US Team: 4CCs and Worlds (updated) | Page 45 | Golden Skate

US Team: 4CCs and Worlds (updated)

evasorange

Final Flight
I think Adam will retire before next season starts.

unless he has some really unfortunate setbacks with his injury I seriously doubt that. When he first announced the injury and that he was pulling out of nationals he made a comment to the effect of "this will all be a part of my Olympic story" I know this would literally never ever happen but my dream pyeongchang mens team would be Adam, Max and Jason. I don't think any of them will be around for the next Olympics after that. Nathan and Vincent are just getting started! and how exciting it is. But Max Adam and Jason...those guys have been in it so long I am really sentimental about them.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Adam will retire before next season starts.

*puzzleface*

Why? I mean sure, the injury's not ideal at this point in his career and it doesn't look like he's back on the ice yet (from his social media postings), but he was in good form before the injury and the judges still seem to like him. Why would he retire now?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I know this would literally never ever happen but my dream pyeongchang mens team would be Adam, Max and Jason. I don't think any of them will be around for the next Olympics after that. Nathan and Vincent are just getting started! and how exciting it is. But Max Adam and Jason...those guys have been in it so long I am really sentimental about them.

Well, I wouldn't say it could never ever happen. The ice is slippery for everyone, after all.

For me though, I'm afraid I'd rather have Max, Jason and Joshua. Although that level of adorable might be a bit much for Korea to handle. ;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max hasn't been landing the quads that he needs to place well, and his presentation skills are still largely undeveloped. I just can't see Max getting an Olympic berth based on his recent body of work.

IMO, Max needs to get away from Tom Z and find a coach that is interested in developing a complete skater. Tom Z is all about the jumps, nothing else.

I've always admired Josh, but he's been away for so long that I'd have to see how he stacks up against the top skaters. His 'body of work' is lacking and that will hurt him in consideration for the Olympic team, even if he places top 2 at Nationals 2018.

Jason's potential to make the Olympic team may hang on how he does at 2017 Worlds. He may actually need to save that third spot in order to have a shot. If he winds up out of the top 10, that will lower the value of his 'body of work'.

Right now, Nathan and Vincent, both ISU Championship winners, are looking very, very good. If their successes continue into the fall competitions, they will be hard to beat.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Right now, Nathan and Vincent, both ISU Championship winners, are looking very, very good. If their successes continue into the fall competitions, they will be hard to beat.

You do know that Joshua was the Junior World Champion the season before the last Olympics, right?

concorde

Medalist
Jason's potential to make the Olympic team may hang on how he does at 2017 Worlds. He may actually need to save that third spot in order to have a shot. If he winds up out of the top 10, that will lower the value of his 'body of work'.

100% agree with this statement. I always felt Ashley "earned" her spot (#3) at the Olympics by her performance as Worlds the year before.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As Karne has pointed out (since her point seems to have been completely missed;)) Josh Farris was the Junior Worlds champion in 2013. That did not make him the automatic heir presumptive to the number two spot for the Olympics in 2014. And Josh did not make the 2014 Olympics team.

I certainly don't mind folks supporting their faves. But acting as though his performance at JW makes Vincent the automatic no. 2? Yeah, right.:rolleye: Vincent will need to earn it. As will Jason, or Max, or Adam, or Josh. (Even I think Nathan is a lock unless he's in a body cast, but stranger things have happened there too...)

I certainly don't mind folks supporting their faves. But acting as though his performance at JW makes Vincent the automatic no. 2? Yeah, right.:rolleye: Vincent will need to earn it.

Actually. I think Vincent Zhou's performance at Junior Worlds does make him the automatic no. 2. It's a new world (Golda). In the brave, new world you have to have four quads in the LP. That will get you second behind the guy who has five.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually. I think Vincent Zhou's performance at Junior Worlds does make him the automatic no. 2. It's a new world (Golda). In the brave, new world you have to have four quads in the LP. That will get you second behind the guy who has five.

But you're assuming that those who will attempt four and five will land them, which is a huge assumption and doesn't actually match any result we've seen so far.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well, in the brave new world where the sport we follow is called "ice jumping", yes, let's count the quads.

And if I continue to follow the brave new sport of ice jumping, how many quads you *land* in any particular comp will win you that comp. Remember, I'm a proponent of the one comp rule ;) Winning JW doesn't mean you will land the quads in any subsequent comp.

But now Jason is up to ten million (combined) views of Riverdance, maybe I'll just stick with the great unwashed....

ETA: typing at the same time as Karne. And I am unfortunately more wordy...:biggrin:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But you're assuming that those who will attempt four and five will land them, which is a huge assumption and doesn't actually match any result we've seen so far.

Oh come on. No need to downplay anyone's accomplishments and assuming they may fail is no different than assuming they may succeed :think:

Not sure I see your pessimism as being any different than any optimism you seem to be so against. I think Nathan and Vincent have many bright events ahead of them in my less than pessimistic opinion. :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh come on. No need to downplay anyone's accomplishments and assuming they may fail is no different than assuming they may succeed :think:

Not sure I see your pessimism as being any different than any optimism you seem to be so against. I think Nathan and Vincent have many bright events ahead of them in my less than pessimistic opinion. :)

The problem is not whether Nathan and Vincent have bright futures. The problem is posters using those futures to belittle other skaters (usually Jason) with "oh, he hasn't got a quad, and these others have so many many many quads, it won't even be a contest, Jason's done, he's toast, the young kids are a comin', they're a blazin', yippee ay aye you done-for skaters without the quad"

And we are not being over-sensitive, that has been done and said. It's a long thread.:laugh:

To drive a metaphor completely into the ground and put a stake in its heart, "O brave new world, that has such quadsters in it!":drama:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been staying out of this thread but I've been lurking it at times. Personally I think Nathan and Vincent are getting the same downplaying that Jason is getting. Why downplay any of them and especially what they've accomplished. That's all I have to say really.

Last edited:

Well, in the brave new world where the sport we follow is called "ice jumping", yes, let's count the quads.

I don't know, I don't know. I really took notice of Nathan Chen's remark that what motivated him to learn so many quads was not to catch up to the the guys who were ahead of him, but rather to hold off the (even) younger generation whom he saw practicing.

I remember how astonished we were (at least I was) when Patrick Chan added a quad to his repertoire, without sacrificing his blade skills and refinement of movement. I remember how impressed I was when Yuzuru Hanyu did two quads in the SP and three in the long at the 2015 NH and Grand Prix Final, while still mesmerizing the audience with his choreography and in-betweens. I can foresee a "next generation" that takes multiple quads for granted, without disappointing us in other aspects of their skating.