"Tanos" and increasing jump difficulty | Page 3 | Golden Skate

"Tanos" and increasing jump difficulty

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hah, I don't think that will happen (or hope it won't! :laugh:). A tano is a bit too much of a risk for skaters who can't execute them properly. Yeah, it could start a trend, but a 'tano is just one +GOE bullet. It won't determine or differentiate results. After all, many skaters have won without Biellmanns even though that always seemed to be the trend (again, not very significant in value either).

Miss October

Rinkside
Like everybody else on here, I noticed this too. There was a moment of "whoa" at each of them. I'm not sure about limiting them though...we don't want to be too stifling to young skaters expressing their styles and/or technical prowess.

Anyways, it's not like other skaters don't use their arms in repetitive motions to enhance "aesthetics" - *cough*Evgeni Plushenko*cough* - even though they may look very good when doing it!

starlight97

Final Flight
I think many skaters could theoretically do them, but like it has been said, not with such a security to put them in their competitive programs and especially not every single one out of the 6 existing jumps. !

Look at Sotnikova's Loops for example- she always kinda pulls one shoulder up and dances around a bit when she lands. It works for her, but I think tano would throw her off on those.
Or Lipnitskaya's Axels: She has a pretty unique technique on them, while most other skaters jump more 'upwards' she jumps 'forwards' therefore goes far but not high. Putting her hand up on those? Uh uh.
Gracie can do a 3Lz with both arms aloft- but she can't do them reliably.

What I'm saying is that I think it's not only sth others do not choose to do, but also sth many others simply can't do, or rather can't do it on so many kinds of jumps.
So good for you Evgenia.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Hmm… Evgenia may change some into Jason's variations.
Jason Brown did the 3F-2T in his Riverdance program with one hand behind his back - on the SECOND jump!

Earlier in the season he was doing it with BOTH hands behind his back.

jkun

Final Flight
Her Tano is actually pretty nice and aesthetic. I wouldn't mind seeing it once or twice. I do agree that having it six times is a bit excessive.

EDIT: Actually, let her do her thing.

elif

Medalist
Amazing she is jumping triples like that. :jaw: Most skaters only did tano double jumps.

bluebell0710

Rinkside
We will see Sakhanovich in Ljubljana this week. Let's see if she will keep her 3 tano jumps in the second half of the SP as previous season:think:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Has Gracie ever landed a Rippon lutz in competition? I know she can do it but I can't recall her doing it at a major event....

I see nothing wrong with Evgenia doing tano triples. Why limit it? It's not ubiquitous enough move that the rules should require limiting it a la the Biellmann position. Evgenia is one of only a handful of skaters who can do triples with that feature. More power to her. The name of the game is stack points where you can. If you can do something that very few can, use it to your advantage.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Has Gracie ever landed a Rippon lutz in competition? I know she can do it but I can't recall her doing it at a major event....

I see nothing wrong with Evgenia doing tano triples. Why limit it? It's not ubiquitous enough move that the rules should require limiting it a la the Biellmann position. Evgenia is one of only a handful of skaters who can do triples with that feature. More power to her. The name of the game is stack points where you can. If you can do something that very few can, use it to your advantage.

After watching this, I think it might be a good idea to be able to get credit for 1x in the SP or 2x in the LP for each of:
1) Difficult entry
2) Difficult air position
3) Difficult exit

Maybe that would help guide the skaters to exhibit a greater variety of jump variations, in which a skater can only achieve +3 with a solid jump that has one of the above features.

gotoschool

Medalist

I agree. That is what initially impressed me about Evgenia's programs is the way she incorporated the tano triples in so seamlessly, like it was totally natural, while other skaters I have seen draw attention to themselves because it seems more forced. It gave the sensation of a spinning top or a ballerina pirouetting in a wind-up music box and greatly enhanced the aesthetic beauty of the tight symmetrical spirals and rapid revolutions in her triple jumps. Besides, there are already too many rules that constrain the artistry of skaters, but I hope she doesn't do it more than once on a jumping pass or the unique effect won't last. Then again, twice on a pass with 3 jumps seems alright.

Meoima

Match Penalty
After watching this, I think it might be a good idea to be able to get credit for 1x in the SP or 2x in the LP for each of:
1) Difficult entry
3) Difficult exit
Maybe that would help guide the skaters to exhibit a greater variety of jump variations, in which a skater can only achieve +3 with a solid jump that has one of the above features.
Wait... What do you mean "difficult exit"? Hand over your head huh?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
1) Difficult entry
3) Difficult exit

What about allowing also for a change of position on combos? It seems that would be a reasonable option to include.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I actually think Chan's is the most difficult: edge change, back inside counter, free leg crossed under, twizzle. Why do you disagree?

But if it were up to me, I'd award the difficult exit bullet point for all of the above.

Alba

Record Breaker
I actually think Chan's is the most difficult: edge change, back inside counter, free leg crossed under, twizzle. Why do you disagree?

But if it were up to me, I'd award the difficult exit bullet point for all of the above.

I agree on the edge work, it's great. But he does that after landing and exiting.
Abbot and Dmitrenko both are quick in their exit/change.
I might be wrong though. I'm not an expert, but it looks more difficult to me.