2016 Europeans Men Free Skate | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2016 Europeans Men Free Skate

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
HEYYY!!! You're telling the truth, we all should be happy, I should be the happiest, it was my first live competition, I was soooo excited!!! Because in my country is currently summer I was like screaming with a tub of ice-cream hating everyone in Slovakia because is so hot here. I think that good or bad is all over and we enjoyed it with every kind of performance. :giveup: :dance3: :thank:

You're so lucky! You got to see Javi's finest programs he skated and witnessed Israel winning its first medal for the singles at Euros (I'm Jewish so for everyone wondering I'm so excited about Israel, that's why. And plus I have 2 Israeli cousins and 2 of my mom's siblings have married Israelis (Well one is divorced) and another sibling of hers was engaged to an Israeli but then he broke off the engagement and married a New Jersey woman 15 1/2 years his junior and they're still married) and Deniss skated that awesome SP! Which I WISH I could see live.

Dlqp95

Rinkside
You're so lucky! You got to see Javi's finest programs he skated and witnessed Israel winning its first medal for the singles at Euros (I'm Jewish so for everyone wondering I'm so excited about Israel, that's why. And plus I have 2 Israeli cousins and 2 of my mom's siblings have married Israelis (Well one is divorced) and another sibling of hers was engaged to an Israeli but then he broke off the engagement and married a New Jersey woman 15 1/2 years his junior and they're still married) and Deniss skated that awesome SP! Which I WISH I could see live.

That's so cooool!! I have saw videos of previous performances but after the events so I was literally wailing at everyone hahahaha But you giiiirrrllll are so lucky!! You have like real connection with the two israeli (BTW, Israel has 3 spots!!! :dance3:) meanwhile I'm like alone in my country that only have only one small ice skating place and when I'm like all excited my friends are like "whateves :sarcasm:"

Hope everyone here has a good night!!! (At least for me is currently night time) And hope happiness to everyone :agree:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
If hanyu did not present us 322 and 330, fernandez would never had the third best pcs in history with his crappy gpf short, and would never add a second quad into his short, a second 3a into his free, and would never score over 200 with so many 10s and a 94pcs with today's performance.

Judges ditch the old scoring system because there is a upper limit of 330 and under that they can reward fernandez with whatever score they want. Such a shame for the sport.

This is true, unfortunately. Yuzu has opened the floodgates to what would in the past be astronomical scores. even with his total score of 302 points, Javier would still be almost 30 points behind. I suppose the judges have to try to give people a chance and "create" competition when they're competing against a living legend.

There should be a "correction" in the scores when all the top men are competing (i.e. Worlds. I will not be able to take a skater like Javier becoming a 2X world champion over a skater like Yuzu). I'm not getting my hopes up, however. If scoring were realistic, Javier's SP should've only been around 95 and his FS around 190.

Last edited:

akaiw

Spectator
"great" score
Fernandez's performance only deserves around 86 pcs and the GOE's also ridiculous not only the jumps but alos spins and steps.
The funniest thing is that he himself also thought his sp and fs were great... which really makes me laugh
It's a shame that this kind of performance got 300+, hat off to the judges

Last edited:

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Why do we need to pretend something? Right now, I don't see any of those three surpassing a clean Javier. Not just because he has a third quad, but because he is at least trying to capitalize on what he can do best, and not trying to impersonate a character he can't do yet, trash talking his peers or just skating a clean program per season. If he is where he is it's because he's being rewarded for the work he's done, and not because others aren't being rewarded in comparison.

And not that I'm putting Javi and Yuzu at the same level, but right now Yuzuru can fall on two elements in his FS and score over 200. A year ago I doubt anyone was even expecting that. I just don't see how the judges would be overscoring him that much if the entire field wasn't suffering from the same - just evidenced by a lot of the scores at just this one competition.

I think we have to stop pretending this is just about Javi, because so far I can only hear about other skater X is not getting the scores Javi is getting, or Javi doesn't deserve 8s because his programs are cheesy while skater X is the real artist, or Javi's PCS are too high because his choreography is too easy compared to this one and that one and the third one. You might think the system is failing the skaters, but the judges are not marking placements anymore, they are scoring each skater separately. I don't think the best skater in a field doesn't deserve a 10 in PCS when none of the others can do what he can at the level of skating he is presenting.

I'm not saying every score Javi received here was deserved, but let's stop with this trend of taking points off his scores by chunks just because you don't like the way he's putting his programs out there.

Are we sure now? You don't think the GPF has in a way been fixed? Really, answer me this, did you see ANY other outcome other than Hanyu winning and Javier getting silver? And it's not just him either. There are several instances of this with other skaters.

akaiw

Spectator
People (not a few javier's fans) know what kind of performances are worth watching, poor javi's program's viewers only around 30000 while yuzuru's already over 1000000

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
This is one of the quintessential problems with figure skating fans. The numbers don't mean anything in a vacuum. They are only meant to assess that skater in that segment at that specific competition. The ISU, to that end, takes care to explicitly mention that they DON'T do "world record" scores, but only record the progression of "high scores." They have to be aware that scores across comps are variable and not comparable. Your disappointment stems from not recognizing that fact and attributing an artificial significance to "barriers" like 300+ total score as well as not realizing that, in this sport, falls and stumbles are not heavily penalized and remove no more than 2-5 points from someone's score. That is why Hanyu can fall twice and still win Olympic gold but loses the world title by popping a quad salchow.

To illustrate my point about how scores are not necessarily comparable, look at the difference between how Yuna Kim was scored at 2013 Worlds in the SP AND the FS. Both performances were of extremely similar quality, but take a look at the protocol for her PCS and you'll see what I mean.

Similarly, PCS trends have changed and judges are no longer reluctant to award 9.0+. You can't demand that Javi get a 7 in interpretation when Yuzuru is now being awarded tens just for skating cleanly.

In short, scores don't exist in a vacuum and aren't comparable across competitions. Believing otherwise leads to weird rants about overinflation and "homecooking" and conspiracies, etc.

Good point. I will say however, that some competitions at THIS point, championship season, I actually do think scores are comparable. It's too early in this part of the season now, so I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
People (not a few javier's fans) know what kind of performances are worth watching, poor javi's program's viewers only around 30000 while yuzuru's already over 1000000

That's unfair tbh. :confused2: Yuzuru came from Japan that has a rich tradition of figure skating and where figure skater are regularly treated as celebrities with legions of fans. Most of japanese skaters have pretty strong viewership figure because there are many Japanese who are fans of FS and would watch them over youtube or social media. Javier came from a country with basically no tradition of the sport. The first rink he ever skated at had been converted now to a restaurant and it's not like Spain federation had any strong clout over the sport in the first place. The only reason why his number would be low is that figure skating is in itself still building up popularity in Spain. Soccer (or football) is still the number one sport there, probably followed by tennis.

This analogy would be equal to saying that a blockbuster movie MUST BE better than an indie one because more people watched it. And that's just not true....

akaiw

Spectator
That's unfair tbh. :confused2: Yuzuru came from Japan that has a rich tradition of figure skating and where figure skater are regularly treated as celebrities with legions of fans. Most of japanese skaters have pretty strong viewership figure because there are many Japanese who are fans of FS and would watch them over youtube or social media. Javier came from a country with basically no tradition of the sport. The first rink he ever skated at had been converted now to a restaurant and it's not like Spain federation had any strong clout over the sport in the first place. The only reason why his number would be low is that figure skating is in itself still building up popularity in Spain. Soccer (or football) is still the number one sport there, probably followed by tennis.

This analogy would be equal to saying that a blockbuster movie MUST BE better than an indie one because more people watched it. And that's just not true....

To be honest this is very fair, because you don't need to understand one langauge to watch figure skating, people around the world can choose the program which they want to watch lol
I don't care about what are the spanish really interested in because I also watch the programs I like no matter what country the skaters are from

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
It's a legitimate point. The vast majority of Yuzu's programs broadcast by non-Japanese stations have comments that are almost exclusively from non-Japanese, even non-Asian, viewers...

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker

lol/....

- - - Updated - - -

It's a legitimate point. The vast majority of Yuzu's programs broadcast by non-Japanese stations have comments that are almost exclusively from non-Japanese, even non-Asian, viewers...

I dont agree...

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
lol/....

- - - Updated - - -

I dont agree...

I would wager money on it. I and many of his fans have watched probably almost every broadcast possible on Youtube, Niconico, Dailymotion, Youku, Russian video sharing, etc. You can go look yourself. Plus, I mean figure skating is popular in Japan but it's not like it's the level of baseball or even football or something.

akaiw

Spectator
For example Im not from Korea or USA but I also watch yuna and SS's program, sorry but fernandez's performance is really a joke
and the 3A in the 2nd half was ur

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
For example Im not from Korea or USA but I also watch yuna and SS's program, sorry but fernandez's performance is really a joke
and the 3A in the 2nd half was ur

it's alright if you don't like it but don't say it's a joke because it's not.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Are the judges actually looking at whats on the ice anymore or are they simply pushing buttons to see how high they can make the scores go? :unsure:

What are we going to see at worlds, 350? :laugh:

da96103

Record Breaker
Well, fernandez should get -1 on that 4T, and his SS should be in the 7s, so that's 6 points less. He also should get only 7s in PE because of the mistake and because of his bad posture, that's another 4 points less. His interpretation is too cheesy and should get 8 at best, another 2 points less. So here's your 11-12 points and he'll score 188-189.

The music is easy to choreograph because fernandez always skates to this type of goofy funny music, so the same choreographer (David Wilson) is doing the same kind of choreography every season. Such an easy job!

I am sorry that you are allergic to dairy.

akaiw

Spectator
it's alright if you don't like it but don't say it's a joke because it's not.
You don't need to care about what I said right? You can just think his performance is the best, I don't care
but still I think it's joke, over