Rika Hongo | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

phoenix01

Rinkside
Rika, you are my baby. Do your Riverdance and wow the audience. I am sending you very warm positive energies and pray the crowd supports you 110%. There are many, many Irish folks in Boston. Love you Rika.

dna5019

Final Flight
I don't care if Rika lands on the podium at this point. I just want her to end the season with a clean skate that will bring the house down! Good luck, Rika and best of luck!! :cheer: :yay: :clapper:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Go, Rika, go! You can do it. I'm sure Bostonians (sic?) will love your feisty self. Reel around the sun and show those judges who is boss!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
A magical free skate by Rika! She sold the heck out of that program, and set a new personal best total.

8th at world's is a great result! She dropped a couple of places compared to last year, but it's actually quite an achievement considering the emergence of Medvedeva in seniors, the return of Asada, and Pogorilaya finally starting to reach her potential.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I was smiling like an idiot during her entire FS. Glad to see the American audience finally rallying behind her in support. The audience went crazy during her step sequence! I actually saw Rika's face light up when she started getting loud cheers and she really sold her program to the very end! The audience was on their feet and gave her a huge standing ovation. The people behind me loved her a lot, they kept saying "that was brilliant" and other complimentary things. That was one of my most happiest moments during the ladies FS for sure. Kudos to her team for giving her great program this season and none of the ballerina-style music like last season.

Plumededragon

Medalist
I was smiling like an idiot during her entire FS. Glad to see the American audience finally rallying behind her in support. The audience went crazy during her step sequence! I actually saw Rika's face light up when she started getting loud cheers and she really sold her program to the very end! The audience was on their feet and gave her a huge standing ovation. The people behind me loved her a lot, they kept saying "that was brilliant" and other complimentary things. That was one of my most happiest moments during the ladies FS for sure. Kudos to her team for giving her great program this season and none of the ballerina-style music like last season.
You and I both, lol! I'm very very happy to see Rika doing those programs best right when it was necessary! She prooved that NO, she did NOT pick too early! :agree: Thank you Rika for this amazing program and thank you Boston for having been behind her the way you did! The audience LOVED it, so did I!

And considering the level of this year skating, she achieved her 8th place in a bright way and is ALMOST at 200! I'm sure she can reach it next season. GO RIKA!!:love::hap93:

OniBan

Final Flight
personally felt that the FS at Worlds was the best Rika had done all season :) Love the expression on her face throughout - she was just totally ON! and is it just me or did they add something extra to dress? The beadings look extra snazzy. I love it :) Will be very sorry to see this program go next season - it's such an awesome program for her :)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Rika did herself proud. I was crying and my sister was crying as we watched her skate. Her performance was just so great.
Thank you Rika!

Plumededragon

Medalist
personally felt that the FS at Worlds was the best Rika had done all season :) Love the expression on her face throughout - she was just totally ON! and is it just me or did they add something extra to dress? The beadings look extra snazzy. I love it :) Will be very sorry to see this program go next season - it's such an awesome program for her :)
It really WAS the best one she has done. A pity for the mistake on the last combo, but no matter, it didn't take away the awesome factor of her FS. And yes, her dress has changed again. Not sure why she added beads, but I don't mind it looks good. I'm quite the lover of bling bling costumes anyway *coughyuzuruhanyucostumescough*:laugh:

dna5019

Final Flight
Rika's performance was one of my favorites! Fantastic job, Rika! I loved your sass and energy! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us in the coming seasons! :biggrin:

OniBan

Final Flight
It really WAS the best one she has done. A pity for the mistake on the last combo, but no matter, it didn't take away the awesome factor of her FS. And yes, her dress has changed again. Not sure why she added beads, but I don't mind it looks good. I'm quite the lover of bling bling costumes anyway *coughyuzuruhanyucostumescough*:laugh:

I personally like the old jump layout before 4CC - where the last jump is just a double axel with a lovely flowing edge coming out of it. The added double toe relies heavily on timing and it's really risky but I give her the credits for going for it anyway.

I love the new dress , extra bling and everything! The scooped back is particularly beautiful.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Rika's performance was one of my favorites! Fantastic job, Rika! I loved your sass and energy! I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for us in the coming seasons! :biggrin:

Agreed, I highly enjoyed her performance. One of my favourites of the night, possibly the 2nd after Mao's LP.
Great job, Rika and thank you!!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I love her programs this season! Her choreographers did really great job! :agree: Hope to see some more in next one, it's amazing how Rika developed artistically during one year :hap10:

ObaFan

Rinkside
I came across this 8 minute documentary of Rika: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7_Q4YDwmE0
If anybody could translate it that would be awesome

Own!! Baby Rika!!
I have a rudimentary knowledge of Japanese... :eek:: And my English isn't great too. :slink:
What I understand is that the video is about Rika's grandma. Rika moved to Nagoya but her grandma stayed in Sendai. So when the tsunami/earthquake happened her grandma was there.
At 3:03 when Rika start to get emotional she is talking about what her grandma told her by phone after the tsunami/earthquake. That grandma is ok and for her to give her best at skating. And that is all I could understand. :hslap:
I hope someone can do a better translation.

butters

Rinkside
Own!! Baby Rika!!
I have a rudimentary knowledge of Japanese... :eek:: And my English isn't great too. :slink:
What I understand is that the video is about Rika's grandma. Rika moved to Nagoya but her grandma stayed in Sendai. So when the tsunami/earthquake happened her grandma was there.
At 3:03 when Rika start to get emotional she is talking about what her grandma told her by phone after the tsunami/earthquake. That grandma is ok and for her to give her best at skating. And that is all I could understand. :hslap:
I hope someone can do a better translation.
Thank you for your response. When I first watched it, I had no idea who the grandmother was, I thought she was a distant family friend or something, and I thought she had an extreme obsession with Rika after seeing all the photos of her in her hair salon and I got weirded out and confused. :laugh:
Needless to say, I'm really bad at guessing things.

Last edited:

ObaFan

Rinkside
Thank you for your response. When I first watched it, I had no idea who the grandmother was, I thought she was a distant family friend or something, and I thought she had an extreme obsession with Rika after seeing all the photos of her in her hair salon and I got weirded out and confused. :laugh:
Needless to say, I'm really bad at guessing things.

Poor grandma looked like a creepy!:rofl2::rofl2:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Glad that Akiko will be choreographing for her again! And I'm surprised and happy at the same time that she'll have her SP done by Shae-Lynn Bourne! Wow, I did not expect that! :hap93:

Shae-Lynn is one of my favourite choreographers so it's great :)