2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Men Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Men Free Skate

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I the only person who Does. Not. Care. how Ted pronounces names?

Et moi je sais la prononciation de ces noms en français, et je m'en fiche. (I know how to pronounce them, I don't care ... meaning about Ted's pronunciation).

Well, I know the answer, yes, I am the only person. :laugh:
OK, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.....

(ETA: typing a non English language while fighting English autocorrect takes far too long. :biggrin:)

No, you're NOT the only person who doesn't care how Ted or anyone else pronounces names. What Ted gives us in commentary is positive, appreciative of each skater, and loving to point out something good, great or unique in every skater's performance. He's very well informed about each skater, and that reflects research as well as a good historical perspective on each one.

Mark Hanretty does even more, repeating very recent quotes from skaters and adding nuances about their skating.

To me, those nuggets are so very much more important and interesting than it would be to have them spend their time finding out and practicing the correct pronunciations in how many languages: a lot.

And I'm a lover of language, both my native one and a few others ... sometimes just the sounds and/or cadences, rhythms, musical qualities ....

peepsquick

Final Flight
No, you're NOT the only person who doesn't care how Ted or anyone else pronounces names. What Ted gives us in commentary is positive, appreciative of each skater, and loving to point out something good, great or unique in every skater's performance. He's very well informed about each skater, and that reflects research as well as a good historical perspective on each one.

Mark Hanretty does even more, repeating very recent quotes from skaters and adding nuances about their skating.

To me, those nuggets are so very much more important and interesting than it would be to have them spend their time finding out and practicing the correct pronunciations in how many languages: a lot.

And I'm a lover of language, both my native one and a few others ... sometimes just the sounds and/or cadences, rhythms, musical qualities ....
Hold your horses! It is not an attack on either Ted or Mark's qualities as commentators ... just a few tongue in cheek comments on a few mispronounced names. I am pretty sure they both would want to correct their errors if they knew. Nothing more.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I think it is disrespectful not to learn how to pronounce a skater's (or any athlete's) name correctly if you are broadcasting.
I don't care so much about the names as I do that they get the countries they are representing correct. And I HAVE seen the skaters get annoyed by that.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I don't care so much about the names as I do that they get the countries they are representing correct. And I HAVE seen the skaters get annoyed by that.
Commentators should most definitely getting the country corrected. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive about names (people sometimes correct ME on the pronunciation of MY name). I love Ted and Mark and I thought the combination of their commentary complimented each other well. I appreciate the positivity AND the content.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Am I the only person who Does. Not. Care. how Ted pronounces names?

Et moi je sais la prononciation de ces noms en français, et je m'en fiche. (I know how to pronounce them, I don't care ... meaning about Ted's pronunciation).

Well, I know the answer, yes, I am the only person. :laugh:
OK, back to our regularly scheduled discussion.....

(ETA: typing a non English language while fighting English autocorrect takes far too long. :biggrin:)
It is one of Ted's endearing traits. After all these years, he still can't pronounce the names correctly. I find it pleasantly humorous, but not at Ted's expense.