Canadian Olympic Team Announced

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I think it's fashionable right now for some to be annoyed with the Pair choice, And I guess that's understandable

But if the team event medal comes down to points, This might be the only Olympic medal Piper and Paul,
Keegan, Madi, Mike and Roman could ever reach, They're all gonna be happier that their
federation chose a team that can potentially beat the pairs from Japan, Italy, USA and Germany in a SP
(If that is the assignment) and rake in 8 points instead of 4

Last edited:

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think it's fashionable right now for some to be annoyed with the Pair choice, And I guess that's understandable

But if the team event medal comes down to points, This might be the only Olympic medal Piper and Paul,
Keegan, Madi and Mike Marinaro could ever reach, They're all gonna be happier that their
federation chose a team that can potentially beat the pairs from Japan, Italy and the USA in
say a SP (should that be the assignment) and rake in 8 points instead of 5
I think P&P have a better chance medaling on their own, with Skate Canada not really having anyone else to throw their politics behind this go around and all

But yes, I think the JR decision is about providing come depth for their longshot hopes for a Team medal. I don't think they see a lot of long-term potential for WM beyond where they are... and I don't think they trust MTM with all their issues to be the only viable option for both pairs skates in the Team. As much as JR haven't inspired a lot of confidence either, they were the best of our bad lot on the Grand Prix circuit

HeadBanger

On the Ice
Country
Canada
So I’m thinking they are splitting pairs and men?
I don't think they'll split the men, but I guess it depends if we're still in contention for a medal after the short. If we're close, I think we'll only split the pairs... if we're out of it, could see giving Roman or the Cana-Danes a skate

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't think they'll split the men, but I guess it depends if we're still in contention for a medal after the short. If we're close, I think we'll only split the pairs... if we're out of it, could see giving Roman or the Cana-Danes a skate

I think they have to decide the assignments before the whole event starts (Or am I wrong?)
Which is why W\P couldn't be put on in that FD at the end 4 years ago :(

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
We're going to see 'Rio' in Beijing! So excited for the ice dance teams!
I think they have to decide the assignments before the whole event starts (Or am I wrong?)
Which is why W\P couldn't be put on in that FD at the end 4 years ago :(
I don't think this is the case. Russia had to substitute pairs at the last minute rather than men. Also V/M wanted to use the team event to test out their FD lift (although I do wish W/P could have won an Olympic medal)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Keegan, Madi, Mike and Roman could ever reach, They're all gonna be happier that their
federation chose a team that can potentially beat the pairs from Japan, Italy, USA and Germany in a SP
(If that is the assignment) and rake in 8 points instead of 4
They can be annoyed with the pairs choice (let's be honest it's out of dislike for Vanessa/Eric, not out of who is the more deserving team). However people feel about the Morgan Cipres situation or Radford dumping Duhamel, factually J/R are a more deserving team than W/M due to being unequivocally the better team this season.

But I'll post it again, the international scores of J/R versus W/M this season. Which makes it a no brainer when you see the numbers. Especially when you consider that W/M's personal best of 177.58 from 4CC 2020 is at least 10 points (well, 9.99 points to be exact) below all 5 of J/R's international scores in their first season together.

James/Radford:
CS Zagreb: 187.57 - 4th (their only head to head against W/M)
CS Finlandia: 190.58 - 5th
CS Autumn Classic: 184.01 - 2nd
GP CAN: 187.92 - 4th
GP FRA: 196.34 - 4th

Walsh/Michaud:
CS Zagreb: 168.87 - 9th
GP USA: 147.61 - 8th (they were last by over 27 points)
GP JPN: 167.98 - 7th

This definitely isn't the calibre of team/superstars we had 4 years ago, and we won't be getting nearly the same medal haul, if any, but there are some talented skaters and enough talent to have an outside shot at the team bronze, and hopefully a medal in ice dance too.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
W/M have had no fed backing all quad. Skate Canada have totally dropped the ball with them, just like with most other disciplines. J/R have been reputation scored all season, despite having no reputation as a team. That and they didn't even come back a season earlier and help gain 3 spots for the Olympics. It's just bad sportsmanship. That's why people are annoyed. A team that couldn't face losing at Nationals so dropped out and didn't compete and yet still got named to the team? We needed to see what they look like NOW, given the games are less than a month away. W/M look ready to go.

Canada probably won't get a TE medal anyway, Japan and Georgia both have very strong teams this year.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
W/M have had no fed backing all quad. Skate Canada have totally dropped the ball with them, just like with most other disciplines. J/R have been reputation scored all season, despite having no reputation as a team. That and they didn't even come back a season earlier and help gain 3 spots for the Olympics. It's just bad sportsmanship. That's why people are annoyed. A team that couldn't face losing at Nationals so dropped out and didn't compete and yet still got named to the team? We needed to see what they look like NOW, given the games are less than a month away. W/M look ready to go.

Canada probably won't get a TE medal anyway, Japan and Georgia both have very strong teams this year.

I have no idea what you're talking about, The Panels have been destroying them all season with levels,
Sometimes downright peculiarly, Plus their PCS score in the Zagreb FS was exceptionally low

Ziotic

Medalist

Based on seasons best, Georgia won’t even make the free. They will be behind China.