S Korea hails new skating prodigy, 11 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

S Korea hails new skating prodigy, 11

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
we don't know what the future holds for her, but she has a lot of potential.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Let's not forget, Yuna won her nationals at the age of 12 and look what she became..... I do understand what media and attention can do to a skater, but honestly, IMO, it'll make them mentally stronger. Puberty may or may not affect her, but what she produced at the nationals is rare in a country like South Korea, and I hope she'll survive and do well in the future.

There is no need to be negative just because she is young, instead, can we just congratulate her on winning her national title and hope she'll do well?

paperhearts

Final Flight
She's a wonderful skater and it's amazing how far she's gone being just a novice skater, I hope she stays relatively injury-free and that the media play doesn't bother her too much. :)

moriel

Record Breaker
Let's not forget, Yuna won her nationals at the age of 12 and look what she became..... I do understand what media and attention can do to a skater, but honestly, IMO, it'll make them mentally stronger. Puberty may or may not affect her, but what she produced at the nationals is rare in a country like South Korea, and I hope she'll survive and do well in the future.

There is no need to be negative just because she is young, instead, can we just congratulate her on winning her national title and hope she'll do well?

When Yuna won her first korean nationals, she was just some random girl from a non FS country without any international experience. There was no pressure, because nobody paid attention.
As far as i can find, the same year she won, there was only one male skater competing, just to show the range of the nationals =)

shyne

Final Flight
I'm so glad that the S Korean media has someone else to focus now instead of pressuring Yuna to return for 2018.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Regardless of where she goes from here, to be pulling out those kind of jumps and spins, and that kind of skating at age 11 makes her a prodigy.

lishazard

Rinkside
Haejin Kim also won Senior Nationals around 12-13 and was hyped up as the next Yuna. And she did well for a while, even winning a gold on the JGP. Now she isn't even top 10 in her own Nationals. Granted in her case there was more at play like technique than pressure, but it must be horrible to be once lifted so high by the media and now be forgotten. I don't think Yuna herself enjoyed the media pressure that much either.

People in this thread are not understating Young You's achievements or talents. They just want her to train in peace so she can achieve even more! I personally can't wait to see her and the other Korean wonderbabies develop.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let the pressure cooker begin. Hopefully she can develop in peace.

I'll never understand the need of the media and even some fans to create the next big thing.

Last edited:

bara1968

On the Ice
I do not get this "let's not hype her YET" kind of attitude either. A skater like her really needs to get the sponsors asap, especially in the country like S Korea where you basically need to pay everything on your own with minimum possible help from the skating union. I bet it will be extremely helpful to receive such recognitions to earn some support. Moreover I agree with lilahozi that her talent is magnificent, and that she should be considered to be a prodigy. Why not celebrate? How often do we witness this level of talent, from the minor country - FS-wise?

@ To the person who used mathematician example : I am sorry but I have never seen such a person (who won Gold medal at the national level competition and fail to go to college? Haha), or have you? By the way your example is not fit to the case since the research mathematics has almost nothing to do with this kind of problem solving skills that you need to win the math competitions. However, sports and FS, Young You example is pretty much different from this case. The skill set that Young You proved to own is exactly same skill set you need to become a top skater. The question is whether she can "maintain" her skills for next couple of years, and I wish her all the best for that. (I know, I know that I may be overly serious with this one example :laugh:)

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I do understand what media and attention can do to a skater, but honestly, IMO, it'll make them mentally stronger.
It might make them stronger, but taken to excess it can be damaging instead. There are plenty of examples.

Of course she will have to learn to deal with attention from media, fans etc... but I'd rather she do that in her own time... and not be subjected to "excessive" attention, too soon, at such an early age.

Most people ARE congratulating and admiring her, and looking forward to seeing how she progresses, aren't they?

I don't think negativity is aimed at her - rather it's at the outside influences that could affect her, and her promising future (including growth, which is unpredictable).

MiRé

Match Penalty
It might make them stronger, but taken to excess it can be damaging instead. There are plenty of examples.

Of course she will have to learn to deal with attention from media, fans etc... but I'd rather she do that in her own time... and not be subjected to "excessive" attention, too soon, at such an early age.

Most people ARE congratulating and admiring her, and looking forward to seeing how she progresses, aren't they?

I don't think negativity is aimed at her - rather it's at the outside influences that could affect her, and her promising future (including growth, which is unpredictable).

Has she been affected by the media already? Is she complaining? No. It's all in the future, even she won't even know what is ahead of her. Thing is, yes, puberty monster is scary and can sometimes destroy a skater's career. Did you even read the article? Her mom comments: “She is very young, but she has learned how to overcome difficulties on her own,” . If she has that kind of mentality at the age of 11, I'm sure she is ready to face her challenges.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, but she totally deserves it! She become National Champion, now, in much more tough field than Yuna's generation.

Well, I sure wish they'd tone it down a bit. She has to make it through puberty first which is a dangerous time for any athlete but especially for skaters. We've seen it happen to so many skaters. Look at Tuk. Her career has gone up and down and though she's past puberty now. Wasn't it said that she lost her jumps when her body changed due to puberty. It's a natural part of life and maybe they should just say that she's the best Junior to come along since Yuna and leave it at that.

These types of statements may not affect her but, in my experience, they will change how the people who know her treat her. "Don't eat that honey, remember your career" "Don't wear that, what if somebody takes your picture" Hopefully she's surrounded by good people who can shield her from some of the pressure. I'd hate to see her end up with Bulimia or any kind of eating disorder.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think a few things are going on here.

1) people want to celebrate her remarkable accomplishment. (Count me in)

2) people want to protect her from media over hype due to the potential for destructive effects it can bring to ones psyche (count me in)

This is beyond predictable. I knew the OP would give us a story here just like this the minute she won. I must confess that I thought the headline would have read "Baby Yuna is Born".

I really wish the best for this bright star and that she may develop in peace.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Has she been affected by the media already? Is she complaining? No. It's all in the future, even she won't even know what is ahead of her. Thing is, yes, puberty monster is scary and can sometimes destroy a skater's career. Did you even read the article? Her mom comments: “She is very young, but she has learned how to overcome difficulties on her own,” . If she has that kind of mentality at the age of 11, I'm sure she is ready to face her challenges.

I hope her mother is right but, I don't think she is and here's why. I had never heard of this young skater before today. Now that she has been given this label, her life will completely change. I was never famous but I was on TV quite often when I was young. As long as I stayed with my friends, I was fine. When I went to school, it was a different story. Kids can be jealous and cruel and her mom can't shield her from everything.

I sometimes wish that people would let the results speak for themselves and everything will fall into place. These statements can be made to her and her coaches and parents but they don't need to made publically. That's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Ophelia

Record Breaker
This is beyond predictable. I knew the OP would give us a story here just like this the minute she won. I must confess that I thought the headline would have read "Baby Yuna is Born".

Barring any injuries, she has the potential to be better given her spins, flexibility, extension, and all 7 triples. Whether or not she achieves that potential remains to be seen.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Barring any injuries, she has the potential to be better given her spins, flexibility, extension, and all 7 triples. Whether or not she achieves that potential remains to be seen.

Well let's hope so. She'll probably have to be better TBH. Yuna most likely competed in an easier field.

When can she compete in the JGP?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well let's hope so. She'll probably have to be better TBH. Yuna most likely competed in an easier field.

When can she compete in the JGP?

She was born in May 2004, so she would turn 13 in May 2017, so she would be junior eligible 2017-2018.

mrrice

Record Breaker

100% correct "Barring any injuries" She is about to enter the most injury prone time in a skaters life and it's important not to add emotional pressure to the equation.

Yes she's flexible, she can jump, she has beautiful spins and the best body line of any young skater we've seen in years. Ladies and Gentleman meet...................Caroline Zhang! Be careful about labeling these young skaters.

tana

Match Penalty
Let's not forget that there are a lot of other equally or more talented young phenoms in countries like Russia and Japan. Yes, this Korean girl is quite talented and has much potential, but she isn't the only one who does, is she? I heard that she will make the international debut in 2017-2018 season as a junior skater, and for sure, we'll have more wonderbabies like her debuting as well by that time. IMO, skaters like Anastasia Gubanova and Elizaveta Nugumanova are more talented and have bigger potentials than this girl from Korea. If you disagree, watch the videos of these girls and judge for yourselves.

Anastasia Gubanova when she was only 10(!) years old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wCtguV_Zjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMq3gPPUpVQ

Elizaveta Nugumanova at the age of 12 yrs old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0wCjyAh7u4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: