2015 Four Continents Short Dance Feb 12 Seoul Time | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Short Dance Feb 12 Seoul Time

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
All 5 of the Detroit-trained couples, 2 from Canada and 3 from the US, were originally on the same flight that was cancelled after sitting on the runway for hours. And they all presumably left together on the replacement the next day. So I don't think which club they came from could have made much difference in their state.

I thought HB got shafted, but I guess they're paying 1st year Senior dues!

Nah, H/B are simply not as strong in Latin as they are in traditional ballroom. Give them time.

burntBREAD

Medalist
All 5 of the Detroit-trained couples, 2 from Canada and 3 from the US, were originally on the same flight that was cancelled after sitting on the runway for hours. And they all presumably left together on the replacement the next day. So I don't think which club they came from could have made much difference in their state.

I thought HB got shafted, but I guess they're paying 1st year Senior dues!

Not making excuses, but Alex/Maia made it to Korea a couple of days before some of the others, so I'm assuming it was a different flight.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I have no doubt they should be able to climb up to at least 2nd considering the Shibs' strength is their SD, but this is still a bit disappointing for them.

The high PCS does indicate they're favourites here, certainly, but they've really gotta knock that FD out of the park.

Agreed. This was always the risk of 4CC, if the favourites lose, then their momentum gets messed up. We saw it with Stolbova/Klimov at Euros... and hopefully Duhamel/Radford pick up the easy win in pairs. The worst thing about this is that W/P have evened themselves out with the Shibs and C/B in the judges' minds, and they really need to pull out all the stops in the FD to assert themselves as the ones to beat.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Getting the levels in the SD is huge for the Shibs, especially the pattern. I'm hoping we'll see a much better FD score from them. Outside of their senior Bs, they've been clocking in around 92-96. I'd like them to break 100 at least in this competition.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nah, H/B are simply not as strong in Latin as they are in traditional ballroom. Give them time.

Agree. Without quibbling about the scores, I think H/B's placement was correct.

Now, I happen to think their FD is wonderful, and it will be interesting to see if they can rise in the standings (or at least inch a bit closer) without being in the final group.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Getting the levels in the SD is huge for the Shibs, especially the pattern. I'm hoping we'll see a much better FD score from them. Outside of their senior Bs, they've been clocking in around 92-96. I'd like them to break 100 at least in this competition.

They have to ATTACK the waltz. It's too late to restructure it--which they needed to do before the GPF. So now all they can do is ATTACK. They're skating it too damn small. It needs to be GRAND and SWEEPING and BIG.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Shibs were great technically but performance wise restrained. I'd say their PCS was about right. But this is finally a move in the right direction.

slider11

Medalist
What an interesting turn of events. I am disappointed for the Shibs that their component scores were not higher. I preferred their performance tonight to both Weaver/Poje and Chock/Bates. Both W/P and C/B seem to continue to get the nod from the judges. Even at the US Nationals, C/B were just a hair above the Shibs in the short. I think, though, Maia and Alex have perseverance and patience and see this as a process. I really hope Maia and Alex can insert a little more freedom and joie de vivre into their waltz FD. They need it to make the top 2. Let's see how the FD goes although I think W/P will shine there.

Have you noticed that the audience response to Chock/Bates is luke warm. This has happened alot over their last few appearances at several arenas in different countries. What are the judges seeing that we're missing? Shouldn't that count for something with interpretation if the audience is not enthralled?

Bravo to Paul and Islam. That's their best skate in a long time. Hawayek and Baker have been on such a high through the GPs and Nationals that this seems like a bit of let down. Kaitlin is just 18 and I think this is all a little overwhelming. Jean-Luc seems a little more seasoned and hopefully will help her take all of this in stride. Their Romeo and Juliet free dance is beautiful and I hope they can shake off the jet lag and bring it.

I guess I'm one of the few that really like Gilles and Poirier take on this whole latin thing. I know the "human cape" thing is a bit cheesy but she does literally become the cape in whatever figment of someone's imagination. The slip at the beginning did throw her off and it clearly was not their best. I am looking forward to their 40s FD.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Have you noticed that the audience response to Chock/Bates is luke warm. This has happened alot over their last few appearances at several arenas in different countries. What are the judges seeing that we're missing? Shouldn't that count for something with interpretation if the audience is not enthralled?

This is a competition, not an ice show. And speak for yourself -- C/B look fine to my eyes. Most people don't understand Ice Dance... even most skating fans don't really understand Ice Dance fully...

tulosai

Record Breaker
This is a competition, not an ice show. And speak for yourself -- C/B look fine to my eyes. Most people don't understand Ice Dance... even most skating fans don't really understand Ice Dance fully...

This is the truth. It has taken me since 2006 (when I started to watch dance "seriously"... before that I mostly watched the other 3 disciplines and if dance was on many I wouldn't change the channel) to come to even what I'd call a high-level BASIC understanding of the ice dance rules, key points, how you get the levels, and so on. And this has been with watching ID at every single competition, reading the rules, doing further research, hanging on dorispulaski's every word... I would still say my understanding is only high level basic.

rosacotton

Final Flight
Pairs is STRONG despite being a small field. Almost every pair in this competition have the potential to place top 10 at Worlds.

Agree! Which is why I'm going to stay up for them. (I'll have to learn how the men did when I get up for work.)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I guess I'm one of the few that really like Gilles and Poirier take on this whole latin thing. I know the "human cape" thing is a bit cheesy but she does literally become the cape in whatever figment of someone's imagination. The slip at the beginning did throw her off and it clearly was not their best. I am looking forward to their 40s FD.
I don't mind the concept/choreography of their skate (though I admit that lift looks helluva unimpressive next to what other teams are doing). I don't think they skated it very well on the night though. Very obvious stumble from Gilles at the start, which threw them off the most of the program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is the truth. It has taken me since 2006 (when I started to watch dance "seriously"... before that I mostly watched the other 3 disciplines and if dance was on many I wouldn't change the channel) to come to even what I'd call a high-level BASIC understanding of the ice dance rules, key points, how you get the levels, and so on. And this has been with watching ID at every single competition, reading the rules, doing further research, hanging on dorispulaski's every word... I would still say my understanding is only high level basic.

Yep all this.

That said, TES was C/B's trump card (i.e. what gave them the gap) over the Shibs for the last few seasons up to Skate America. This is the second competition in a row the Shibutanis beat them in TES. That in itself is huge. If nothing is C/B put some fire under the Shibs that I haven't seen from them EVER. It's like last season, they were glad just to be on the Olympic team and they were thisclose to walking away when it was all done. Now they look like they want to actually be the best in the U.S./World.

Last edited:

nocturnalis

Medalist

Preach! Execution > performance quality. That being said, I believe try at the ShibSibs have better execution and performance quality than C/B, so I don't know where the scores are coming from.