2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Ladies Free Skate

AprilS

On the Ice
I dunno =(
I also wonder... But then they dont give benefit of doubt to anyone else, do they?

Today her jump landings looked fine to me, and it's jump landings (where most other skaters UR) that can be slo-moed (if the rule I'm thinking of is correct, of course). Actually, if this rule is true*, it might even explain why some people don't get edge calls???

*can someone confirm?

Last edited:

Seruleane

Final Flight
Ashley: My favorite skate of the night. Great comeback, and way to show she's still a serious competitor! :clap::clap:
Evgenia: Well deserved win. I keep trying to dislike her because she's the main rival for my favorite Elena, but it's so darn hard when she's sooo good and lovely to watch! I think she will be a serious contender for years to come. She's got the whole package.
Elena: Congrats on bronze! I know she was disappointed, but I think the scoring was probably fair, and TBH I don't mind if she is disappointed and this motivates her to work harder and improve her skating even more! :cheer:
Mao: :cry: I hope she comes back strong at Nationals and Words

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Somebody correct me pls, if I am wrong but technically I believe Evgenia beat Yuna's score today???? When Yuna did it, there was an extra element allowed????

In any case, Miyahara got perfectly correct PCS for that nice skate, BUT that TES was a joke!!!! Everyone else got what they deserved.

Yep, you're not wrong. There's also the "new skater at senior level" deflation in Medvedeva's PCS(one would assume).

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Maybe it's some judge's birthday, and the group of them decided to celebrate early right at the competition? I don't get the scores. It's not even Oly time:scratch3:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Maybe it's some judge's birthday, and the group of them decided to celebrate early right at the competition? I don't get the scores. It's not even Oly time:scratch3:

Medvedeva's in jr olympics this winter.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
personal thoughts (cont'd)

Mao: How should I start. Ok, I am kinda surprised(?) that she is even behind Gracie, but, I wasn't sad or upset or even disappointed at all. There is this subtle feeling that I am dead sure she is gonna have a big bang one day. It is like walking in a cave and then you see a light, you keep chasing for it but it gets a bit farther when it seems that you are about to reach. Then finally, someday, you are gonna arrive to the light and what comes into your eyes is paradise. So I will always have hope and faith in her. Keep skating until you can't Mao, as you yourself said it.

begin

Medalist
Why are the judges so eager to hit the score ceiling? That's what they're trending towards whenever a young skater throws out a clean performance. Is the ISU just going to reset the scoring when that happens lol?

Congrats to the podium. Bad competition for Mao, but historically she doesn't hit her peak until 4CC or later so I wasn't expecting too much here.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
People whining about Evgenia's score need to realize the judges had no choice. The set it all up with their marks really high for Ashley, which frankly were too high :confused2: Then they had to inflate Sako to put her on top so of course Evgenia was going to get even higher for her skate ;)

SorrySkater

On the Ice
Overall thoughts:
1. The correct person won.
2. It would be nice if the judges would penalize Miyahara's egregious prerotations. Aside from that, her skating is lovely.
3. Ashley should've placed ahead of Miyahara and been on the podium. If only she had skated a clean short.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I have my problems

with some of the scores. But I hate to bring this up, as it always backfires to the athlete, while the judges get away with it. That said, I would had given Ashley the third spot on the podium, that lady was amazing today, stunning interpretation and performance! She was scored accordingly, but I think that the PC´s were a bit too high for Elena in perspective to Satoko and Gracie. Again, I love this girl - but I do not think that we or the judges for that matter, help her if they do what they did today and we celebrate it here.

It was not her strongest Titanic performance, yet the PC´s were sky high. She can skate this program a lot better, not just in regards of the jumps or spins, but especially the interpretation and execution. Her face was not as cool and relaxed as usual, she seemed to be a bit tight today. In my opinion, respecting and supporting a skater also means, to be honest and fair - maybe I am now a bad boy, but this is just how I see this whole thing.

Evgenia was amazing, I am very happy for her and the competition, we have a winner who was clearly better than everyone else, no discussion needed. What Gracie did... oh well, she stays my number one just like Adelina. I enjoy how they skate, it just clicks for me and I feel she has the total package, the firebird is an amazing program - I love how she really portraits it, maybe it is one of the harder to grasp programs out there, but who said that art must be understood by everyone?

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
People whining about Evgenia's score need to realize the judges had no choice. The set it all up with their marks really high for Ashley, which frankly were too high :confused2: Then they had to inflate Sako to put her on top so of course Evgenia was going to get even higher for her skate ;)

I don't know about other people, but my problem isn't with Zhenia or Satoko or anybody else there, but with judges. Inflation was overall. I thought the judges had to see the progress in skate and after that only give better marks than before. Today I feel strange. I wouldn't say that so many skates were that amazing. So I really don't understand the scores:noshake:

blargmonster

Rinkside
Somebody correct me pls, if I am wrong but technically I believe Evgenia beat Yuna's score today???? When Yuna did it, there was an extra element allowed????

In any case, Miyahara got perfectly correct PCS for that nice skate, BUT that TES was a joke!!!! Everyone else got what they deserved.

That tech score is actually only like 2 point difference because the choreography sequence replaced the spiral. Yuna scored a 148 with the new rules in the 2013 worlds. If Evgenia's PCs were scored relatively it her total score would be nowhere near either of Yuna's scores.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Because Medvedeva's execution was not that great. GOE and PCS were given away these days unlike the Vancouver days.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I just watched Ashley's Free Program and I could feel the emotion from that performance from Halfway Around The World here in California. I loved everything about it. Especially the packaging. Isn't She playing Madame? Come on......She plays that roll perfectly and that performance was deserving of the Standing Ovation it received.

I am beyond of proud of Ashley who had to step on the ice in LAST PLACE as the US Champion. If she's anything like I was...... Losing was something I took badly and unless you know how to channel those feelings into positive motivation. You have a double meltdown and stay in last place.

Today, even though she finished off the podium, Ashley showed that she's worthy of her Diva status. Bravo Ashley!!:points:

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
She got a 72. There is definitely no "deflation".

Well, there practically always is. So logic would say that they'd have otherwise given her even more... Unless she's an exception and they already are at her actual PCS. It's all relative. Maybe she would have received 73 otherwise? I think that it's logical to assume it's for her how it's always been in the past.

Last edited: