Who has byes to U.S. Nationals? | Golden Skate

Who has byes to U.S. Nationals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
UPDATE: There is now a complete list of qualifiers/byes in the U.S. Nationals area. Please go there for info.

I’ve been looking through the entries for Sectionals & see some skaters who I thought would have a bye, including Lindsay Thorngren (5th at Nationals last year).

Could someone post a list of who has byes; especially the senior women?

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Country
Norway
Lindsay Thorngren, Gracie Gold, Isabeau Levito, Starr Andrews all have 3 international assignments and should get a bye.

I´m not sure if JGP assignments count in those 3, but in that case Clare Seo should have a bye as well.

Bradie did originally have 3, but WD from one, so i´m not sure what that means in regards of her, but maybe WD because of injury does give you a buy as long as you had 3?

Weathergal

Medalist
I’ve been looking through the entries for Sectionals & see some skaters who I thought would have a bye, including Lindsay Thorngren (5th at Nationals last year).

Could someone post a list of who has byes; especially the senior women?

I found this document https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/SanJose_PreAnnouncement.pdf Starting on Page 3 are all of the byes for Nationals.

It explains that Lindsay is competing but will advance no matter where she places and she will not displace any other qualifier.

Also in this publication is some info on the schedule for 2023 U. S. Nationals.
I wondered if perhaps Lindsay was just competing for the experience but didn't need to compete to qualify. It sounds like that's the case.

I also noticed that in the Pairs section on page 4, they have similar wording for Sonia Baram / Daniel Tioumentsev so it sounds like they might also be competing in sectionals for the experience as well. It also solves the mystery of whether Ellie Kam / Danny O'Shea will be at Nationals. They are listed as having a bye.

Country
Norway
I found this document https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/SanJose_PreAnnouncement.pdf Starting on Page 3 are all of the byes for Nationals.

It explains that Lindsay is competing but will advance no matter where she places and she will not displace any other qualifier.

Also in this publication is some info on the schedule for 2023 U. S. Nationals.
Oh, I forgot about Amber, she has 3 as well yes!

Looking at this list, I wonder why Audrey Shin and Gabriella Izzo have byes, from what I can see, they have only 2 international assignments until now, but maybe it means they will get the last Challengers?

I guess Karen has a bye due to her placement at Nationals last year?

Weathergal

Medalist
Lindsay Thorngren, Gracie Gold, Isabeau Levito, Starr Andrews all have 3 international assignments and should get a bye.

I´m not sure if JGP assignments count in those 3, but in that case Clare Seo should have a bye as well.

Bradie did originally have 3, but WD from one, so i´m not sure what that means in regards of her, but maybe WD because of injury does give you a buy as long as you had 3?
Lindsay, Gracie, Isabeau, Starr, and Clare all have byes.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So, in preparation of this week. The following skaters are into Nationals:

1) Levito
2) Glenn
3) Andrews
4) Shin
5) Thorngren
6) Tennell - GP (UK)
7) Izzo - GP (UK)
8) Gold - Challenger (AUT)
9) Seo - Challenger (AUT), US Junior Champion

This means the top 2 of each sectional (excluding Thorngren), plus the next three highest scores, gets you a spot to Nationals. 9 byes to 9 spots.

Rooting for HAS at Sectionals… Hanna, Ava and Sonja. Each are competing at separate events. I’m excited for this Sectionals competition.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As a former champion, if Bradie is healthy, won't get an automatic Bye?

Country
Norway
As a former champion, if Bradie is healthy, won't get an automatic Bye?
That was in 2018, I don´t think it can give you a bye 4 years after. Gracie was the US Champion in 2016, she needed to do the qualifying rounds for the 2020 Nationals.

A difference though, Bradie did place 2nd in 2019 and 3rd in 2020.

But she is on the list, so I think she has a bye anyways. But i´m wondering if it´s due to the fact that she has 2 GP assignments. I´m not sure what will happen if she has to WD.

Country
Norway
Bradie is competing at a Senior Grand Prix on the same week as Sectionals. Anybody sent to a GP event on the same week as Sectionals is granted a bye. This applies to Tennell, Izzo, Gold and Seo.
Thanks! Do you know what happens if one of them would suddenly WD? Do they still get the byes simply because of the assignments?

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks! Do you know what happens if one of them would suddenly WD? Do they still get the byes simply because of the assignments?
That is a good question. Rika Kihira was in a similar position this year. She had Skate Canada on the same week as her Japanese sectionals. Many people were suggesting for her to withdraw until she had all her triples back, but, it was mentioned that if she withdrew, then she could forfeit her chances for Nationals. I have a feeling if they WD, then no Nationals, as it wouldn’t be fair for the athletes who do compete at Sectionals. If I was Bradie, and I know I can be fully ready in two months for Nationals, I would do what Rika did, and just compete for fun with a lighter technical layout.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
That was in 2018, I don´t think it can give you a bye 4 years after. Gracie was the US Champion in 2016, she needed to do the qualifying rounds for the 2020 Nationals.

But she is on the list, so I think she has a bye anyways. But i´m wondering if it´s due to the fact that she has 2 GP assignments. I´m not sure what will happen if she has to WD.
But remember Bradie was also US Champion in 2021, which was only the season before last.

Country
Norway
But remember Bradie was also US Champion in 2021, which was only the season before last.
You are right, I checked her competitions yesterday and I totally missed the result from US Nationals 21 :slink: How is that possible? I think I overlooked it because she has only done 2 competitions after that, so I didn´t bother to check her recent results because I didn´t think it would be so "recent".

But, it will be 2 years ago though, does that change everything? I know last year count, but do you get a bye more than one year?

mskater93

Record Breaker

It's the timing of her GP in the UK this week (same for Izzo)

mrrice

Record Breaker
If she has them, I am very interested to see Bradie's new programs. It seems like forever since we've seen her and I truly hope she gets back to Nationals.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There’s actually a thread in Nationals section of the forum that lists everyone with byes and who already Q’d into US Nationals.

Status
Not open for further replies.