Virtue & Moir vs. Papadakis & Cizeron | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Virtue & Moir vs. Papadakis & Cizeron

BlackAxel

Final Flight
V/M have done Latin 3 times and they were good everyone. i even loved their '06 Latin. I wish I had the OD from Junior Worlds every year.

My point exactly. V/M know how to skate to Latin programs and I expect next season's SD will be nothing short of spectacular!

BlackAxel

Final Flight
It is pretty clear V and M will not win gold at the Olympics. PC seem to have the momentum and judges favour deserved or not. I think technically V and M are more vulnerable BUT to be fair P is vulnerable as she is not as strong as C. PC seem to get too high pcs. They are almost the same as V and M who should be like Chan, Kostner or even Hanyu. Except V and M are not that technically weak like Chan with that many errors. V and M should have a wider lead in pcs. And technically PC should find it hard to beat V and M without serous errors because she has major issues or skating deficiencies compared to him. But PC seem to be the chosen ones.

There is no doubt that the judges are ready to crown P/C as the next king+queen of Ice Dance BUT ... that ceremony has been delayed once Virtue/Moir started this season. I just dont see P/C bridging the gap between V/M with their mediocre SD and FS. Unless, Virtue/Moir falls, messes up a twizzle, or butchers a step sequence ... They have Worlds already in the bag.

Though anything can happen next season. Though I find it unlikely that P/C will have an upperhand on V/M with a latin SD.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To me, Virtue Moir are better skaters but Papadakis Cizeron are better dancers. I have the feelings P/C will take the lead in the olympic season even if the 2017 season could be lost

IMO, Guillaume and Tessa are the two best dancers. I know Tessa had ballet training (she was recruited by the National Ballet of Canada but turned them down) and IIRC Guillaume also has ballet training (am I making that up?). The instagrams of the two of them practicing hip hop are awesome. And as others have said, V/M are dancers with a greater range that they can do exceptionally. As whole teams, I personally wouldn't rank P/C as better dancers than V/M. Better that their specific style maybe, since they own that style, but not overall.

It's because you had years to see them skate as opposed to P/C

As other posters have said, this isn't the reason for that perception. V/M have been a strong SD team (and even CD in their early years), since the beginning, while that hasn't been P/C's strength. They are lovely skaters, but they do best when they can skate their style. I'm not saying their short dances suck or anything crazy like that, to be clear.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That's not really true. V/M were around P/C's age when they did their Latin FD and their Spanish OD. By their early 20s, V/M had shown far more range and skill at that range than P/C.

I doubt V/M will win the Olympics though. I just can't fathom the judges giving them another gold medal when they have a very worthy alternative in P/C. The politics and wave against them will just be too strong. I don't necessarily think they think they will win either, but their 2014 experience with Marina was really unsatisfying and I think they want to go out on their own terms.

When they announced their comeback Scott told the London Free Press: "We're not coming back unless it's to become Olympic champions again. If we're in, we're in."

So I would say they think they can win.

It is pretty clear V and M will not win gold at the Olympics. PC seem to have the momentum and judges favour deserved or not. I think technically V and M are more vulnerable BUT to be fair P is vulnerable as she is not as strong as C. PC seem to get too high pcs. They are almost the same as V and M who should be like Chan, Kostner or even Hanyu. Except V and M are not that technically weak like Chan with that many errors. V and M should have a wider lead in pcs. And technically PC should find it hard to beat V and M without serous errors because she has major issues or skating deficiencies compared to him. But PC seem to be the chosen ones.

Kind of an odd statement to make considering V/M have just beaten them in two straight competitions. And I'm not saying that means V/M are sure to win or anything, but obviously he judges like what they're doing a lot and at the moment they have to be considered the ones with the momentum.

I certainly don't think the judges will be against them winning it or that anything is pre-determined. Politics are always part of the game of course, but the idea of some sort of wave against them is silly and not supported by anything we've seen since they came back.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Though anything can happen next season. Though I find it unlikely that P/C will have an upperhand on V/M with a latin SD.

So I don't understand how everyone is convinced P/C will win the Olys with V/M being so superior and blowing everyone out of the water in the Latin SD. Sounds like V/M will win. If judges were so enamored with P/C, they probably would have won the FD portion in the GPF, at least the PCS especially with Scott Moir really messing up one of his twizzle set, but they didn't. Too me, judges seemed to be thrilled by V/M's come back and are ready to reward them big time. Personally, I'm a huge P/C fan but I can see how they need to up their game facing V/M, first off they need to skate without any mistakes.

As for the SD, I thought their Paso Doble was a very nice interpretation, it had an intensity and a lot of sensuality. They were sizzling hot. They can perfectly do steamy (see also Boston Ex) which could be great for next year Latin SD.

Finally, contemporary vs ballroom and style hopping. Why would one want all the teams to skate the same way ? I don't want P/C to look like V/M. V/M have their style and can do ballroom and hit beats like no one else. P/C put an emphasis on movements and strong upper body expression. They love exploring moving like contemporary dancers on the ice. How many teams are doing that ? I mean do we want all the teams to be style hopping ? that would be boring too IMO. I enjoy their approach of choosing challenging unused music and deepening, year after year, their interpretation in one specific style. Again, who is doing that ? People label it as a lack of versatility or boring or not challenging enough. I think a lot of artists do explore one style all their life trying to get deeper everytime. Now one could object ice dance is not just an art but a sport. Well, it is an hybrid of both. I tend to prefer teams who explore the dance/art aspect of it and I find it refreshing, in our constantly impatient and busy world, that a team would take the time to develop their interpretation over several years but it's merely a personal taste. Plus, P/C are excellent athletes too so they do combine both (even though their technique can still improve in sharpness) But I can see how many could be irritated to see such a team winning.

Bottom line, they're both excellent teams. I would be upset to see P/C loose the Olys esp. since V/M has already gold and silver but that's the game. I definitely don't think the gold is written in stone for the French and for all we know, we might be shocked by a third team coming in and upsetting everyone like the the Shibs (thinking of you VIETgrlterifa ;) )

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping that C/L win the olympic gold :p

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
good post cocotaffy... this one here ^^ but more importantly, the previous one.

I like both teams. I agree they have their own style and they present it very well and convincingly.

Since V/M's return though, what I have felt when watching P/C is a lack of rhythmic cohesion. Yes, their movements are gorgeous and beautiful but sometimes, I find that it doesn't work with the music itself. They are skating to the emotion, rather than the rhythm. I think they can do both and that's where I'd like them to improve.

However, as you have said, the level is so high that the winning team will be the one skating clean and of course, hitting their levels with consistency. I think we saw that in the SD where the Shibs were ahead of PC.

My last point is that even if I appreciated PC's free dance every year including this year (which I find the most challenging to appreciate compared to the previous 2) I think they have a hard time surprising and subliming us with it as they did with the Mozart. That was a truly transcendental performance and truly what earned them their special place in ice dance royalty... I long for something of that caliber and I am not sure this year's FD can match the Mozart... I think VM suffered from that themselves after their brilliant Mahler... it takes a lot of research and commitment to better oneself after a masterpiece.

I think this year, unless there are major mistakes here and there that the GPF podium will be repeated at worlds. Next year??? We will see....

Last edited:

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I'm hoping that C/L win the olympic gold :p

I've personally had a hate-hate relationship with them ever since they stole the World title from Pechalat & Bourzat in 2014, but I'd love for that to happen just to see all the PapCiz & Voir ubers explode. I'd especially enjoy that if these two teams bring us the same Montreal schlock for next season.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
VM will probably win Worlds if they skate like they did at NHK and GPF. And if the Shibs can strengthen their FD, they could even take silver. Is that a sacrilegious thing to say around here?

I love PC but I'm not in love with either of their programs, and don't feel like their place as #1 or #2 is a necessarily a given.

Alex D

Record Breaker
The team with the fewest mistakes will win, as seen in the past few competitions and it would be rude to all the other dancers, if we just ignore them and already crown one of these two as the champions. Keep in mind, pretty much all the other top dance pairs, made at least one or two mistakes in the last few weeks. It cost them a lot of points and a better placement in the starting groups.

As for the two mentioned in the OP,

Tessa and Scott, have great difficulty, while yet not breaking a sweat and this you see especially, if they compete in a group with "less balanced" dancers. It just looks so effortless and always on point for the Canadians and they are with all due respect, the only dancers who actually improved visibly over the past few weeks. They also understand how to use a musical phrase for their elements, to get that little bit of extra "wow" effect and they always use it late in the programs, which makes it much harder for the judges to "forget" said elements. It´s just very smart and experienced skating.

That being said, the French team has a very soft edge, they touch and yet don´t - which was especially noticeable at their home GP event. At times you knew they were skating together in the Free, but their holds were so soft, it was magical if you ask me. I also feel that Guillaume is a very artistic dancer, with great ballet skills, which can squeeze out a few extra points as well.

But as I said, we will see what happens, there are lots of great dance pairs these days so whoever claims the title, we as fans and the sport can only win.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Since V/M's return though, what I have felt when watching P/C is a lack of rhythmic cohesion. Yes, their movements are gorgeous and beautiful but sometimes, I find that it doesn't work with the music itself. They are skating to the emotion, rather than the rhythm. I think they can do both and that's where I'd like them to improve.

I agree with you on that point. As much as I love the type of deep emotions they can evoke, they do need to do both better. The first part of their FD music is extremely hard to interpret though as the beats are not so clear and regular. It is a challenge they undertook and still a work in progress but it has the potential to be mesmerizing. GPF perf was already much better in that respect, really raw emotions and sharper movement with speed in the first part. But it could be even more staccato.
V/M's return will push them getting better, training alongside will hopefully inspire them in that area.

BTW, thanks for your compliment. I'm always wary to post about P/C because I can't really be objective about them so I usually avoid posting in thread directly comparing V/M and P/C plus it often turns ugly. But so far, the conversation is very interesting and civil.

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
If competitions don't evolve they wither. Ballroom dancing is taking care of in the SD and its very specific requirements. P/C might not have had a classical waltz in 2015/16 but they did have the beat. I don't see what the pass you are mentioning is supposed to be about but I am guessing that you are also reacting out of a negative personal experience with the judging system. You cannot lay that at P/C's door. They are not in charge of the judging.

It's a sport, with specific requirements. You can't ignore the offside rule in football and then claim your goal should be legitimate because you are "innovating and evolving". Ice dance was managing perfectly well before P/C's so called evolution.

Let me explain the SD for you: the ravensburger waltz must be skated to a 3/4 beat at a tempo of 198 bpm. P/C's music switches between 6/8 and 12/8. That is not what was specified in the technical requirements for the season.

What should happen in this case is that each key point receives N from the judges if the edges are incorrect, and T instead of Y if the edges are correctly executed. It cannot receive Y as it is not skated to the required rhythm. See the protocols for Agafonova/Ucar from the World Championships in 2013 - Pattern 1 recieved TTT, Pattern 2 NNT, and a 1 point music tempo deduction overall. As a consequence, they did not qualify for the free dance.

However, P/C and Marie France admitted in an interview after Euros that they were told by the judges that there was not the required tempo in their music for the SD, so for Worlds, they forced it with an added drum beat, so they were technically within the rules in Boston. But why were they not judged properly for the music violation at Euros? There were defined requirements and they didn't meet it, and they should have been judges the same as a single skater would have been if they don't meet the requirement of a triple jump in combination in the SP.

It's the same for the FD - skaters are supposed to use music with an audible rhythmic beat, skate primarily to the beat, and not have the beat drop out for more than 15 seconds at a time within the program. P/C are far from the only offenders here, but their last two FDs have not met these requirements. And yes, it's not P/C's fault that the judges don't pull them up on this, but why are is the Gadbois team even deciding in the first place that they don't have to bother to meet these requirements? It is entirely possible to be expressive and tell a story and still push boundaries within these fairly simple parameters - see many of the programs of the Kerrs, the work Petr Tchernyshev did with W/P & the Shibs last season particularly on the construction of their step sequences, Delobel & Schoenfelder's Great Gig, V/M's Latin FD, G/P's Hitchcock, H/D's Picasso... And the fact that P/C continue to come out with open programs with no rhythmic driver or variety is starting to make me think they just aren't capable of it.

peepsquick

Final Flight
It's a sport, with specific requirements. You can't ignore the offside rule in football and then claim your goal should be legitimate because you are "innovating and evolving". Ice dance was managing perfectly well before P/C's so called evolution.

Let me explain the SD for you: the ravensburger waltz must be skated to a 3/4 beat at a tempo of 198 bpm. P/C's music switches between 6/8 and 12/8. That is not what was specified in the technical requirements for the season.

What should happen in this case is that each key point receives N from the judges if the edges are incorrect, and T instead of Y if the edges are correctly executed. It cannot receive Y as it is not skated to the required rhythm. See the protocols for Agafonova/Ucar from the World Championships in 2013 - Pattern 1 recieved TTT, Pattern 2 NNT, and a 1 point music tempo deduction overall. As a consequence, they did not qualify for the free dance.

However, P/C and Marie France admitted in an interview after Euros that they were told by the judges that there was not the required tempo in their music for the SD, so for Worlds, they forced it with an added drum beat, so they were technically within the rules in Boston. But why were they not judged properly for the music violation at Euros? There were defined requirements and they didn't meet it, and they should have been judges the same as a single skater would have been if they don't meet the requirement of a triple jump in combination in the SP.

It's the same for the FD - skaters are supposed to use music with an audible rhythmic beat, skate primarily to the beat, and not have the beat drop out for more than 15 seconds at a time within the program. P/C are far from the only offenders here, but their last two FDs have not met these requirements. And yes, it's not P/C's fault that the judges don't pull them up on this, but why are is the Gadbois team even deciding in the first place that they don't have to bother to meet these requirements? It is entirely possible to be expressive and tell a story and still push boundaries within these fairly simple parameters - see many of the programs of the Kerrs, the work Petr Tchernyshev did with W/P & the Shibs last season particularly on the construction of their step sequences, Delobel & Schoenfelder's Great Gig, V/M's Latin FD, G/P's Hitchcock, H/D's Picasso... And the fact that P/C continue to come out with open programs with no rhythmic driver or variety is starting to make me think they just aren't capable of it.

To respond to your last line, I tend to think that they just are ready to take some risks to showcase what they are passionate about. They are definitively much better technically than you give them credit for. Thank you anyway for taking the time to explain some of the background. P/C do bring variety to their performances. It is clear to me that there is a real work done on looking and finding a new concept. If you consider their work before the euro and world wins, they were surfing a very different wave. That said, I think there are 2 philosophies colliding here and I understand the frustration of following the rules scrupulously and it not being acknowledged by good results. This is why Ice Dance is a tricky discipline. I still believe that it is chocking on a humongous amount of rules. Don't get rid of them all but I do believe the discipline would gain by dropping or reviewing some of them.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
My opinion is that there are too much factors to be considered in evaluation and comparison of both teams. And to be honest - for me, they are both very individual, different and unique and that's the best thing about them I think. To have this diversity, along ofc other teams, from different countries, under different coaches/choreographers, representing different styles of movement/rhythm/expression, because I think this is far more important than complaining constantly about many teams doing programs from so-called same/similar streamline, which case could be this season FDs from both Virtue/Moir and Papadakis/Cizeron.

(big apologies for the length of my post!)

We can look at both teams in term of style/way of movement - whereas I consider Tessa and Scott movement as very punctuated, sharp and precise, with lots of coverage, 'exuberance', but still with the flow and continuity, Gabriella and Guillaume's way of moving on ice is all about soft, languid, 'liquid' value for me - there is this incredible sense of 'air', dreamy flow in their skating, I think there could be more coverage and punctuation/rhythm added, but their programs are very suited and matched to their style of movement, to showcase this unique and exceptional ‘feathery-like’ ability among all dance teams nowadays. For me, in terms of this style of movement, both teams draw my interest in different way: Tessa and Scott with that punctuated rhythmic they present, regardless of program/style, lots of coverage, speed, attack, achieving continuous flow at the same time, Gabriella and Guillaume - with this soft floating, 'brushing' on ice moving, creating amazing, liquid impression with quite good and respectable coverage and sharpness applied, just on point regarding their programs.

Then, we could take on programs done/experience/what they presented us so far - for me, it's kinda obvious that Tessa and Scott are in a different moment of their competitive career, after 2-year break, on senior scene sine 2006/07 season with so many years on the very top, while Gabriella and Guillaume had a different path to place they are now – they are younger, are not as long on senior scene, had some big makeover/change of environment after 2014 Olympics and they were almost ‘catapulted’ on the very top, then stayed there for 2 consecutive years. For me, both teams actually have presented a range and a capability to do various themes, but in different ways: Tessa and Scott have done really wide range of FD programs - warhorses, Latin program, movie soundtracks, classical music and showed also a lot of individuality and personal take on CD/OD/SD segments which I love; as for Gabriella and Guillaume – the range itself regarding themes/tempo or music chosen is not that wide as Canadians’, but looking at them pre-a and post-2014 coaching change I do see that they are capable to perform and interpret interestingly both classic and modern themes, more upbeat ones and abstract/quirky-alike. Bearing this said in mind, I do wish we would see Gabriella and Guillaume doing a program totally different from their latest ones, not because I’m bored/disgusted about this season’s one nor because I’m accusing them of being repetitive (because for me all their past 3 Fds programs can be derived from the same streamline, but are vastly different in vibe, expression and presentation) – I just want to see all of their qualities, capabilities to shine and to draw other people to their exceptional and unique understanding of ice dance. Both teams can do soft and drama, joy and sensuality, looking at their performances – it is just their expression ways/tools presented, the way they performing, their partnership on ice, their personalities transferred there make the difference I think (which will be more explained below).

Another thing could be so-called ‘competition factor’, because this is the first season we’re witnessing both teams go head-to-head as a top ones. I do think that last two direct showdowns won by Virtue/Moir are playing definitely in their favour as they are a returning team, but I’d put an emphasis of both these competition (NHK and GPF) as won by Tessa and Scott and not as lost by Gabriella and Guillaume. For me, last two years was a real discovery of French team, witnessing in competition a blossom of their best qualities, being amazed by this fresh take/expression presented, their unique presence and way they move. No one can take from them 2 World titles, 2 European titles, GP competitions won, but more importantly for me – nobody can steal or copy successfully their individual signature stamped all over their skating and personal approach put into it. There is no doubt Gabriella and Guillaume are strong and determined competitors, with a visible FD segment stronger I’d say, looking through the years. Speaking of that, I do feel like for the last of 2 years they were put in a position of ‘untouchables’ on the top, not only looking at results, titles, but also on how impactful and strong their skating is, creating so much impression. Then we have Tessa and Scott returning season – so much success, peaking at 2010 OG, then Tessa’s operation, some tech struggles, then Sochi OG season with not very successful, nor impactful as we would wish, FD, then taking a break from competition. Looking at them now, I feel like their skating looks much more relaxed/free it terms of performance/reception – they really have nothing to prove right now and they came back for skating, not necessary for competition, for pushing themselves artistically/performance-wise, for expanding their horizons and I do sense that watching them. What I did not expect is this technical expertise, sharpness, timing, creativity in their skating – it looks like they took best of their experience so far and build on it, adding more personal input. The challenging factor for both teams is that now they are both under one coaching team – there was no such situation previously and I understand that this could be confusing for Gabriella and Guillaume in some way and there has to be some adjustment period for all involved. The whole season I feel, considering V/M return, coaching situation is kind of a ‘test’ season for all: teams, other competitors, judges, coaches and us spectators. I think that for now ice dance is doing a bit of ‘adjustment’ to this situation and French team losing to Tessa and Scott is nothing spectacular for me right now, considering especially that Gabriella and Guillaume performances were not fully clean these times. Yes – it is surprising from competition point of view, seeing this results, but I do think there should be a broader perspective taken in making statements about being better/worse. And the season is not over. I think that next (Olympic!) season will tell more profoundly about this ‘competition’ situation: Tessa and Scott presence will be much more settled, there goes programs to be chosen, eventual coaching alterations, fact that both teams will probably not met head-to-head earlier than at GPF…

Next thing - for me one of the most important to take into consideration - is expression on ice/way of performing. I think that both teams make a huge impact/impression by their performances and expression presented, but they are accomplishing that in a bit different way. Whereas Tessa and Scott are quite bold, ‘loud-expressive’, emotionally-open performers and their expression is very prominent to read and related to their programs, Gabriella and Guillaume are more ‘quiet-expressive’, emotionally subdued and abstract performers, not very direct in their expression. Saying that, for me both teams are equally sophisticated and ‘elevated’ artistically in terms of performance. From personal side, I consider Tessa and Scott’s most spectacular/memorable performances and most successful/effective programs with raw, unlimited emotion, that chemistry, sensuality presented, an exchange of energy – ‘Carmen’ FD, this year’s FD, Mahler FD, ‘Umbrellas from Cherbourg’ FD, ‘Assassins’ Tango’ OD, Latin medley FD to name only a few. As for Gabriella and Guillaume, the most emotional and memorable performances were these where they enclosed themselves in their space and just flowed with the music, no exuberance, loudness needed. Just pure focus on their intricate chemistry.

We could also see both teams in term of partnership/ their strengths and weaknesses, but this is quite a subjective a tricky factor to assess I think, because a feature seen as a strength for someone can be not seen as such by others, same for weakness – for other people it can be considered even as a strong point. My personal impression on that topic is that both teams are consisted of great skaters, fantastic performers and for them being a dancers – I do feel like they all have that quality in them, just with different level of refinement, depending on their skills, way of movement and expression.

To sum up a bit – I fully understand that choosing between both teams is subjective and each person has individual preferences towards style/programs/chemistry/expression etc. presented. For me, it’s more like what I like/love/appreciate the most in each team, because in my eyes they are too different to choose one above another, only competition will tell the story. Lately, I’m just more focused on the fact that there is so much to admire and discover in so many teams, even if some programs are not working for me.

Love Tessa and Scott’s renewed poise and electrifying energy, this chemistry on ice, her phenomenal skating, dancer and interpretation/presentation abilities, her and Scott’s capability to interpret so many various themes, appreciate his strength, being a frame for each dance, his vivid expression, leading and presenting her in so amazing way; amazed by their ability to share with audience even the most intimate/personal looking moments, to create this tension, excitement about performance. They are so complimentary to each other, so perfectly matched, equally skilled skaters, equally fantastic performers. Always able to captivate with their performance, even with not very strong programs. Athletic, with lots of strength, but so very artistic, bold and expressive.

Love delicacy, intricacy and ‘feather’ quality of Gabriella and Guillaume’s skating, their more abstract approach to the skating and performing which I sometimes don’t understand, but admire and try to relate to. Inspired by their quiet/intimate and personal take on ice dance, always curious about story they want to tell. Always very impactful and charismatic, maybe just in more of subdued way. Expressiveness of Gabriella so matched with Guillaume’s strength and skill. Admire effortless value of their transitions, liquid flow of their programs. Love the fact that for me they are selling an air, dreamy fairy-tale, translated into moves, not losing this transcendent quality even with all these limitations the discipline and ice give.

Last edited:

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
I'm don't know the ice dance technique really well so I will judge just from my point of view as a spectator. I like P/C more I love their elegance and I think they have beautiful clean lines but of course I have to admit that Virtue and Moir are really strong too. I quite like the SD of V/M but I really like SD of P/C and I like their FD more than V/M's FD. It is just beautiful, however it has not reach its potential yet and I hope P/C will skate it better at the Europeans and most importantly at Worlds. When I look at scores I think V/M has been favorites for judges so far but as I'm saying I think that P/C didn't show us their best performance yet so it is hard to say who could be the winner at Worlds. I hope P/C because I've been cheering for them since they were juniors but what is imporant is that the team who will win in the end will win with two clean programs.

NOTE: As much as I love P/C I would prefer them to do something different for their FD. They always have some classical or slow music, which is not boring but I would just prefer them to do something else. But of course the question is whether it would be a good idea to try a new style in the Olympic year. There is no guarantee that judges would like it.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, please!!:clapper:

It's tough at the top but unfortunately C/L are not going to get an olympic medal.Even a world medal is going to be a struggle IMO.A European medal is the most likely probably Silver or bronze battling with the Russians B/S.

alain06fr

On the Ice
At first, when I read your post, I was very surprised...
To sum up, you're saying P/C danced during the SD in Bratislava on a music whose rhythm was not compliant with the ISU Ravensburger Waltz requirements.

What were the ISU requirements for the Waltz?
10. RAVENSBURGER WALTZ

Music - Waltz 3/4
Tempo - 66 measures of 3 beats per minute or 198 beats per minute
Pattern : Duration Optional

Therefore I decided to replay P/C SD at the 2016 Europeans and listen closely to the music.
At the very first listen, things are completely obvious to me.

The SD based on the music of Charms from Abel Korzeniowski (from W.E. soundtrack) is definitely a Waltz 3/4. I insist on 3/4. It can't be 6/8 as you claim. The music is actually quite simple to follow and cadenced on the 1st note which is two beats and the second note which is 1 beat as follows:
La (2 beats) fa (1 beat) sol (2 beats) mi (1 beat) fa (2 beats) ré (1 beat) mi (2 beats) do (1 beat) la...

No way this music could be a 6/8... Given the music, I don't even understand how you could reach this conclusion.

At the second listen, I switched on my metronome to check the pulse and this is the 2nd conclusion I reached:

The SD based on the music of Charms from Abel Korzeniowski follows a tempo of 65 or 66 pulses by minute (65 or 66 measures by minute).

However, P/C and Marie France admitted in an interview after Euros that they were told by the judges that there was not the required tempo in their music for the SD, so for Worlds, they forced it with an added drum beat, so they were technically within the rules in Boston.

Could you post the link to this interview? I would be more than curious to read Marie France saying something like that.
I noticed the added drum beat when I was in Boston and it was just obvious this additional beat was targeted to help Gabriella and Guillaume to better sync up with the waltz rhythm.

Could you explain how a 6/8 music could become a 3/4 by adding a drum beat ???

Furthemore, you can check the waltz cadence moves of P/C are exactly the same if you compare Bratislava and Boston. It can't be otherwise!

Last edited:

beki

Medalist
I just don't know. I like these teams equally. When D/W were competing, I loved them most of all. But Tessa and Scott are still maturing artistically. If they keep it up, they really may become the greatest of all time. I will be in Helsinki and I can't wait to compare in person. P/C seem so fresh and modern, and I feel that helps bring in new audiences.