Canadian Olympic Team Announced | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Canadian Olympic Team Announced

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She is one of W/M's coaches
Ah okay... all the more reason to get her facts straight. By saying J/R didn't even medal is just factually incorrect. And it's highly misleading what she's saying because if she listed W/M results and scores this season in contrast to James and Radford it would become painfully apparent W/M didn't deserve the spot and Skate Canada would not be sending their top 2 pairs if W/M went instead of J/R.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
These are the only ones I can find really?

“There are a bunch of steps that don’t apply to (James and Radford) because they only teamed up 10 months ago. They have their results for this season, which they didn’t podium at any of them, and nationals, which they didn’t complete,” [Alison Purkiss] said.

Not sure who Alison Purkiss is but, gurl, get your facts straight. They podiumed at Autumn Classic, and never finished lower than 5th (including 4th at both of the Grand Prix). Wanna share W/M's season's stats/results, Alison? :rolleye:
'Not sure who Alison Purkiss is...' As a CFS fan, Really?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't think she is a big deal at all... Who else has she coached making a world team? I knew who she was just because of WM

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sadly, in some quarters of 'Canadian Figure Skaters and Athletes in general,' there has not been much 'play fair and support one another,' when it comes to the James/Radford pairing. The negativity and 'fashionable' prejudice against James/Radford as a team has not boded well for those engaged in harboring this negativity and uncalled for bitterness.

If W/M wished to make a case for themselves with Skate Canada for being selected to the Olympic team, then they should have focused on competing better across the entire season, instead of pulling out of early competitions and fostering a 'victimized, woe is me' attitude for most of the season. The same goes for KM-T/M, regarding competing better throughout the season, and dropping their 'victimized, overly entitled, feeling sorry for themselves' approach to the season.
I'm speaking for Canadian athletes as a whole group, and not just in Figure Skating. Personally, I feel the Beijing Olympics should be cancelled with Covid still being rampant world wide and not to mention the political strife and horrible human treatment by the Beijing regime.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I'm speaking for Canadian athletes as a whole group, and not just in Figure Skating. Personally, I feel the Beijing Olympics should be cancelled with Covid still being rampant world wide and not to mention the political strife and horrible human treatment by the Beijing regime.
Covid was still rampant worldwide when the Tokyo Olympics were held. It just wasn't particularly high in your backyard (which is incidentally why we're in this current mess, because of privileged countries, like Canada, not seeing beyond their shores and contributing to get medical supplies to developing countries, like those in Southern Africa).
Why do you say you're speaking for Canadian athletes when many of them want to go to the games? If you want to make a political statement, the diplomatic boycott will suffice. Moscow 1980 shows that a full boycott did nothing in the long term except stroke egos.

We're pushing forum guidelines a bit, I'll lay off now.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Covid was still rampant worldwide when the Tokyo Olympics were held. It just wasn't particularly high in your backyard (which is incidentally why we're in this current mess, because of privileged countries, like Canada, not seeing beyond their shores and contributing to get medical supplies to developing countries, like those in Southern Africa).
Why do you say you're speaking for Canadian athletes when many of them want to go to the games? If you want to make a political statement, the diplomatic boycott will suffice. Moscow 1980 shows that a full boycott did nothing in the long term except stroke egos.

We're pushing forum guidelines a bit, I'll lay off now.
Hmmm, interesting thoughts. Actually Canada did send most of our medical supplies that were used for SARS to China just before COVID hit our shores. We had quite a shortage of proper medical equipment here and yes, it took awhile for our numbers to go up but they did as in other countries. What I mean about our Canadian athletes, is that they will make Canada proud at these Olympics and I know they will take the proper measures to stay safe. I think you misread my post....

Last edited:
Reactions: xox

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Hmmm, interesting thoughts. Actually Canada did send most of our medical supplies that were used for SARS to China just before COVID hit our shores. We had quite a shortage of proper medical equipment here and yes, it took awhile for our numbers to go up but they did as in other countries. What I mean about our Canadian athletes, is that they will make Canada proud at these Olympics and I know they will take the proper measures to stay safe. I think you misread my post....
I was referencing the COVAX scheme that was meant to distribute vaccines equitably to lower-income regions in Africa, South America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East etc. Wealthy countries generally (including Canada, and even arguably China nowadays) have a short-sighted strategy of seeking only to repress cases locally, and hoping that if they shut the door and wait, the pandemic will magically go away. This is how Omicron came about. My country takes this strategy too, but to be fair we're small and don't have much global influence.

Your post stated that on behalf of Canadian athletes you would prefer the games cancelled, so I'm not sure what there is to misread?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sure, Canadian athletes would be 'protected' were the Games cancelled, but athletes all over the World, not just Canadian athletes, would be affected by a cancellation. But crud variations will still be going on whether or not the OG gets cancelled (which it won't, at this late date).

If protecting Canadian athletes is the main concern, then perhaps Canada should just boycott the OG and keep their athletes safe at home.

Roo87

Medalist
Without reading every post, and apologies if it's already been asked, but did they announce who the alternates for the Olympic team are?

Reactions: xox

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Without reading every post, and apologies if it's already been asked, but did they announce who the alternates for the Olympic team are?
I don't think so. If I recall correctly, Canada doesn't usually announce the names of the alternates. Sometimes it becomes public knowledge when the official entries are published, but on those lists the alternates are listed in alphabetical order, not order of preference.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Sure, Canadian athletes would be 'protected' were the Games cancelled, but athletes all over the World, not just Canadian athletes, would be affected by a cancellation. But crud variations will still be going on whether or not the OG gets cancelled (which it won't, at this late date).

If protecting Canadian athletes is the main concern, then perhaps Canada should just boycott the OG and keep their athletes safe at home.
I was referencing the COVAX scheme that was meant to distribute vaccines equitably to lower-income regions in Africa, South America, Southeast Asia, the Middle East etc. Wealthy countries generally (including Canada, and even arguably China nowadays) have a short-sighted strategy of seeking only to repress cases locally, and hoping that if they shut the door and wait, the pandemic will magically go away. This is how Omicron came about. My country takes this strategy too, but to be fair we're small and don't have much global influence.

Your post stated that on behalf of Canadian athletes you would prefer the games cancelled, so I'm not sure what there is to misread?
Rest assured Canada is doing it's part to help other countries with their medical needs to fight COVID. I didn't say on behalf of Canadian athletes, I said in my opinion on behalf of the entire globe perhaps holding the games another time would be a better idea. What I meant by speaking for Canadian Athletes and Figure Skaters is that they will work safely as a group and cheer each other on just like they did at the summer games - sorry for the misleading message. I hope this is the end of our discussion.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The athletes most likely to be excluded are the ones who present a threat to China's team. The biggest threat is the Russian pairs, who stand in the way of Sui/Han's OGM.
Then there are the US men (Chen and Zhou), but Boyang Jin is so wildly inconsistent that I'm not sure he's a podium threat at all. The Chinese do not have any strong women, but they may not want to see Russia sweeping the women's event. In ice dance, they do have a good team in Wang / Liu, but it's a huge leap from 13th at 2021 Worlds to the Olympic podium. Multiple teams from the US, Canada and Russia would have to be turned away.

China doesn't seem to give a **** about world opinion, so they will do what they want.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, you make a good point. I wish the 2022 Olympics was being held elsewhere, especially due to human rights concerns, as well as COVID concerns. I feel for the athletes, so I want the games to go forward, but not in China. IMO, the IOC is part of the problem as they only tend to give abuses by countries such as Russia and China a soft slap on the wrist, and then look the other way (probably largely due to monetary aspects, i.e., making money is the bottom line).