2014 Cup of China Mens Short Program 11/07 | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2014 Cup of China Mens Short Program 11/07

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The correct thing to do is Don't Move the Injured Person. Let trained medical folk handle it.

But I think the referee should have cleared the skaters off the ice so that they would be out of the way of the EMT's.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
Apparently the older man is some sort of "physiotherapist", he is not the Japanese team doctor. It sounds like USA and Canada had at least one doctor. They evaluated Yuzuru. One stitched him up afterwards. It's not clear to me how adequately trained the "medical personnel" were who walked out to help Yuzuru. What a mess. Apart from rules, blame, etc. I hope JSF provides a Medical Doctor for future competitions.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm still baffled why did all the aldults in the rink let these kids went out and performed!!! :bang:
I can't get angry at these kids, given their condition and state of mind by that time. Adrenaline still high.
But there're so many adults around!!!

Okay, can we please straighten something out here?

It seems that the fans of these skaters are vacillating between whether they are "kids" or "adults", as the need and argument suits.

Let's clear this up: both are over the age of 18, therefore, in many countries (including China, I believe), they are considered adults. Not children.

HOWEVER, in this circumstance, they had all the consenting power of someone who has been drugged or is drunk. That is, none. IMO.

And I think physical restraint would have been appropriate if necessary.

I agree 100%. Also, I found it very strange that none of the other skaters offered a hand or showed any concern whatsoever for either of these boys. Instead they continued to skate around them. Bizarre. :eek:

It may well be that the prospect of serious head injury/all the blood spooked them, or someone may have yelled, "Don't touch them!"

When Artur Gachinski had a bad fall at SkAm practice last year, Max Aaron and Jason Brown helped him up. But Artur was likely already moving on the ice, just struggling to get up.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm still baffled why did all the aldults in the rink let these kids went out and performed!!! :bang:
I can't get angry at these kids, given their condition and state of mind by that time. Adrenaline still high.
But there're so many adults around!!!

Huh? Yuzu and Han are both adults so I'm don't know what you are talking about. If they were 12 or 13 and in the novice ranks your comment might make sense. I am assuming that Yuzuru, the JSF officials there and Orser consulted the American doctor who sewed up Yuzu's cuts before making the decision to skate. Ultimately the choice is Yuzu's and Han's since there was not an official physician for either team hired to make such calls.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Apparently Han just turned to do a (3) Alex take off. How unfortunate was the timing. Heart broken for both skaters. Guess that was why Han just did a single axel, and totally skipped a jump. the taking off might haunt him for a while. Hanyu should not have skated at all. the five falls would just have killed anybody.

Here is video from fan cam. That's just look even more horrible from this view. It was like meeting with the wall at high speed :cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_VbjqeaohM

And Hanyu's head hit on ice, oh dear :cry:

They really should have tie them in chains and not let skate

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dear God. I just saw the NBC video of the collision and then watched the fan cam version. Even knowing it had happened (lurking here on & off all day ;), I gasped/almost screamed when I saw it. If they felt OK, it's understandable that they wanted to compete but surprising that their coaches let them go ahead, especially Yuzu. Wishing them well!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yeesh, rewatching all of these SP's again, Misha Ge should have WON this competition in the end.

Kovtun had 0 linking footwork into his Quad Toe, which is required for the solo jump. Even if you want to say the jump itself was +2 GOE quality, he should get -3 GOE factored in for lack of required linking movement and -1 GOE overall for the element. The GOE received for his footwork sequence was ridiculous and the scores he received for his spins and PCS were overly generous as well. He should have barely broken 80 points in the SP with this performance, if even that.

kimganos

On the Ice
This is a funny joke. Watching Han Yan live, I didn't see how Yan's skating skills could be better than Hanyu's. Hanyu had more speed, more control of the edges, while Yan was bumpy on the ice. Besides Hanyu's program and especially footwork was a thing of intricacy and beauty, while Yan wasn't there yet.

Actually Yan's basic skating skills were not that much better than even Dornbush and Kovtun. Kovtun had better posture and more character than Yan and thus the higher PCS? Cos Yan has some of the worst postures and stiff arms in the field. But Dornbush was underscored. He should score above Yan. Hanyu was on another level in skating skills and presentation from the rest of the field. His SP is already beautiful despite the jump errors. I think he has gone from an athletic jumper to something like an artistic skater like Takahashi. I hope he'll keep his athleticism with the newly gained presentation.
:agree:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Here is video from fan cam. That's just look even more horrible from this view. It was like meeting with the wall at high speed :cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_VbjqeaohM

And Hanyu's head hit on ice, oh dear :cry:

They really should have tie them in chains and not let skate

It was such an unfortunate accident. From this angle you can really see that there was quite a lot of free ice around them- it's unfortunate they both had their backs turned to each other and just so happened to collide. If one had just been a foot of to the side... :scowl:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Here is a commentary-free video of Yuzuru's performance, as well as of him & Brian in the K&C. I've transcribed it as best as I can hear, please correct any mistakes, or fill in any blanks if possible. :)

8:10-
B: No media, go right to the ER.
Y: Okay.
B: Medical room ok? And we'll probably get you to see a doctor, yeah? We gotta make sure you're okay.
Yuzu plays with his pooh tissue box, a fangirl screams like CRAZY and Brian says "wow."

9:00-
Y: Ok. I'm done. With this. I don't go to final/I don't make it to final/I don't even want to know.
Yuzu laughs, Brian sort of hangs his head.
B: Well you never know actually. You never know. We have to make- we have to get you healthy first, ok? You're gonna feel it tomorrow. No exhibition.

9:35-
The scores are about to show.
B: This doesn't matter, ok? The main thing is that you went out and skated. Alright? That's amazing. That's what you need to be most proud of.
The scores show.
B: Wow.
Y: What happened?
B: I don't know.

eta: Thanks to Vanshilar & Sherkane for filling in the blanks :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Dear God. I just saw the NBC video of the collision and then watched the fan cam version. Even knowing it had happened (lurking here on & off all day ;), I gasped/almost screamed when I saw it. If they felt OK, it's understandable that they wanted to compete but surprising that their coaches let them go ahead, especially Yuzu. Wishing them well!

is there a link to the NBC broadcast anywhere?

Vanshilar

On the Ice
Here is a commentary-free video of Yuzuru's performance, as well as of him & Brian in the K&C. I've transcribed it as best as I can hear, please correct any mistakes, or fill in any blanks if possible. :)

B: No media, go right to ER ok?
B: Medical ok? And we'll probably get you to see a doctor, yeah? We gotta make sure you're okay.
Yuzu plays with his pooh tissue box, a fangirl screams like CRAZY and Brian says "wow."

9:00-
Y: Ok. I'm done.
Y: With this.
Y: I don't go to final.
Yuzu laughs, Brian sort of hangs his head.
B: Well you never know actually. You never know. We have to make- we have to get you healthy first, ok? You're gonna feel it tomorrow. No axels.

B: This doesn't matter, ok? The main thing is that you went out and skated. Alright? That's amazing. That's what you need to be most proud of.
The scores show.
B: Don't know.

This is what they said as far as I can make out.

Sherkane

Rinkside
B: This doesn't matter, ok? The main thing is that you went out and skated. Ok? That's amazing. That's what you need to be most proud of.
The scores show.
B: I don't know

Sherkane

Rinkside
I believe Hanyu says "I don't even want to know" instead of "I don't go to finals", and Brian answers "No exhibition" and not "no axels".

Vanshilar

On the Ice
I believe Hanyu says "I don't even want to know" instead of "I don't go to finals", and Brian answers "No exhibition" and not "no axels".

Yeah it does seem like Brian said "no exhibition" instead. I'm not sure what Hanyu was mumbling there, might have been something like "I don't even want to find out" or something. It's hard to tell because of the background noise and I'm not used to his speech.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
B: No media, go right to the ER.
B: Medical room ok? And we'll probably get you to see a doctor, yeah? We gotta make sure you're okay.

also while playing with pooh he says "gomenne" to pooh.
i thought its important detail :biggrin: :love:

ioanna

Record Breaker
This is a funny joke. Watching Han Yan live, I didn't see how Yan's skating skills could be better than Hanyu's. Hanyu had more speed, more control of the edges, while Yan was bumpy on the ice. Besides Hanyu's program and especially footwork was a thing of intricacy and beauty, while Yan wasn't there yet.

Actually Yan's basic skating skills were not that much better than even Dornbush and Kovtun. Kovtun had better posture and more character than Yan and thus the higher PCS? Cos Yan has some of the worst postures and stiff arms in the field. But Dornbush was underscored. He should score above Yan. Hanyu was on another level in skating skills and presentation from the rest of the field. His SP is already beautiful despite the jump errors. I think he has gone from an athletic jumper to something like an artistic skater like Takahashi. I hope he'll keep his athleticism with the newly gained presentation.

It may seem like a funny joke to you but I wasn't joking. My appreciation of Han Yan's skills is not based on a single competition (CoC in this case), but on my observation in time. I respectfully disagree about Kovtun having better character than Yan, and respectfully disagree about Hanyu being an artistic skater like Takahashi. While his presentation is much improved, I wouldn't compare him to Takahashi just yet.