2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22 | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie had a stumble and a few minor bobbles in the SP. Not sure about better skating skills either. She's connected to the music and the audience more than Gracie, though. Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because they could give Gracie 72 and no one can do a thing. It wasn't unheard of to get 70+ for 3x2 combo in the SP.

I think Michelle could have gotten a 72 (or higher) with just a 3Lz-2T and a 3-F. :)

samson

Medalist
^I wonder how her short programs would be different without a spiral sequence? Or maybe she would have still find a way to maintain at least the inside/outside edge spiral because it was such trademark? I've always been curious how what level her Nationals Spartacus footwork would get today. If some educated and enterprising person wanted to take a look at it I would be forever grateful. It certainly had +++GOE for me.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently "they" really want Wagner as champ again.

On top of that, Wagner is skating just before Gold in the FS - meaning that Gold could face even more pressure if Wagner throws it down. Almost hate to say it, but it's gonna be a tough one here for Gold - not looking good for her to defend. If course, if Wagner messes up, that will open the door somewhat, but Gold will still have to walk through it.

I don't recall anyone winning more than 2 US championships since MK? This would be a landmark victory for Wagner if she pulls this off (and the judges are helping her every way they can). Only thing missing is a world medal...which pretty much every other top US lady had...

Gold just needs to skate well and keep her spot otherwise if she skates one of her nervous ones that she's known for she could drop and the USFSA does't want another US champion finishing in 4th again. That would be a nightmare for everyone concerned.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
same here. I remember when Liza was just 14 and her senior debut.
She's doing well now. But to be fair I still think she hasn't regained her star power and quality of that time yet.

I was a fan of hers since 14 anyway and was impressed how Russia pretty much thrown her at the deep end to swim with the sharks (okay...just Frank Carroll) without much of a safety net. I think it is fine to get emotionally invested in a skater as long as your expectations are reasonable. They are not your BBFs. boyfriends, pet dogs, expensive designer's hand bags etc etc... As long as you are aware every skaters have their ups and downs to do with life's limitations on time and resource, growth spurts, injuries, federation politics, life's odd hiccups, accidents, you'd be fine. It is very human.. but then my fav is Yuna Kim so I consider myself ridiculously lucky!

With Karen, I think she has good innate artistic temperament to begin with which is rare (check out some of her art work on her blog, she started this when she was 12/13 https://gokarenchen.wordpress.com/artwork/), so I am really intrigued to see how that may help her in her skating. Usually youngsters do it the other way round, tech/sport first then art. While I am not exactly wowed by her musical choices this year but then she has shown she is capable of rise above them.

Florentina

On the Ice
With Karen, I think she has good innate artistic temperament to begin with which is rare (check out some of her art work on her blog, she started this when she was 12/13 https://gokarenchen.wordpress.com/artwork/), so I am really intrigued to see how that may help her in her skating. Usually youngsters do it the other way round, tech/sport first then art. While I am not exactly wowed by her musical choices this year but then she has shown she is capable of rise above them.

Wow her art work is pretty! Thanks for pointing it out. That was really nice to see.

Alchamei

Record Breaker

Holy s... That artwork is amazing. I wish I could paint and create works like that. :laugh:

About her skating, it still seems a bit juniorish to me and she still have a room for improvement in PCS some categories but she is given a nice choregraphy and she enjoys every moment. I'm still not a fan, but we'll see what she executes when she grows. ;)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Karen grows a few inches in the next year or two just to look less like a Junior skater. You can see how Miyahara gets held down a bit being so tiny. karen is almost 16 and still only 4'10.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^I was positively surprised by Karen's SP performance this time, and I have been following her since 2 seasons ago. I think perhaps Karen's juniorish is due to her baby body-type. Karen's speed is really impressive, which can make her jumps very explosive visually, and of course, her innate musicality and sense of art is always there.

Karen's limbs are relatively too long for her torso...

Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
I hope the standing for the top 4 stay the same in the FS, with Polina hopefully switching standing with Gold. I can't believe how some people were writing Polina off so quickly. If she skates anywhere near a FS as she has done in GPs, I think it's going to be a cracking showing. Really hoping it's Wagner, Edmunds, Gold and Nagasu in a chronological order.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope Karen grows a few inches in the next year or two just to look less like a Junior skater. You can see how Miyahara gets held down a bit being so tiny. karen is almost 16 and still only 4'10.

I think the difference is that Karen actually scores quite well despite her short statue. This is someone who scored 62+ without a 3-3 in the JGP. Miyahara has never scored that high even with a 3-3 when she was a junior skater.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

I do understand the comparison, but although Karen is physically small for now, she doesn't skate small or jump small. I like Miyahara's 'skating' but it is the jumps that has let her down unfortunately and her limited emotional range which I expect will develop and improve with time. Midori is 4ft9, so... there's not alot you can do about that.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Watched the presser just now. Ashley s a feisty one. I think Polina is very well spoken for a young woman.
It can go anywhere on Saturday, Ashley seems very determined though. As if she figured something out. Gracie seems somewhat deflated.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Miyarahara, although refined for her age, skates small and has tiny jumps whereas Karen Chen skates big and jumps big.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Joannie had a stumble and a few minor bobbles in the SP. Not sure about better skating skills either. She's connected to the music and the audience more than Gracie, though. Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because they could give Gracie 72 and no one can do a thing. It wasn't unheard of to get 70+ for 3x2 combo in the SP.

Not sure where the stumble was but Joannie skated bigger and had greater amplitude on her jumps (no two foot like Gracie) as well she had an extra element so really proportionaltely speaking Gracie scored about the same but really I am not sure how this got into a comparison with Joannie - different time, different compettion, different rules.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Why doesn't Gracie have a lutz or a flip as her solo jump? If that is what it takes to be competitive on the world stage why wouldn't she do a more difficult jump?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Why doesn't Gracie have a lutz or a flip as her solo jump? If that is what it takes to be competitive on the world stage why wouldn't she do a more difficult jump?

She has a slight lip. She would get more points doing a 3Lo with +GOE.

burntBREAD

Medalist

Also, a loop is only worth 0.1 less than a flip, so it's not really worth the risk considering she (like Mrs. P said) gets more GOE on the loop.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, a loop is only worth 0.1 less than a flip, so it's not really worth the risk considering she (like Mrs. P said) gets more GOE on the loop.

I think it's worth .2 less. And Ashley did her flip late in the program and got the bonus. I noticed that Gracie didn't do her loop in the second half of her program but Mirai did and got 6.21 to Gracie's 5.6. That seems like something Gracie should fix if (when) she goes to Worlds.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just watched Polina's program. She seemed a lot more unsure on her 3-3 than she did last year. I thought the 3T looked UR, but she wasn't called on it. Did anyone else notice Rudy Galindo (her choreographer) in the K&C? Gotta love her for working with Rudy!