Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 124 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Dors Australia support its athletes as they have to travel so far? Jetlag must be a problem

The top skaters receive a little funding. The Australian fed is not exactly rolling in money and figure skating is not a "glamour" sport to attracts the millions of government dollars like the snowboarding does. I don't know how much.

I imagine jetlag is a problem, yes. It's probably why we get circumstances like the Dodds brothers doing three comps in three weeks in Europe.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Another issue with doing lots of competitions is the travel and jet lag exhaustion. If you were based in Europe and could most of your competitions there it might be ok but if competing more means always jumping back and forth from Japan, North America, and Europe that is unbelievably taxing just by itself.

This. I can go without sleep for 40 hours, and have at work. BUT, it takes me days to recover, and to expect someone to be world class after an ultra-long flight is really being optimistic. Also, every time I fly I get the flu or cold and it takes me days to recover. Last Xmas I flew for a one hour flight to see my parents for a week. The guy next to me was coughing and sneezing and I'm thinking "Oh, F". I was sick and bedridden for five of those seven days. I guess what I'm saying is that it's not competing all the time, which should be a good thing, it's the travel and the time changes. Most disciplined athletes I know have a set sleep schedule. Bed at 9, up at 5. Throw in 10 time zones and you get lost. I suppose Liza had it easier because she was competing most of the time in Europe.

moriel

Record Breaker
A friend of mine that travels a lot for work shared that she tries to fit things in her schedule and not the other way around.
So for example, she usually wakes up at 6am and goes to bed at 11pm her time. When she travels, she tries to not change that much - even if it means waking up at 2 pm and going to bed at 5 am in the new timezone.
Maybe athletes would do something similar too (they dont compete all day after all, so probably they dont have to adapt entirely to the new timezone, but could keep their sleep hours close to the regular ones).

cl2

Final Flight
Stupid question... Is there a reason why only jumps are awarded extra points for being in the second half of the program? Why not every element that's executed in the second half gets a boost? IIRC, it was because skaters get tired and jumps become harder. But well, don't spins become harder when a skater is tired, too?

thedybbuk

Rinkside
I find some of the answers about why skaters don't skate more convincing (money for one), and some less so (jet lag, etc). The money one is a good one, and I agree it probably prevents skaters from especially smaller skating countries from competing more. The traveling one I don't really but though. Maybe for skaters from far away countries like Australia, but it doesn't explain why more European skaters don't take advantage of B events around Europe. Tennis players travel literally 3/4ths of the year, playing sometimes 30+ tournaments a year all around the world. I just don't buy that competing in say 8 events instead of 4-5 is going to be too much for skaters to do. To me, part of the answer just seems to be tradition. Top skaters are just expected to compete sparingly. But I still feel some, not all, could benefit from more competition experience, especially against lesser fields.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
How many skaters is a nation allowed to enter in each division in a Senior B? (as there are 22 Estonian junior ladies at their Challenger event, and I think 14 at the Riga Cup? Can they do that? Could America or Russia theoretically enter 22 junior ladies in an event?)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The ISU does not regulate spots at Junor events, other than the JGP, JGPF, and Junior Worlds, AFAIK.

There was a junior event at the US's only Challenger event at Salt Lake. There is a junior event run there at the same time and location. AFAIK all of the entrants were Americans.

At Ice Challenge, in Austria, here is an international event called Leo Scheu Memorial for juniors.
http://skateaustria.lvps91-250-98-1....de/img/competition/1.2015_16/00005/index.htm

There are 6 junior ladies from Germany. There do not appear to be any limits on the number from any one country.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
What happened on 6-29-15 that it was the popular time on the forum? Before that the most users ever on the forum was during the 2014 Olympics. This has been bugging me for awhile because I can't think of what was going on in figure skating in June:)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What happened on 6-29-15 that it was the popular time on the forum? Before that the most users ever on the forum was during the 2014 Olympics. This has been bugging me for awhile because I can't think of what was going on in figure skating in June:)

Announcement of Grand Prix Assignments is what immediately popped into my head. As why it would be the most popular day ever, well...idk, maybe we got an influx of Hanyufans or something. There's kind of a lot of them.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No GP assignments came on June 15th...Baby P's original due date!

June 29 was maybe post Broadmoor Open/Freezer Jump competition action?

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I am no expert in the rules and regulations of figure skating scoring, but I thought the GOE was from -3 to 3. When I was looking at some of the Grand Prix protocols I saw some GOEs of -3.7 and -4. Could someone please clarify for me what the ranges of GOE for jumps are? Thanks.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am no expert in the rules and regulations of figure skating scoring, but I thought the GOE was from -3 to 3. When I was looking at some of the Grand Prix protocols I saw some GOEs of -3.7 and -4. Could someone please clarify for me what the ranges of GOE for jumps are? Thanks.

All elements are judged between -3 and +3, so you will always see that in the columns. But not all elements are a straight +/- 3 points - they are factored by... whatever the PTB decide it is worth at the start of the season.

So spins end up being worth less than +/- 3 points, but are still graded at +/- 3 GOE. Quads this year can swing 4 points either way. The +/- 3 is still what the judges give, but the math that gets added/subtracted is different.

gkelly

Record Breaker
And in addition to the GOEs having different values for different elements, the final numbers that get added to or subtracted from the base value are averages, so they will often have more decimal places.

The consensus (me and Doris :) ) seems to be that it is an unintended consequence of software upgrades or tweaking the vboard settings. For instance, if you change the length of time that an inactive poster is counted as being "logged in," that will obviously affect this statistic.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This question has been in the back of my mind for quite a while now. What exactly does a tight landing for a jump mean? Ever since I heard Tara and Johnny mention that in the USA nationals commentary last January, I've been wondering. Now I finally am asking. lol

This question has been in the back of my mind for quite a while now. What exactly does a tight landing for a jump mean? Ever since I heard Tara and Johnny mention that in the USA nationals commentary last January, I've been wondering. Now I finally am asking. lol

I believe it means something like, the skater did not get any flow, control and extension on the landing. It should be like this. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imuQWeIi4Q#t=1m54s

I think a "tight landing" occurs because the stater is struggling to get in the rotations and lands while still basically in her tight, arms in, legs straight in-air position and is not able to stretch out and reach back in time for a beautiful landing. It also seems to me (I am not an expert :) ) that often on a tight landing the skater's blades throw up some snow on the landing, indicating that they do not have their landing edge lined up exactly right to obtain continuous flow.

Well, that's my shot at it. :)

Edited to add: If the You Tube time stamp doesn't work, its the double Axel at 1 minute 45 seconds.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What happened on 6-29-15 that it was the popular time on the forum? Before that the most users ever on the forum was during the 2014 Olympics.

It looks like the Google and Yahoo search engine crawlers invaded us that day. I have just reset it so it's starting all over :)