Canadian Olympic Team Announced | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Canadian Olympic Team Announced

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh for sure. 100% put your best skaters in the SP, Skate Canada. Messing/Schizas/probably J+R/G+P.

TBH, I think Canada knows a medal is hard to get, and they already got team gold last time, so they'll share the love with their skaters and probably allow Messing and Sadovsky to do both segments, and split up pairs.
most likely scenario indeed.

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I don't think E/T will skate 4 more years. Brooke and Benjamin are already showing much better promise than them... Deanna and Maxime are stronger too, though they have some kinks to fix... and personally, if Lori-Ann and Thierry could get more consistent, I think they have much higher potential. They already have a better, more competitive layout, better throws and lifts.

Watching the competition thinking about 2026, and when I was thinking about the direction of W/M vs Deanna/Maxime and, crazy as it sounds, but barring injury, of the two I'd take Deanna/Maxime to get an Olympic spot that go around.

Other teams might rise to the challenge in the meantime (and hopefully a couple do), but given W/M's trajectory, I don't think they'll be a contender in 2026

mrrice

Record Breaker
Canadians, do think that Nam will retire after missing the Olympic Team? Is there any chance they're send him to 4CC?

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
They aren’t the team has been named. He alluded on instagram that he may not be done as he doesn’t want that to be his last skate.
He should probably take a significant chunk of time off. But it would be very nice to see him continue.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I felt very sorry for Nam because he had so much wanted to end the season on a high note (and I don't mean that the only high note would be OG qualification, but just having a good 'say good bye' skate - a bit like Elladj had in 2018) and he didn't. There were reasons for that but - and I appreciate this a lot - he has since then said he might continue to skate just to ensure he can end his career on a high note. Good for Nam!

rain

Record Breaker
I felt very sorry for Nam because he had so much wanted to end the season on a high note (and I don't mean that the only high note would be OG qualification, but just having a good 'say good bye' skate - a bit like Elladj had in 2018) and he didn't. There were reasons for that but - and I appreciate this a lot - he has since then said he might continue to skate just to ensure he can end his career on a high note. Good for Nam!
Well, I hope for his sake he can do it because it would be sad if this was his last competition. However, the issue is that he's already looked done with it for the entire season. I think if he sticks around he'll have to dig deep to find some motivation, because it looked like a berth on the Olympic team wasn't enough for him to do it this season.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
What happens to W/M now that they’ve made such a mess on social media and stuff? Will Skate Canada just ignore it or will it affect their future? When Roman was left off the worlds team after winning nationals he didn’t make a fuss about it and now he’s going to the Olympics. I’m just curious how much speaking out against the federation will impact their future.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
What happens to W/M now that they’ve made such a mess on social media and stuff? Will Skate Canada just ignore it or will it affect their future? When Roman was left off the worlds team after winning nationals he didn’t make a fuss about it and now he’s going to the Olympics. I’m just curious how much speaking out against the federation will impact their future.
Is it W/M speaking out, or just their supporters? I think if they themselves stay discreetly silent, they will be fine.

Ziotic

Medalist
Is it W/M speaking out, or just their supporters? I think if they themselves stay discreetly silent, they will be fine.
No, there is a news article where Walsh is quoted as saying after the short vanessa was in the change rooms discussing how their spot was already secured and they didn’t have to worry.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
No, there is a news article where Walsh is quoted as saying after the short vanessa was in the change rooms discussing how their spot was already secured and they didn’t have to worry.

Sounds more like a gossip article

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I dunno if I like the Olympic years. That's the first time I am watching 'season with Olympics' before Olympics... and there is drama even in Canadian pairs.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
They said Skate Canada didn’t bother to call them to tell them they weren’t going. Which made a pretty big mess. Then they gave a quote about how they overheard Vanessa say their spot is guaranteed and Evelyn said something about how wrong that was and what was the point of nationals, it really hurt them and she cried a lot over it. Now everyone is calling Vanessa a villain, saying she used “psychological warfare” against WM and she’s a bully etc, it’s pretty bad.

I can’t imagine skate Canada appreciates this kind of gossipy behaviour about their decision. I just wonder if there will be any repercussions for creating drama.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They said Skate Canada didn’t bother to call them to tell them they weren’t going. Which made a pretty big mess. Then they gave a quote about how they overheard Vanessa say their spot is guaranteed and Evelyn said something about how wrong that was and what was the point of nationals, it really hurt them and she cried a lot over it. Now everyone is calling Vanessa a villain, saying she used “psychological warfare” against WM and she’s a bully etc, it’s pretty bad.

I can’t imagine skate Canada appreciates this kind of gossipy behaviour about their decision. I just wonder if there will be any repercussions for creating drama.
you know, the criteria for Olympic selection is not just "nationals" so the thing about "what's the point of nationals" well... it's about getting funding and national medals for one, and getting assignments is another separate thing etc... which WM got plenty of.... it's about more than just the Olympics but also worlds, 4CC, and even GP events, and they have been selected plenty of times. Saying nationals is useless then, fine, they do not have to compete if that's what they believe.. Nationals achieved many things this weekend.

We fans know about all of this, so I am pretty sure Walsh knows this too. I am pretty sure that they knew that Vanessa and Eric were clearly in the lead prior to Nationals with their international showings. They knew that they were fighting not with JR but with MTM for their selection. MTM clearly dominated them at Nationals. Did they really think that they had a shot of earning a spot? There was one slim chance of doing that : only if MTM did very poorly and if they themselves brought something amazing... none of which happened. It was never about JR.

Also, I wish some people would use a bit more sympathy towards JR in the sense that they were sick! The way I see this is that they tried to compete. They mentioned they might withdraw but they did give it a try. It wasn't working out for them. They could have stayed home altogether as their international showings spoke for themselves but they had the guts to try competing. People should look at them with respect and compassion instead of the opposite.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
you know, the criteria for Olympic selection is not just "nationals" so the thing about "what's the point of nationals" well... it's about getting funding and national medals for one, and getting assignments is another separate thing etc... which WM got plenty of.... it's about more than just the Olympics but also worlds, 4CC, and even GP events, and they have been selected plenty of times. Saying nationals is useless then, fine, they do not have to compete if that's what they believe.. Nationals achieved many things this weekend.

We fans know about all of this, so I am pretty sure Walsh knows this too. I am pretty sure that they knew that Vanessa and Eric were clearly in the lead prior to Nationals with their international showings. They knew that they were fighting not with JR but with MTM for their selection. MTM clearly dominated them at Nationals. Did they really think that they had a shot of earning a spot? There was one slim chance of doing that : only if MTM did very poorly and if they themselves brought something amazing... none of which happened. It was never about JR.

Also, I wish some people would use a bit more sympathy towards JR in the sense that they were sick! The way I see this is that they tried to compete. They mentioned they might withdraw but they did give it a try. It wasn't working out for them. They could have stayed home altogether as their international showings spoke for themselves but they had the guts to try competing. People should look at them with respect and compassion instead of the opposite.

Oh I completely agree with all of this. I was more wondering how fueling drama might affect their relationship/future with skate Canada.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh I completely agree with all of this. I was more wondering how fueling drama might affect their relationship/future with skate Canada.
I don't think Skate Canada will hold a grudge... but I don't know. If I were Skate Canada, I would be compassionate for a little while.. they are young and hurt.. it's normal... then i would have a talk with them and say : if you are aiming for the olympics, you need to evolve in the right direction because there will always be better teams coming up.... and it's not so much about these other teams, but it's about your own level of skills and execution which may have been enough to be on the world team for a couple of weird years but it's not enough in general for the Canadian standard of pair skating. Look at the juniors : they are coming up and strongly at that. There are other senior teams who are improving steadily as well. If you want to go to the Olympics, you have to show you deserve it with strong international showings, and for this you need to improve.

Then it will be up to them to see where their potential really is at... should they change partners? should they change coaches? what kind of elements could make them stand out? how can they improve lifts and twist? How can they be more consistent with their SBS jumps.... is the throw triple toe enough? etc etc... is there training they could do to improve extension (ballet, dance, etc) there is so much more to improve... they are so young. They were very promising juniors but they haven't yet mastered skating at the higher senior level. For some teams, being in the second tier is satisfactory. If they want more, they need to earn it.

cisum88note

Rinkside
Sounds more like a gossip article
It was the London Free Press, doing an investigative piece on the practices of this Nationals versus Skate Canada's practices in the past. For instance, noting that previously teams who had placed in the top spots in nationals had been notified if selected or not. For some reason, that didn't happen this year with W/M - the first time anyone can remember. Also interviewing other people in the locker room who heard James saying that SC seems to have told them before the competition was over that they were already chosen. Raises some very valid questions about the organization and the need to have skaters travel across the country during a pandemic to "compete" for a spot if other skaters were being told before the competition they already had secured a spot, regardless of their participation.