"Tanos" and increasing jump difficulty | Page 5 | Golden Skate

"Tanos" and increasing jump difficulty

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
The thing is, a tano can be used to emphasise nuances in the music, if it is then that's clearly good choreography, it's the same as when a jump is placed in perfect timing with the music, which garners both GOE and should increase PCS. For example: http://youtu.be/AO83mG2awLI?t=45s

An example of a tano being used to accentuate the music would be Evgenia's 3Lz in her SP or Mao's 3-2-2 in her "Swan Lake" program (for the first half of the season anyway).

I hadn't even read this comment when I decided to post that exact sequence as a good example of using a tano jump to accentuate a performance. SO in time with the music and perfect in every way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zfJHd7woJU#t=203

zamboni step

Final Flight
Actually I can see a pretty good case for Tanos to be scored under choreo after restudying the criteria for awarding PCS. Mostly the Purpose and Proportion criteria but I would hope it wouldnt bare much weight on the final Choreography score. I guess it is subject to varying viewpoints in the end. TBH I think there is a case for a judge to even award higher choreo scores if so inclined. I also am very aware of how GOE and PCS scores tend to blend together and one thing can bleed over and affect the other both good and bad. What I am not sure though about is if it should be considered bad choreo for going to town on and doing excessive (to some) Tanos. Getting points is how you win. It doesn't matter now because Evgenia and Medvedeva haven't had any competition but come Nationals,GPF, and JWC it will be the little things to grab points that will make all a big difference in final scores and placements.

I tend to agree with you though when you say just doing something once or a lot doesn't mean anything. Obviously it's in the eye of the beholder at that point.

I'm sure both Evgenia and Medvedeva will do very well. :laugh: I think that how it affects the final PCS depends on the judge, personally I don't mind it and don't find it any different to not doing any tanos, but I can see why one would mind using a lot of tanos without the choreographic finesse of some skaters. Honestly after watching them both skate I'm more concerned about them doing their jumps back to back in the SP (I like the idea of leaving jumps to the second half but having all your jumps back to back always annoyed me), that would be what hurts their CH score for me more than anything else in terms of layout and variances.

mskater93

Record Breaker
To me, especially since it doesn't seem to enhance the choreography and both seem to whip their jumps around, that it's point-gathering only. Skating has lost it's artistic-ness since the inception of IJS. There comes along an occasional program which is coherent in construction, but not really enough programs that fit that bill...

Another skater who did it well, which comes to mind is Wagner before she added the 3T to the jump combo.

Macassar88

Medalist
Then again couldn't someone say the same thing about triple jumps in general? If someone wanted they could do beautiful delayed double jumps but no one does that anymore. Maybe a double jump would enhance the choreography more as well - but one one does it because they aren't worth anything.