US Team: 4CCs and Worlds (updated) | Page 47 | Golden Skate

US Team: 4CCs and Worlds (updated)

My original comment was in response to el henry -- and either in this thread and/or other thread(s), she has criticized others for being nowhere near the rating of "five Tollers" that she gives to Jason.

And el henry has been very clear in predicting that catching up to Jason's five Tollers ain't gonna happen no matter how hard other skaters work -- and in asserting that Jason has a special gift that others never will have...

Still, we have to cut enthusiastic fans some slack. If we didn't, then we wouldn't have any enthusiastic fans and the board would have to close.

It's a competitive sport. If I say, my guy's the best, this means he is better than the other guys (pity the fools).

Where would we be without Karne? Or rather, where would Max Aaron be? :)

I am just lucky that my lady has retired, so I don't have to be mean to all the others any more. ;) (Go Shibs.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Still, we have to cut enthusiastic fans some slack. If we didn't, then we wouldn't have any enthusiastic fans and the board would have to close. ...

I think you are saying that we have to cut enthusiastic fans of every skater -- with or without quad(s); with or without high PCS; younger/older; etc. -- some slack.

If so, it is reasonable to me that GS is a place for even-handed slack-cutting as a two-way street.

Or better yet, as a multi-directional intersection (to broaden/torture ;) the metaphor).

lakeforest

Rinkside
I don't know, I don't know. I really took notice of Nathan Chen's remark that what motivated him to learn so many quads was not to catch up to the the guys who were ahead of him, but rather to hold off the (even) younger generation whom he saw practicing.

Can you provide the link? Because I don't remember seeing such remarks anywhere. He did say that he is doing five quads because it's something he can do at this age. It's going to be hard when he gets older. He wants to own more quads now so he has more jumps to choose from in the future. In my impression, Nathan is very careful not involving himself in rivalry with other skaters. He always says things like I focus on improving myself... Etc. That's one quality about him I like very much. So I found those remarks so not Nathan.

cl2

Final Flight

I don't know, I don't know. I really took notice of Nathan Chen's remark that what motivated him to learn so many quads was not to catch up to the the guys who were ahead of him, but rather to hold off the (even) younger generation whom he saw practicing.

Can you provide the link? Because I don't remember seeing such remarks anywhere. He did say that he is doing five quads because it's something he can do at this age. It's going to be hard when he gets older. He wants to own more quads now so he has more jumps to choose from in the future. In my impression, Nathan is very careful not involving himself in rivalry with other skaters. He always says things like I focus on improving myself... Etc. That's one quality about him I like very much. So I found those remarks so not Nathan.

I thought it was Hanyu who made that comment, but I don't know if Chen made similar comments.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still, we have to cut enthusiastic fans some slack. If we didn't, then we wouldn't have any enthusiastic fans and the board would have to close.

It's a competitive sport. If I say, my guy's the best, this means he is better than the other guys (pity the fools).

Where would we be without Karne? Or rather, where would Max Aaron be? :)

I am just lucky that my lady has retired, so I don't have to be mean to all the others any more. ;) (Go Shibs.)

The Lone Ranger joke *and* the A Team? :agree: I will gladly take on the mantle of B.A. Baracus, although he has much better jewelry and style. :laugh:

,Can you provide the link? Because I don't remember seeing such remarks anywhere...So I found those remarks so not Nathan.

I thought it was Hanyu who made that comment, but I don't know if Chen made similar comments.

I can't find anything about this now. Maybe I remembered it wrong. To make amends, here is a nice article from the Detroit Free Press abput Nathan's stay in Canton. (This writer, Jeff Seigel, is cool. He treats figure skating as a real sport, and he has written a lot about the Canton ice dancers.)

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...nathan-chen-us-figure-skating-title/97181906/

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're right, I remember Hanyu saying that now ... although I didn't recall it until you reminded me.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:agree:

concorde

Medalist

Something similar is in the Time Magazine's "ice Prince" article on Nathan Chen. I am on my phone so I can't give you the link; however, if you go into the current GS "Ice Princess" thread, the link is there on either page 2 or 3.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope you are ready for when posters start asking for an explanation of what that Lone Ranger joke is all about. :laugh:

It was different back then, wasn't it. In 2010 it was, what do we have to do to coax skaters into attempting quads when the rules are slanted against it. What a difference a seeming tiny change in point values has made.

Let's not be speaking unkindly of the Lone Ranger, and especially not his sidekick.