Team Canada - Cheer Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Canada - Cheer Thread

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Who knows what will happen tonight. You all remember the men's sp at the last olympics. It was early in the morning and no one skated well, except like Shoma. I don't wish bad on other teams because our skaters are so inconsistent, but the results for every team could be wild coming out of the men's sp

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Livestream link: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1991643715869

FKsodn7WUAosqY_.jpg

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Dylan Moscovitch and Asher Hill's preview of the Team Event.

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Ouch. Very ouch.

Going to be very hard for Canada to even get to the long now, and CBC hasn't even started showing it 😥

Last edited:

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well... that was not great 😓

Hopefully Maddie can skate well, could still sneak us thru

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In other news, Messing is still trying to pass the test and they have had Chiu on standby to go at the last minute. Tough situation for Wesley. The ISU should really let them send alternates

I think the alternate thing is fine the way it is... you cannot have all the alternates traveling to the olympic games : where would they stay? It's also a lot of money... You cannot build an olympic village wing just for alternates for instance. Numbers across all sports need to be kept low. Usually, alternates are sent much earlier and in a less stressful manner because skaters are not on such standby. I am pretty sure that they will put Wesley on a place when they know that Keegan cannot make it in time and that will be fine. The real problem for me would have been not sending anyone. As long as Canada has two athletes in the men singles, i will be happy...

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I think the alternate thing is fine the way it is... you cannot have all the alternates traveling to the olympic games : where would they stay? It's also a lot of money... You cannot build an olympic village wing just for alternates for instance. Numbers across all sports need to be kept low. Usually, alternates are sent much earlier and in a less stressful manner because skaters are not on such standby. I am pretty sure that they will put Wesley on a place when they know that Keegan cannot make it in time and that will be fine. The real problem for me would have been not sending anyone. As long as Canada has two athletes in the men singles, i will be happy...
But since China didn't allow foreign spectators there must be hotel space. There should have been an exception to allow alternates in country given the need for alternates due to strict Covid protocols.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But since China didn't allow foreign spectators there must be hotel space. There should have been an exception to allow alternates in country given the need for alternates due to strict Covid protocols.
Space on site is only one reason.... imagine all the money spent if all alternates were always flown in. Who is paying for that? Also, lets' not forget one very important thing : the enemy here is not the ISU or the IOC or Skate Canada/COC. The enemy here is covid...if a skater has an injury or "regular" illness and cannot make it to the games : they will w/d and the alternate can fly in right away. Here, you get someone who is Canada's champion, 6th in the world, with more international competitive experience in the last couple years than any other Canadian (since he lives and trains in Alaska)... so Canada wants him there.... but he was waiting (read he is ok to fly now) . So the problem here is not the rules... it is the nature of Covid : not knowing when the disease will get out of the body enough to clear the tests.... while not greatly affecting the athlete... It does put pressure to the rules in place, I will give you that. But, those rules are efficient usually. In normal times, a skater would w/d and be replaced without a problem... now flying is a problem.... it makes even less sense in a situation like right now, to fly athletes "just in case" while traveling is so risky.

Ziotic

Medalist
Go Maddie! My wish for her is a clean skate and to break 70!

I know her goal is to get 200+ internationally and a 70+130 is feasible for her to achieve!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
WOO HOO, Maddie skated clean!!! :cheer2::dance3:What a star!!! 🤩 I was shaking like a leaf throughout her performance (I usually reserve that high level of anxiety for Roman, lol), and I squealed with joy at my TV after she successfully completed her last jumping pass!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
bravo Madeline !!!!! And now, that men are done, we can sit and enjoy watching our athletes get used to the ice ;)

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wanted to share Roman's post-TE FS interview with CBC TV, where he said that it felt like he was skating in someone else's body. There's a very brief clip near the end where you see one of his teammates (the consensus on the Canadian thread that it's either Michael Marinaro or Nikolaj Sørensen, but it's difficult to tell which one) cradling Roman's head while Roman cries into his chest. 💔 I just thought it was a touching moment where the team is providing him with emotional support after what has been a nightmarish Olympics for him.

I've been told that Roman's interview is geoblocked outside of Canada, so I took a screencap of the clip in the hope that someone outside of Canada is able to identify if it's Mike or Nik.

I just wish I knew for certain who it was because I want to give proper credit to the teammate who comforted Roman in such a tender way (with an intrusive TV camera nearby, no less) after he had a catastrophic long program. I'm sad to say that I've known plenty of people who are happy to trample on others when they're down (and we've of course encountered some of them on this forum), so I was really moved seeing this moment.

There's no denying that Roman is by far the weakest link in Team Canada, but I'm very relieved that none of his teammates appear to be angry at him because he endangered the team's chances to qualify for the FS, or that he definitely cost them a chance (however small) at getting the bronze medal. Whether it was Mike or Nik who held Roman in their arms, I think they're a total sweetheart, and they displayed team spirit at its best. Maybe I'm just overly emotional, but that was a really beautiful, heartwarming gesture to me. 💖

teamspirit.png

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Romsky's "My Olympic Experience" vlog; it's 32 minutes long! Topics include his paranoia about catching COVID-19 while on a crowded plane ride from Toronto to Vancouver, the overnight hotel stay in Vancouver and the chartered flight to Beijing being much more pleasant, the super-strict COVID restrictions in Beijing, the Opening Ceremony, the Olympic Village, how he felt about his competitive performances, and the freebies that he got as an Olympian ($7000 worth of clothing and accessories from Lululemon!).