2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22 | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22

Layfan

Record Breaker
I just watched Polina's program. She seemed a lot more unsure on her 3-3 than she did last year. I thought the 3T looked UR, but she wasn't called on it. Did anyone else notice Rudy Galindo (her choreographer) in the K&C? Gotta love her for working with Rudy!

Oh, I can't wait to watch that. Is it only on icenetwork or somewhere else? I didn't get an IN subscription this year and now it's not really worth it. but I'll watch the LPs on on TV Saturday.
Polina says she is adjusting to body changes... If that's it I sure hope she does adjust.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Joannie had a stumble and a few minor bobbles in the SP. Not sure about better skating skills either. She's connected to the music and the audience more than Gracie, though. Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because they could give Gracie 72 and no one can do a thing. It wasn't unheard of to get 70+ for 3x2 combo in the SP.
Are we talking about her 2010 Olympic SP? :confused: Joannie was foot-perfect and on fire there.

Thank goodness they didn't give Gracie a 72.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
In which I finally get around to watching everyone!

Group 1:

Zhang: Pretty but kind of meh. I miss the pearl.... and the 3lo on the end looked URed...

Shin: She's adorable and her jumps are huge. She could do a 3f+3t, IMHO...

Glenn: I really liked her program, but her steps were kind of slow. The rest was good.

Wang: If you ignored the lutz, it was actually really good? She's my favorite as of right now....

Vinci: GET A NEW COSTUME. Apart from that, she looks a bit rough around the edges....

Enjoy-o-Meter: Wang/Glenn/Shin/Zhang/Vinci (I did not finish her program because I was bored.)

Group 2:

Cleveland: I have no idea who she is, but I really liked her and her program.

McBeath: I also have no idea who she is. She's okay (a bit meh), and she does look like Cohen. (and kind of like Osmond?)

Keiser: :love: That was beautifully awesome.

Hicks: I think Vinci had a worse costume, but hers is still bad. As for the skate.... okay, it was good. I was still bored and I'll have to admit that she's not my cup of tea. (I do agree with the person who said that they wanted Gold to skate to this.)

Chiera: I don't know who she is as well. I hate her music, but the rest of the program's good...

Enjoy-o-meter: Keiser/Cleveland/Chiera/Hicks/McBeath. (I did not finish the programs of the latter three because I was either bored or annoyed.)

Group 3:

Edmunds: She finally had a clean SP and I really enjoyed it!

Pierce: I think she can join the weird/bad costume club. Apart from that, I really enjoyed her program and her 3lz is huge. Maybe a 3lz+3t in the future?

Wagner: :love: I really appreciate her technical progress, although maybe she should do a 3f+3t instead? Apart from that, it was really good.

Yang: I have no clue who she is, but I love her music and her program. Shame about the 3s+3lo and random fall.... and did she feel really fast to anyone else?

Cain: If you ignored her jumps, that was really good....

Cesario: :popcorn: I don't know if she comes off better on TV, but that was awesome and I do think she was a bit underscored.... the 3lo+3lo did look kind of messy.

Enjoy-o-meter: Um.... Cesario/Wagner/Edmunds/Pierce/Cain/Yang, but I liked everyone in this group.

Group 4:

Miller: I actually would prefer to see Gold skate this program, but she was good too.

Gao: ....um, she was really good if you ignored all of her jumps?

Gold: I respect her artistic improvements, but I think she should've gone down the bombastic route for programs, IMHO.... it was still pretty.

Bell: And the worst costume award goes to.... apart from that, she was awesome. :love:

Chen: GO KAREN! THAT WAS AWESOME! My favorite program of them all! :rock:

Nagasu: Her dress does look like Yang's.... and she was pretty, but kind of meh, IMHO.... I miss 2010 Nagasu. (It also didn't help that she went after Chen.)

Enjoy-o-meter: Chen/Bell/Gold/Gao/Miller/Nagasu.

Well, that's what I think.... any thoughts?

(Actually, one more. The commentator needs to shut up. They're really annoying.)

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL at your comments InvisibleSpiral. Agreed with most of what you wrote, especially the first two groups.

Re: the costumes. I actually like Mariah Bell's costume - it's a bit bright but it suits her. At least it didn't look like Mirai and that other girl who came in last who did look like they were wearing the same dress. I did like Mirai's SP - she'll never be the 2010 version of herself but she at least wasn't stone faced and I think she and Rachmaninoff are a good fit.

Leah Keiser looked so polished and mature for 17. Sometimes it's really hard to tell how old these skaters are and I have to remind myself that most of them are in high school. Karen Chen was wonderful but she is so small for a 15 year old - she looks 12 to me.

Overall, I was pleased to see that most attempted a 3-3 combo (ironically Gracie didn't). I think that's the influence of the Russians and the Japanese girls/ladies.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Wagner: :love: I really appreciate her technical progress, although maybe she should do a 3f+3t instead? Apart from that, it was really good.

At first I thought I would agree with you, but thinking about it the lutz combo is probably smart. Neither the lutz nor the 3T combo are particularly strong for Ashley, so if she puts those elements together it allows her to get great GOE on the flip, which won't lost GOE for being a part of a < combo. Aside from that, it gives her the impression that she is matching the top ladies technically jump for jump, which certainly helps improve her reputation.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Diva Wagner doing the Yuna Camel, along with Yuna's old layout. :love: She seemed a bit focused on her elements here--maybe not the best she's ever performed. But she did have nice flow in her skating and good quality elements outside of the two-foot. That 3F was heavenly! On the scores: Even with an international panel, she would easily be in the lead right now (and she wasn't the only one to receive generous calls).

My favourite in terms of performance was Samantha Cesario. Love the program, love the outfit, love how everything just came together. I know she lacks speed, but that's no reason to drop her so far down the standings... (the call on her 3-3 was very harsh--probably because they were loops, and those get scrutinized to pieces).

Good job from Polina, to finally banish her SP demons. This is a program I can get behind. I just wish she'd performed just a bit more--seemed a bit subdued.

After learning about the "phoenix" concept in Courtney's skate, I took a second look... The program actually isn't bad. I'm still not on the hype train--it is reminiscent of Polina's at the start of the season. I do not think her jumps are that good (they're big, but the landings aren't very controlled), or that she's better than all the other US ladies/competitive with the Russians/anything like that. But I did enjoy the skate.

Mirai seemed to turn the "performance" aspect on and off. One moment she is fully focused on the jumps, the next she suddenly remembers to give an (awkward) smile. But credit to her for delivering--in a less well-skated competition, she could've been even higher.

Gracie was, well... She does have good speed, flow, and spins. But some intangible quality is still missing, and the messy 3-2 didn't help things.

Overall, a very well-skated event. The American ladies are still strong. :)

badknees

Medalist
Hmm, to me in the press conference, Gracie seemed a little more relaxed/natural than she often is, actually. Ashley said this Nationals was as tough as any (in response to a question to all 3 about this year's competition compared to last year's, which was an Olympic year) but Gracie felt the vibe of the competition was different with it not being in essence an Olympic trial.

The press conference is over, I only caught the end of it, somebody asked about Ashley's advanced age and someone else asked for some general thoughts, Ashley was more candid while Gracie was stonefaced and Polina just seemed timid

Well, at the press conference Gracie was not Ashley's best friend. Polina looked so uncomfortable. It was really a battle of the red lipsticks. Gracie did say her mistake in the jump had nothing to do with her ankle injury.

Gracie seemed a bit snippy. She was definitely not happy with her performance, despite the placement.

I thought Gracie seemed a bit bitter and defensive to be honest. I think Ashley is clearly the most at ease in interviews.

Oh my gosh, just watched the press conf. It was either awful or just plain hilarious! They looked like they really dislike each other. No one looked or acted like they wanted to be there. they were all frowning!
Ashley was fine. Gracie looked really pissed. Polina? I dont know, seemed unsure? This is kinda too bad, since they have a lifelong bond of going to the olympics together. And didn't they practice and live together for the week or 2 in Germany during the Olympics?
I loved the way Ashley responded to the stupid question about advance age. Then when she took charge of getting the 3 together for the picture, wow! All were scowling and as soon as the picture was taken they all broke into fake smiles.
I thought any minute the 3 would end up on the floor in a cat fight! I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Press conferences are stupid and unnecessary anyway!

Oh, and by the way, all red lipstick should be banned from competition!!

Last edited:

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Diva Wagner doing the Yuna Camel, along with Yuna's old layout. :love: She seemed a bit focused on her elements here--maybe not the best she's ever performed. But she did have nice flow in her skating and good quality elements outside of the two-foot. That 3F was heavenly! On the scores: Even with an international panel, she would easily be in the lead right now (and she wasn't the only one to receive generous calls).

My favourite in terms of performance was Samantha Cesario. Love the program, love the outfit, love how everything just came together. I know she lacks speed, but that's no reason to drop her so far down the standings... (the call on her 3-3 was very harsh--probably because they were loops, and those get scrutinized to pieces).

Good job from Polina, to finally banish her SP demons. This is a program I can get behind. I just wish she'd performed just a bit more--seemed a bit subdued.

After learning about the "phoenix" concept in Courtney's skate, I took a second look... The program actually isn't bad. I'm still not on the hype train--it is reminiscent of Polina's at the start of the season. I do not think her jumps are that good (they're big, but the landings aren't very controlled), or that she's better than all the other US ladies/competitive with the Russians/anything like that. But I did enjoy the skate.

Mirai seemed to turn the "performance" aspect on and off. One moment she is fully focused on the jumps, the next she suddenly remembers to give an (awkward) smile. But credit to her for delivering--in a less well-skated competition, she could've been even higher.

Gracie was, well... She does have good speed, flow, and spins. But some intangible quality is still missing, and the messy 3-2 didn't help things.

Overall, a very well-skated event. The American ladies are still strong. :)

I think last night it was a bit of confidence.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
BADKNEES wrote:

Oh my gosh, just watched the press conf. It was either awful or just plain hilarious! They looked like they really dislike each other. No one looked or acted like they wanted to be there. they were all frowning!
Ashley was fine. Gracie looked really pissed. Polina? I dont know, seemed unsure? This is kinda too bad, since they have a lifelong bond of going to the olympics together. And didn't they practice and live together for the week or 2 in Germany during the Olympics?
I loved the way Ashley responded to the stupid question about advance age. Then when she took charge of getting the 3 together for the picture, wow! All were scowling and as soon as the picture was taken they all broke into fake smiles.
I thought any minute the 3 would end up on the floor in a cat fight! I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Press conferences are stupid and unnecessary anyway!

badknees, you are too funny. I dunno, I think they are feeling the competition more than truly disliking one another, really. Got to be in competitive mode rather than chummy mode. I think a lot of the Sochi camaraderie was before the comp was too close, when they were at their training site and the start of the real stress was still some days away.

Agree for the most part about the vivid lipstick, even if one IS trying to play to the rafters. And Ash and Gracie are so fair-skinned that the dark lipstick just makes their mouths look like slashes in their faces. It's not 1944, ladies. Maybe in the arena it really is a good effect???

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Gracie had a cute story about it actually in her social scene interview. She had a comp and was superposed to wear pink lipstick, but her mom did not have any, so the mom said "well you are wearing red today" and she did well, so it became her good luck thing. I am more forgiving now.

slider11

Medalist
Wow...talk about 2 ladies who really don't care for one another and third (Polina) who's just trying to dodge the hand grenades!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Ashley was SPOT ON. She looks so fit, so trained, so ready.
The double axel to the end of the program was perfect with the music. This felt like an Olympic program. So much better than her LP choice IMHO.

I would bet money that Frank advised Gracie to go with the 3/2 if she was feeling nervous or shaky as I'm sure she was. Even if he kept Ashley's score from her, I can only imagine coming in to defend would be tough. I can almost hear him saying "just stand up on everything" so she did and she's still in contention. If she fell on a 3/3 she could be out of the medals for good.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't recall anyone winning more than 2 US championships since MK? This would be a landmark victory for Wagner if she pulls this off (and the judges are helping her every way they can). Only thing missing is a world medal...which pretty much every other top US lady had...

Don't forget Alissa Czisny! 2009 and 2011 (?)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am really impressed by Tyler Pierce's SP. Her musicality is amazing, and her final spin is no less than Yulia's. Having the same coach as Jason Brown definitely helps. Hope to see more of her in the years to come.

sbaker

On the Ice
I don't know about all this... I recall Ashley saying in an interview, something along the lines of, Gracie being a sweet girl and that it was nice to get to know her in Stars On Ice because they had only ever met in a tense competition atmosphere. I don't think it's a genuine hatred or anything. Definitely fierce competitors, angled as rivals... Neither friends nor enemies...