2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22 | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2015 US Nationals Senior Ladies Short Program Jan 22

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Gracie's lutz was a monster. wow. I take back what I said before, she was totally going for the 3/3 but got too close to the boards.
Her attention the music was so much better than last year, smart move keeping this program. Class Frank Carroll, throwback to Michelle for a couple of moments in that program. Nicely done, loving the way she cherished the landing of that 2 axel, Gracie's learning how to sell a program.

ks777

Record Breaker
I just saw Ashley's SP. Her 3/3 was underrotated but she scored 72? she also two footed and I believe she flutzed. How generous of the US judges. It's almost as if they are trying so hard to put her far ahead in case she has another melt down in LP and someone else(not USFA favorite) beats her.
Also watched Mirai's SP. Her 3/3 was very obviously underrotated. Other than that she did pretty good but 65 is way too generous.

peg

Medalist
Not sure where the stumble was but Joannie skated bigger and had greater amplitude on her jumps (no two foot like Gracie) as well she had an extra element so really proportionaltely speaking Gracie scored about the same but really I am not sure how this got into a comparison with Joannie - different time, different compettion, different rules.

The stumble was in the FS, not the SP. Her SP was perfect.

samson

Medalist
Peg, yeah I kind of love that moment with the smiles. At this point Ashley and Gracie are mean media machines. They know what they're doing, they've got great sponsorships and they know what they want their pics to look like and probably what their team expects.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ashley's score is just hilarious. Can't believe they are letting her get away with such a bad program.

kalle

On the Ice
My thoughts after the SP:

Ashley really look in killer shape out there. However 72 was too generous even if she is the best performer out there (hands down). Her 3Lutz really looks like a 3F and the 3T landing was iffy.
Anyway, props to Ashley for attacking the highest technical content, she wants her title back and for the first time in all these years, she really gives the impression that she want that World medal and I think she want it badly.
The SP still has some rather empty movements, I hope there will still be some tweaking to it ahead of Worlds (yes, I am 100% she is going and I am 100% she will go into the competition as the reigning National champion)

I really start to warm up on Gracie, she is definitely getting there in terms of presentation and more precise in each movements. Her jumping technic is pristine and amazing how easy her jumps are looking when attacked and done. It still does not feel that she has the same confidence as Ashley but you never know with Gracie, when "on", she is the best (in my opinion).

Polina was nice too but not much more to say. Everything looks good but it feels a bit "flat", she is missing that little extra..I hope it will come with time. Her jumps looks a bit smallish (except the 3F) but she rotates quick as a helicopter out there! I am not surprised she gets dinged for edge call and UR on the 2A internationally. I think she will deliver as usual in the LP and off to another Worlds.

I was very pleased with Mirai's outing and actually think it was a bit of a confidence booster for her to receive such remarks.
The 3T was clearly UR but really happy to see that the 3F looked better. I am no fan of this SP but she tried to do the best out of it and presentation wise a good step up from the GP's.
I am expecting her to fight well in the LP but not sure she will be able to hold on to her 4th place, a top 5 would be a good achievement this year (maybe not for herself or for some fans but it feels like she is coming from behind and that it has been a real wake up call for her technically this year). I do believe there are progression to come under Tom's tutoring but I
hope it will not play on her speed (she looked slow here) and her spins. Hoping that she gets those 3F's and that 3Lutz around in her LP and even if most likely will Ur the 3T in her combos, could score potentially well here.But that is a big "if".

Hicks is Hicks, there is something very unique in her style..not sure if I like it but she is likeable and her speed and the pop she get into her jumps too!She seems to come together nicely this year and believe there will be a stiff competition for that
3rd place finish.

Chen is a beautiful skater and definitely a part of the future of American figure skating.Such speed, flow and presence. A complete skater, just hope she will develope some more consistently in her LP's. I have followed her over the past few years and she is my number one hope for 2018..Lets see!

I thought Sam was slightly under marked and it will be hard for her to reach that bronze medal.I do think as Polina, she will be very consistent in the LP and score well. She reminds me quite a lot by Ashley, not the most natural talent perhaps but such strong personality and stuff competitor (I admire that too)

Glenn was a powerhouse but I was a bit less impressed that I thought I would be. Still feels a bit unfinished (a bit like Grace a few years ago) but obviously a big talent too if she manage to put it together on the international scene.

Sentimental favorite was Caroline Zhang, I was never a die hard fan during her hey days but there is something about this whole situation these past few years that make my heart melt for her. She had such raw talent and hard to believe today, that she was the Junior World Chanpion. I regret that she did not completely remark her technic already from 2009, maybe her career would have turned out differently?But looking how puberty hit her hard..maybe not.
Anyway, I was actually shedding a tear for her during the SP thinking that this is love for the sport. She could have given up years ago (just like Fumie) but she did not. I thought it was fantastic that despite being coach less, not in the best of shape (which obviously does not mean that she is not in good shape) can go out there, skate a classical Zhang program, fight for that 3L/3L and show us the best 2A I have ever seen from her!
Hope to see s great LP and if rumors are true that this is indeed her last Nationals, best of luck in her future prospects.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
She came up against the top four Russians who are the top skaters in the World at the moment at the GPF and got a bronze, even after a poor short program. So a bronze is certainly possible for her at Worlds. Her main competition will likely be Anna Pogo, Satoko Miyahara and Gracie.

I agree completely. If Ashley hits the triple lutz/triple toe or the triple flip/triple toe as well as the 3/3 sequence I think she will DEFINITELY medal. Honestly, a win isn't out of the realm of possibility. She matches Radionova technically with better artistry. Ditto for Elizaveta, although I think she has a more polish than Radionova. Those two are her main competition, imo. I don't see any of the other ladies topping her if she is on. You can do it, Ashley!!!!

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Medalist
I think Michelle could have gotten a 72 (or higher) with just a 3Lz-2T and a 3-F. :)

No way under CoP. She never had a real 3Lz, she would have gotten an "e" call for sure. And since her jumps never had the sort of speed and height, GOEs will not be huge. Spin wise, she would never have achieved high levels. I do think she will get good PCS where P/E, IN and CR are concerned but her SS and TR will not be good as she doesn't have the best speed and edge work.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Ok, amkes sense.
I am surprised she has a LIP since she has Frank as a coach.

Hmm her 3F e issue has been there since before Carroll. Besides old Frank has never been renown for getting his trainees to be big jumpers. Under him, Gracie's jumps have certainly gone smaller.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I just saw Ashley's SP. Her 3/3 was underrotated but she scored 72? she also two footed and I believe she flutzed. How generous of the US judges. It's almost as if they are trying so hard to put her far ahead in case she has another melt down in LP and someone else(not USFA favorite) beats her.
Also watched Mirai's SP. Her 3/3 was very obviously underrotated. Other than that she did pretty good but 65 is way too generous.

Hmm finally someone called a spade a spade. I also think Wagner was scored too generously technically. I do agree she deserved to be on top but not by such a huge margin. The 3T looked < but was given the doubt. The StSq was too generous as I think her edge work and basic skills certainly we're not there to deserve such a high GOE. To me, it deserves no more than +1. I do think she was underscored PCS wise in terms of P/E but SS was too high. On the contrary, I think Courtney Hicks was low balled. She had spark to me and I will say she should get the best TES. But I guess she's built more like the Ito and Harding sort, too much muscular power skating and not easily favored by US judges.

noidont

Final Flight
Ashley should be 3LZe3T<, Polina 3lz<3t<. Karen Chen's < is a bit harsh if we go by that standard. I like her the most. The entire competition seems a UR fest Shin Amano would really enjoy. Hicks is the only one with unquestionable jumps but sadly her style is unappealing all around. Even her jumps look wacky.
The tech caller is hilariously biased.

Barb

Record Breaker
Courtney was the best for me, she deserved 1 or 2nd place in the SP, and is not only jumps, she really was the only one that caught my total attention.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No way under CoP. She never had a real 3Lz, she would have gotten an "e" call for sure. And since her jumps never had the sort of speed and height, GOEs will not be huge. Spin wise, she would never have achieved high levels. I do think she will get good PCS where P/E, IN and CR are concerned but her SS and TR will not be good as she doesn't have the best speed and edge work.

My smilie emoticon should have alerted you to the fact that this was not a serious topic for discussion on this thread. But I should have known...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm finally someone called a spade a spade. I also think Wagner was scored too generously technically. I do agree she deserved to be on top but not by such a huge margin. The 3T looked < but was given the doubt. The StSq was too generous as I think her edge work and basic skills certainly we're not there to deserve such a high GOE. To me, it deserves no more than +1. I do think she was underscored PCS wise in terms of P/E but SS was too high. On the contrary, I think Courtney Hicks was low balled. She had spark to me and I will say she should get the best TES. But I guess she's built more like the Ito and Harding sort, too much muscular power skating and not easily favored by US judges.

Polina's 3T was under-rotated but not called. It seems obvious to me who some of the judges/tech callers want to send to Worlds.

francefox

Rinkside
well at worlds .. your reputation really matters especially if you did great at grand prix series
Let say
if Hicks does a clean sp + fs, she still isnt gonna be on the podium because of politics

but let us say she did great on the previous Grand prix series
and then did good at worlds, then thats a different scenario.. judges will eventually notice her

Unless your like Yuna kim who happens to pop out of nowhere and take the gold lol

stella luna

Final Flight
Ashley's score is just hilarious. Can't believe they are letting her get away with such a bad program.

I'm with you. She was skating around like a hockey player a couple of times, huge gaps in that program.

Ashley may be the favorite, but Gracie is the better skater. The arms! No wasted moments.

I also enjoyed Mirai and Karen Chen. And Chen's Requiem for a Dream soundtrack music is a nice break from the Masterpiece Classics so favored by the top ladies this year.

I don't want to watch Courtney until I can see it with sound.