think TT had all that much to do with Kwan except give her that funeral march for an LP.

I don't care where Kwan places in the Olys, if she can do something with that music, I'll eat the proverbial hat.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I don't think TT had all that much to do with Kwan except give her that funeral march for an LP.
:laugh:

I don't care where Kwan places in the Olys, if she can do something with that music, I'll eat the proverbial hat.
You might just end up eat the proverbial hat. If you have the same taste as MS.

That said, I don't like this version a bit. And this one does not sound like what MKbeauty quoted from that pool report.

JanJam

Rinkside
That music is bad! Rafael should tell Kwan to keep smiling and screaming and flapping her arms and bouncing all over the place amidst this dreadful music and maybe Kwan will have a shot at winning.

mzheng

Record Breaker
JanJam said:
That music is bad! Rafael should tell Kwan to keep smiling and screaming and flapping her arms and bouncing all over the place amidst this dreadful music and maybe Kwan will have a shot at winning.
That's exactly what TT told her NOT to do. She made sure there is non girlish hint in her skating to the programs. (it was said in Elle profile of MK).

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm sure that if Song of the Black Swan was leaked out prior to the 2000-2001 season, people would have hated it too. As long as Kwan feels this music and it brings out the best in her skating, I'm happy.

jciskate

Spectator
I'm new here and thought I respond about Michelle LP. I have heard all versions of Prelude. Some a little better than others. Michelle always picks interesting and not so familiar music and it always works for her. Some of her music in the past has not been my favorite, but she seems to pull it off. I am a little bit concerned about Prelude. People have told me to listen to different versions, and I have and I still don't like any version. I don't know what she will do with this music..I can only hope. In fact, it doesn't seem like a piece of music I would think she would skate to.:no:

millie

Medalist
I think that Michelle shouldn'd have changed anything with regards to her skating. It was the worst thing that she ever had done to go with TT. Up to this point all she got from TT was injuries, trying to change her and her skating. If Michelle had stuck with the way she has always skated and just try to up the ante, just a bit, she would have been better of. Now, all she got now is a funeral march and injuries to go with it. Just my opinion.:)