2015 Worlds Men Free Skate March 28 | Page 89 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Men Free Skate March 28

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And now I will take my cue ;) to follow up with my stupid questions re Max Aaron:

The ISU World Standings have been updated today with the Shanghai results.

Max is now #11 on the list (and Machida is #6, so Max is in the top ten among active skaters). So ...:

- How do World Standings play into GP assignments?

- And do skaters earn World Standings points at WTT? (Asking in case Max gets assigned ....)​

I believe WTT scores count toward SB. I don't think they go toward World Standing points...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hanyu was overscored in the SP, he should have been below Fernandez. In fairness Denis was also overscored but in the LP I clearly felt Ten made up for the difference to overtake Hanyu.

IMO, Hanyu shouldn't have lead after the SP, but it's understandable - Fernandez himself was a bit sloppy, even if he jumped cleanly.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I believe WTT scores count toward SB. I don't think they go toward World Standing points...

Oh, thanks, Mrs P.

And from what I just looked up in an old GS thread, the World Standings count toward getting only one GP assignment.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...3-2014-The-men&p=718533&viewfull=1#post718533

(As an aside, I hate to add that Max's position in the World Standings could change after the re-weighting of the seasonal placement points. But I would think that he still would be in the crucial top 24 for one assignment.)

But I am happy that the others are guaranteed two assignments.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Now that my attention has been drawn to it, yeah, despite the explanations and excuses I'm still not seeing the logic... It's understandable but he shouldn't have lead...? Sorry, nope, one can't have it both ways. :laugh:

IMO, Hanyu shouldn't have lead after the SP, but it's understandable - Fernandez himself was a bit sloppy, even if he jumped cleanly.

I think D10 deserved silver, but as far as the errors he made, he wasn't going to get it.

andromache

Record Breaker
Oh, thanks, Mrs P.

And from what I just looked up in an old GS thread, the World Standings count toward getting only one GP assignment.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...3-2014-The-men&p=718533&viewfull=1#post718533

(As an aside, I hate to add that Max's position in the World Standings could change after the re-weighting of the seasonal placement points. But I would think that he still would be in the crucial top 24 for one assignment.)

But I am happy that the others are guaranteed two assignments.

Is Josh guaranteed two assignments because of his top 12 finish here even though he isn't in the top 24 in the rankings?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Is Josh guaranteed two assignments because of his top 12 finish here even though he isn't in the top 24 in the rankings?

Yes, everyone in the top 12 gets two spots regardless of world standing/season's best score.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As I've said, looking at protocols and knowing the system, many things are understandable and can be explained. But sometimes it's apparent that some skaters deserve to be placed ahead of other skaters, as in they gave a stronger/cleaner/more difficult performance, but then you see that they got a UR/edge call here and there.

e.g. Hongo *deserved* a higher placement in my opinion, because her performance was better than the Americans, IMO.... but when I see the deductions it's understandable.

Nguyen, IMO, deserves to be placed higher than Brown but I *understand* the reasons why he wasn't.

In the case of Hanyu/Fernandez's SP placements... a clean skate from Fernandez *deserved* to be higher than a flawed quad skate from Hanyu. But given Hanyu didn't fall on his quad... did everything else relatively well, and given Javier's sloppiness in places (and other things, like his off-axis 3A), it make sense. In short, I think Javier deserved the SP lead and Hanyu was overscored on PCS, but even with lower PCS, I could picture it having gone either way --- but just looking at the programs and considering Hanyu's error, I would have had Javier ahead.

Look at it this way "deserved" to be ahead is akin to saying, under 6.0 the judges would have placed Javier ahead, but under IJS the way points are allocated, it's understandable why Hanyu was ahead.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow Jason...he was so great. Soooo glad he changed his pants. That gave such a mature look for him.

Happy for podium. Happy for my U.S. men. Wished Joshua was feeling well. Didn't really expect hanyu to do so well after his illness, surgeries. So I'm happy for him.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wow Jason...he was so great. Soooo glad he changed his pants. That gave such a mature look for him.

Happy for podium. Happy for my U.S. men. Wished Joshua was well. Didn't really expect hanyu to do so well after his illness, surgeries so I'm happy for him.

It's not just a "mature" look, it also points out a basic problem with color blocked costumes: they chop your line up into sections. It's basic Fashion 101. People were laughing at the Eurosports guys about the insistence for long sleeves, but he was right: it does improve the look of the line.

Grrr I fell asleep during the Zamboniing, but what lovely results to wake up to. Kori is a genius. Thrilled for Javier--that should give skating a big boost in Spain (and weren't the Spanish audiences just wonderful in the GPF?). The three I thought would podium did. 3 spots for US Men (way to go Adam), and all three get 2 GP slots next year (way to go guys!). Nguyen makes his mark on the world stage. Misha Ge shows what taking things seriously can accomplish (like, you can be entertaining in other ways than being the class clown, whilst impressing everyone with your athletic prowess). You can even give Kovtun credit: jumping 9 places from short to long is a huge accomplishment. And even Brendan made the top 20.

Off to Youtube.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's not just a "mature" look, it also points out a basic problem with color blocked costumes: they chop your line up into sections. It's basic Fashion 101. People were laughing at the Eurosports guys about the insistence for long sleeves, but he was right: it does improve the look of the line. ...

To borrow/steal ;) your phrase, "I may be the cheese stands alone" on this question, but I prefer the overall look/coloring of Jason's original FS costume.

Rissa

Record Breaker
As I've said, looking at protocols and knowing the system, many things are understandable and can be explained. < snip>

SGC, I read what you wrote before and believe me or not, I do know what you mean. And I disagree. No, if the scoring and placement under the scoring is fair, one does not deserve to be higher. No, if one was sloppy and the scoring understandably reflected it and it was the reason for placing lower, one should not have lead. You can't eat a cake and have it.

peg

Medalist
I wasn't able to watch this and just got here, but I want to say

Way to go, Nam!!!!!! Holy crap. I know he's Mr. Consistency and all, but I was not expecting him to place 4th in the FS and 5th overall. What a fabulous result.

And Congrats to Javi, the new World Champion! And Yuzu and D Ten as well for their podium finishes.

It was indeed a good day for the Orser rink. He must have been absolutely beaming.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I love everything about Denis Ten's LP, and he performed it so well. He deserved gold overall, IMO. I thought Hanyu's program was beautiful as well, too bad about the falls. I like Fernandez, but couldn't quite get into his program. Not only do I not find the choreography interesting, it just looks like a messy performance IMO. I'm happy for the winners though. I actually hope Denis and Yuzuru keep their current programs. They are beautiful to watch!

Rissa

Record Breaker
Some remarks from a once-a-year watcher of figure skating, namely my mother:

1. Kovtun: Is he spider man? (from a woman who's never held a Spiderman comic in her hands or seen a movie)

2. Nam: 16? He looks older than your favorite thin Japanese... Needs more maturity though.

3. Michal: He shouldn't be wearing gray pants. Dark red would be better. But the jacket is awesome.

4. Denis: Oh the skating and the music reminds me of another skater from the Olympics, where was he from, Kazahkstan? (me: mom, it's the same guy)

5. Adam: Very nice. His shirt reminds me of military.

6. Yuzuru: Oooh, I love Phantom of the Opera!

7. Javier: How can he wear such an awful pale vest? If at least there was glitter on it. Oh he's skating to Barber of Seville? Ok then, servants didn't wear glitter then.

8. Han Yan: So handsome! Oh poor guy, can you imagine what he must be feeling right now?

9. Jason: Why does he look like a Gypsy? (me: mom, it's a mediaval costume, he's doing Tristan and Isolde, and wait, he changed those awful mustard pants!) Well, I like this costume, that thing flapping around his waist looks good when he's spinnig and he's interpreting well.

Overall, I think she liked Jason Brown best.:biggrin: Between clean Nam and messy Michal, she liked Michal better.

ETA: Oh, I forgot but that was great:

Florent: Great costume! It's, like, Africa!

Eta 2: One more thing I remembered just now:

Jason: Is his ponytail real or part of the costume? (me: nah, it's real) Are you sure, he could have attached it to be more in character. (me: he had a ponytail in the SP too, so yeah I'm sure...)

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

1. Kovtun: Is he spider man? (from a woman who's never held a Spiderman comic in her hands or seen a movie)

2. Nam: 16? He looks older than your favorite thin Japanese... Needs more maturity though.

3. Michal: He shouldn't be wearing gray pants. Dark red would be better. But the jacket is awesome.

4. Denis: Oh the skating and the music reminds me of another skater from the Olympics, where was he from, Kazahkstan? (me: mom, it's the same guy)

7. Javier: How can he wear such an awful pale vest? If at least there was glitter on it. Oh he's skating to Barber of Seville? Ok then, servants didn't wear glitter then.

8. Han Yan: So handsome! Oh poor guy, can you imagine what he must be feeling right now?

9. Jason: Why does he look like a Gypsy? (me: mom, it's a mediaval costume, he'd doing Tristan and Isolde, and wait, he changed those awful mustard pants!) Well, I like this costume, that thing flapping around his waist looks good when he's spinnign and he's interpreting well.

Overall, I think she liked Jason Brown best.:biggrin:

Oh, I forgot but that was great:

wow, sounds so much fun watching it with her:laugh2:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

9. Jason: Why does he look like a Gypsy? (me: mom, it's a mediaval costume, he'd doing Tristan and Isolde, and wait, he changed those awful mustard pants!) Well, I like this costume, that thing flapping around his waist looks good when he's spinnign and he's interpreting well.

Overall, I think she liked Jason Brown best.:biggrin: Between clean Nam and messy Michal, she liked Michal better.

ETA: Oh, I forgot but that was great:

:laugh2: Your mom is a riot. Thanks for posting that.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Umm, wasn't she actually right on this one? I think he was skating to spiderman music right?