Juniors going Senior | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Juniors going Senior

Giselle

Medalist
French Ice Dance couple Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC

Both were born in Canada and, according to their ISU Bio, they have been married since December.

Romain Le Gac was definitely born in France, has French citizenship and lived in France until he relocated to Montreal in 2014.

And no, being married to a French citizen does not automatically give you French citizenship. You need to be married for 4 years before applying for citizenship. It also reduces the residency requierement from 5 years of continuous residence in France to 3 years IIRC, but that doesn't help Lauriault since she lives in Canada, not France.

Angélique Abachkina on the other hand who was born in Russia and has Russian citizenship has studied in France, speaks fluent French and lived in France for 5+ years so she will be eligible to apply for French citizenship immediately after she turns 18 (which is unfortunatly only in January 2018).

If they get decent results there's a good chance their citizenship process will be fast-tracked, but it's not a given.
Vanessa James started skating for France at the beginning of 2008 but got her French citizenship in time to compete at the 2010 Olympics. I took her less than 2 years.
Lloyd Jones moved to France in early 2009 and got his French citizenship in October 2013 just in time to go to the 2014 Olympics.
Daria Popova teamed up with Bruno Massot in 2011 but did NOT receive French citizenship in time to go the 2014 Olympics.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Romain Le Gac was definitely born in France, has French citizenship and lived in France until he relocated to Montreal in 2014.

Ach, sorry. My eyes must have drifted to the "Home Town" line instead of the "Place Of Birth" line. :bang:

:slink:

Very interesting the comparison you did on how long it took various skaters to get French citizenship.

I know this is slipping into a discussion that would be more suitable for the ISU Congress thread, but my first thought when I heard that there was a proposal that you could be eligible to represent a country if you were resident for a year was "is that not a bit short?" Personally, I would have thought residency for 18 months or 2 years would be a better compromise.

But, as I explained in my post in that thread, residency being a requirement wouldn't work as most skaters are training outside the country they are representing.

Sorry again for my slip up.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
I feel like Daniel Samohin is going to do extremely well his first year senior. He has it all. I would bet that he makes it to GPF next season.

He's exciting to watch, but I disagree that he has everything. He does not have consistency.

andyjo24

Medalist
I'm pretty certain Nathan will move up next season to seniors.

It will be pretty exciting to see the Nathan v. Shoma v. Boyang matches! It will also be interesting to see how they catch up to Hanyu and Fernandez by the 2018 Olympics.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
He's exciting to watch, but I disagree that he has everything. He does not have consistency.

He has almost everything except health....He was pretty consistent, but was prone to get injured so often.

sses1

On the Ice
Daniel needs to work on his skating skills and his conditioning. The last 30 seconds of his long program was more like walking than skating. He has the potential though with loads of charisma on the ice.

Skye

On the Ice
Daniel needs to work on his skating skills and his conditioning. The last 30 seconds of his long program was more like walking than skating. He has the potential though with loads of charisma on the ice.

I would say the same for Dmitri (Aliev). Actually with him it's even worse - his "walking" starts right after the half mark of his long program. :( I believe Sasha (Samarin) will be going senior, but not so sure about Dmitri.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Are any of the US Junior Ladies moving up? I was thinking that maybe Vivian Le or Emily Chan would be moving up.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Are any of the US Junior Ladies moving up? I was thinking that maybe Vivian Le or Emily Chan would be moving up.

I think Vivian won't move up to senior yet since she debuted as a junior the last season. On the other hand, Emily is already 19, and the season 16-17 will be her last chance to stay as a junior.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think Kuzmich & Sinicyn are also aging out of junior dance. She was born August 10th, 1997.

Let's see. With the Italians and Meng & Meng now split, that would mean, ironically, that the top five teams from Junior Worlds could technically remain juniors. But only one--Abachkina & Thauron--of the next seven teams.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Vivian won't move up to senior yet since she debuted as a junior the last season. On the other hand, Emily is already 19, and the season 16-17 will be her last chance to stay as a junior.

What do you think Emily's chances are on the Senior Circuit? I don't really know much about her. With our promising Juniors, it seems more important than ever for skaters like Angela Wang and Mariah Bell to make a move before the are eclipsed by the up and comers. I still don't see Ashley, Gracie, Polina, or Mirai, giving up their spots without a serious fight.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What do you think Emily's chances are on the Senior Circuit? I don't really know much about her. With our promising Juniors, it seems more important than ever for skaters like Angela Wang and Mariah Bell to make a move before the are eclipsed by the up and comers. I still don't see Ashley, Gracie, Polina, or Mirai, giving up their spots without a serious fight.

Emily won't get too far internationally without a triple lutz. She did all the jumps up to flip this past season. She can have a decent debut as a senior in the U.S. without a lutz because of her high-quality skills elsewhere, but she'll definitely need it to move up to the podium in the U.S. and to be competitive nationally.