Slow Motion Jump Editing (AKA: Sam's Jump-a-ma-tron) | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Slow Motion Jump Editing (AKA: Sam's Jump-a-ma-tron)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Call me cynical, but that guy seems to know what he is talking about and I would guess he was "in the sport" earlier in life...just a guess. My guess is that he didnt want to make waves....or was told not to.

Well, TBF, someone said that Satoko's jumps would have been fine under 6.0, so if that's what he grew up with, maybe that's why he didn't call it out.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since people brought in other videos as evidence regarding Satoko and wanted to see explanations regarding rotations and jumps I tried my best to offer up a quick video that shows both pre and under rotations using videos you guys have provided . I am about tired of doing Satoko jumpamtrons and I hope this will be the last one for a long while since I have other plans to do more positive videos. Anyway....I present to you the following.

Satoko NHK SP 2015 Jumpamatron : 3z-3t
https://youtu.be/nZOTRsyspAw
Available in up to 720p HD

TBH I don't event think the 3t is a full 2t. It isn't an under roatated 2t but it looks to me like she spins over an entire rotation on the ice. Mind bottling. :jaw:

So......can anyone nominate another skater to put thru the jumpamatron? Maybe a good jump this time. I'm already working on a Yuzu tribute to his jumps and choreo from NHK FS and combining it with his SP Barcelona into one video so I'm likely not going to do more of him but I'm curious as to who you guys want to see. If you drop an HD link to anything you'd like that would be helpful.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Since people brought in other videos as evidence regarding Satoko and wanted to see explanations regarding rotations and jumps I tried my best to offer up a quick video that shows both pre and under rotations using videos you guys have provided . I am about tired of doing Satoko jumpamtrons and I hope this will be the last one for a long while since I have other plans to do more positive videos. Anyway....I present to you the following.

Satoko NHK SP 2015 Jumpamatron : 3z-3t
https://youtu.be/nZOTRsyspAw
Available in up to 720p HD

TBH I don't event think the 3t is a full 2t. It isn't an under roatated 2t but it looks to me like she spins over an entire rotation on the ice. Mind bottling. :jaw:

So......can anyone nominate another skater to put thru the jumpamatron? Maybe a good jump this time. I'm already working on a Yuzu tribute to his jumps and choreo from NHK FS and combining it with his SP Barcelona into one video so I'm likely not going to do more of him but I'm curious as to who you guys want to see. If you drop an HD link to anything you'd like that would be helpful.

The video makes me weep. I always cringe when I see these of Satoko. But my love for her skating will never die, never! :furious:

Franklin99

Medalist
^Her PRE and UR are so glaringly obvious. I don't understand how the judges/tech can notice Mao's and Ashley's, but not Satoko.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The video makes me weep. I always cringe when I see these of Satoko. But my love for her skating will never die, never! :furious:

I know....I'm not taking any satisfaction from these. I actually felt a little iffy about even posting this one TBH because I'm sure people are going to start hating me and think I have it out for the girl. But I must say......seeing a jump with an error like this get docked points and is only worth 8.90 pts in the exact same competition makes me a little sad that Satoko is being rewarded 10.80 pts for a jump with multiple errors that I consider to be much worse. I do however think it is an interesting discussion and FWIW I'd put Satoko way up on my list of favorites if she was scored more fairly.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I know Sataoko's jump is the factor preventing from loving her skating completely, and the slow mo videos probably explains why. It is a little depressing to think about her so called consistency is achieved through systematic pre-rotation and under-rotation, without be called the majority of the time. I think if there were a better Japanese lady than Satoko, the judges will be more serious.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I know....I'm not taking any satisfaction from these. I actually felt a little iffy about even posting this one TBH because I'm sure people are going to start hating me and think I have it out for the girl. But I must say......seeing a jump with an error like this get docked points and is only worth 8.90 pts in the exact same competition makes me a little sad myself that Satoko is being rewarded 10.80 pts for a jump with multiple errors that I consider to be much worse. I do however think it is an interesting discussion and FWIW I'd put Satoko way up on my list of favorites if she was scored more fairly.

One cannot really love Satoko for her jumps. :sad46:
But I blame the judges for continuing to give her to much TES and not enough PCS. Get the order right guys! Sigh.

moriel

Record Breaker
I know those arent your favourites, but maybe some stuff from pairs? Like twists / throws? =D There were some quite positive ones during GPF

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
^Her PRE and UR are so glaringly obvious. I don't understand how the judges/tech can notice Mao's and Ashley's, but not Satoko.

I get this point, but to be honest, I think I understand it a little after the GPF.

If you only see Satoko on the ice, no zooming in and no slow-mo, her jumps look a lot better. Weirdly enough, I think the fact that her jumps are so small helps her in that regard. Because of the lacking height, for me it's harder to see when her blade actually hits the ice - couple that with how fast she rotates and it's pretty much impossible. So the only thing you really notice is the lack of height (which is not an indicator of full rotation or not) and the good flow out she gets - which usually is an indicator for full rotation.
Case in point: I was sitting behind the technical panel during the ladies free, and they didn't review any of Satokos jumps. In contrast to that, Ashleys and Maos URs are more visible, because you can see that their landings are "off" (that said, I thought Ashley was getting away with quite some URs too... :slink: ). So why I don't want to defend the lack of UR calls, I think I can see where it's coming from.

And I'm so looking forward to that Yuzu video Sam! :love:

David21

On the Ice

The judges did notice Satoka's URs before. At Skate America, two of her jumps in the Free Skate were called as underrotated. And it's not that the judges always notice Mao's underrotations. In fact, they very often miss them!

Last edited:

JayW

Final Flight
Sam-Skwantch[/QUOTE said:
Hi Sam,

Can you compile a video for jumps of Evgenia Medvedeva from GPF? I thought her jumps actually improved a lot in GPF.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I get this point, but to be honest, I think I understand it a little after the GPF.

If you only see Satoko on the ice, no zooming in and no slow-mo, her jumps look a lot better. Weirdly enough, I think the fact that her jumps are so small helps her in that regard. Because of the lacking height, for me it's harder to see when her blade actually hits the ice - couple that with how fast she rotates and it's pretty much impossible. So the only thing you really notice is the lack of height (which is not an indicator of full rotation or not) and the good flow out she gets - which usually is an indicator for full rotation.
Case in point: I was sitting behind the technical panel during the ladies free, and they didn't review any of Satokos jumps. In contrast to that, Ashleys and Maos URs are more visible, because you can see that their landings are "off" (that said, I thought Ashley was getting away with quite some URs too... :slink: ). So why I don't want to defend the lack of UR calls, I think I can see where it's coming from.

And I'm so looking forward to that Yuzu video Sam! :love:
I agree, although I think that the height is in fact an indicator wether a jump can be rotated or not. Even if a skater rotates as fast as Satoko does, you still need a certain height. It's physics. And interesting that you saw that the tech panel didn't review Satoko's jumps. I don't understand that, honestly. :scratch2: And I love her as a skater.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I agree, although I think that the height is in fact an indicator wether a jump can be rotated or not. Even if a skater rotates as fast as Satoko does, you still need a certain height. It's physics. And interesting that you saw that the tech panel didn't review Satoko's jumps. I don't understand that, honestly. :scratch2: And I love her as a skater.

Yes of course, but her jumps don't look that tiny live ;)

As I said, I think she should have gotten some <'s, and the judges should have reviewed the jumps. But if you have to mark the jumps in real time I guess an overall "good flow" impression is going to sway some panels into not marking them. It was the same in the SP - the 3Lz3T looked pretty fine in the program, but on the big screen afterwards, you could see the definite URs. But at that point, if the tech panel hasn't marked it, they can't review it I think.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know those arent your favourites, but maybe some stuff from pairs? Like twists / throws? =D There were some quite positive ones during GPF

Hey moriel.......I did make this video after last years WC of the top four pairs. I can probably do another one at some point but wanted to make sure you had seen this one from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPT4m8pFFXA

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yup i did, that is pretty awesome =D
I just dunno, pair stuff is actually more exciting than single jumps when done well, but then way less people like pairs =(

TnT's Bollywood is one of my favorite programs this season from any discipline. :yes:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I know....I'm not taking any satisfaction from these. I actually felt a little iffy about even posting this one TBH because I'm sure people are going to start hating me and think I have it out for the girl. But I must say......seeing a jump with an error like this get docked points and is only worth 8.90 pts in the exact same competition makes me a little sad that Satoko is being rewarded 10.80 pts for a jump with multiple errors that I consider to be much worse. I do however think it is an interesting discussion and FWIW I'd put Satoko way up on my list of favorites if she was scored more fairly.

I hear you and Interspectator, and I feel the same way....but it is after all a sport and it isnt fair to the other skaters when the scoring isnt just and fair....nothing would make me happier if, after this season, her coach taught her how to jump properly...but if she were to continue to win major comps after this year with cheated jumps, I would feel very bad about my sport...