2015-16 programs: Potential not reached? | Golden Skate

2015-16 programs: Potential not reached?

mockingjeyvi

Rinkside
So i was thinking that there were way a lot of programs which had a lot of promise last season, but like did not fulfill it's potential. Volosozhar / Trankov's SP and FS, Mao Asada's FS and way a lot more. I mean, imagine if their programs were skated to perfection this season?

That's why i want to ask you guys, like what programs do you think would've received the limelight if they were skated clean, or possibly what programs do you think are so well done, that it could still pass as a program for 2016-2017?

Marta25

Medalist
Ilinykh/Zhiganshin's free dance to Frida
They struggled with it at the beginning, but at Cup of Russia it seemed like they were starting to gel with the choreo.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I've always liked Alaine Chartrand's GWTW FS. Yes, she skated it cleanly at Nationals, but it would've been greater if she had also skated it clean on the international stage, so she can get more recognition for it. The choreography is well put together and when she performs it like at Nationals, it really leaves a strong impression. :)

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Giada Russo's Red Violin LP how I wished to see it clean one day, the choreography is the masterpiece.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So i was thinking that there were way a lot of programs which had a lot of promise last season, but like did not fulfill it's potential. Volosozhar / Trankov's SP and FS, Mao Asada's FS and way a lot more. I mean, imagine if their programs were skated to perfection this season?

That's why i want to ask you guys, like what programs do you think would've received the limelight if they were skated clean

Oh, Brezina's short program. Sigh.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I've always liked Alaine Chartrand's GWTW FS. Yes, she skated it cleanly at Nationals, but it would've been greater if she had also skated it clean on the international stage, so she can get more recognition for it. The choreography is well put together and when she performs it like at Nationals, it really leaves a strong impression. :)

I liked her SP more and luckily she did skate it perfectly at COR just unfortunately couldn't repeat it later in the season. I am not a fan of Pina or music but the choreo and the way Alaine portrayed it made a long lasting impression on me. I am actually not even a fan of Alaine (sorry!) but I was won over all the same.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Both Volosozhar/Trankov programs, specially the free.
Mao programs this year

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marchei/Hotarek's programs... I hope they'll bring back that Carmen for next year; pity it only had one outing.

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Karen Chen's Les Miserables FS - I don't think she ever performed it 100% cleanly, and it had the potential to be stunning (it was, even with mistakes). I'd love to see her keep it for another year and let it develop more!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Karen Chen's Les Miserables FS - I don't think she ever performed it 100% cleanly, and it had the potential to be stunning (it was, even with mistakes). I'd love to see her keep it for another year and let it develop more!

Really? It was VERY good at her last Challenger event, Golden Spin. She didn't go for the triple triple, but that is part of the reason I think it was her cleanest skate. (Her lutz is so high, she seems to struggle with getting the height she needs for a triple on the second jump).

Karen's Golden Spin Free Skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VewDs7bbaJ8

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason's Great Gatsby SP.

Although I would *much* rather have healthy Jason on the ice than see Great Gatsby again, I will miss it.:(

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Some brilliant person (sorry I don't know who!) posted on this forum months ago that Alaine's GWTW program did not need to reference the movie, it seemed to derive meaning from and reference itself. I think this is very insightful ... I'm a fan of programs that don't necessarily interpret the music literally -- (like others have said, I'd like to see a program to Firebird that isn't interpreted literally). The music of Gone With the Wind is taken full advantage of in the program; the war music adds drama and intensity.

David Wilson deserves a ton of credit for his choreography, but also I think Alaine skated it so powerfully and intuitively at nationals. Together with the red dress, that suggested a scene from the movie but didn't depend on it for meaning, it was spectacular.

I would really like to see her keep that FS and use it again next year. Among other things, I think that, like Ashley's Moulin Rouge, it would offer plenty of depth and opportunity for her to bring some different nuances of emotion every time she skates it; and it suits her I think.

andromache

Record Breaker
Even if Mao's FS didn't reach its potential, I'm excited to see a new program from her. I prefer to see a more ~dramatic~ Mao (2014 LP) as opposed to the more ~serene~ Mao that Madame Butterfly seems to evoke.

Adelina's two programs did not get skated to their full potential this season, unfortunately; I loooooved both programs. I hope she keeps her SP, but she's overdue for a new LP, as much as I love the DRAMA of Je Suis Malade.

Yulia finally skated her SP to its potential at Russian Nats, but her LP not really. But it's a major loss, IMO, since to me her LP seemed to be fairly generic "serious music" and nothing too special. Then again, maybe I only think that because she never skated it to its potential? In any case, she needs two new programs to reflect the new and improved Yulia that'll be coming next season! No programs with negativity attached.

V/T are current presidents of the "didn't skate it to its potential" club. Dracula might never have been that special, but a sharper version of the Bollywood SP could've been iconic. If they continue to compete, I wouldn't mind seeing it again. LOVE that program.

Both of Karen Chen's programs could've been epic if perfect. Still, she needs to move on from the warhorses and do something more creative, as much as I liked her programs this season.

I can't think of any men who didn't skate their programs awesome at least once this season. Except for Jason Brown, who was injured. But we'll have the LP next season, so that's good. Ooooh, well, maybe Denis Ten. But I'm not sure his material was that inspiring, especially compared to the previous season.

mockingjeyvi

Rinkside
Even if Mao's FS didn't reach its potential, I'm excited to see a new program from her. I prefer to see a more ~dramatic~ Mao (2014 LP) as opposed to the more ~serene~ Mao that Madame Butterfly seems to evoke.

Adelina's two programs did not get skated to their full potential this season, unfortunately; I loooooved both programs. I hope she keeps her SP, but she's overdue for a new LP, as much as I love the DRAMA of Je Suis Malade.

Yulia finally skated her SP to its potential at Russian Nats, but her LP not really. But it's a major loss, IMO, since to me her LP seemed to be fairly generic "serious music" and nothing too special. Then again, maybe I only think that because she never skated it to its potential? In any case, she needs two new programs to reflect the new and improved Yulia that'll be coming next season! No programs with negativity attached.

V/T are current presidents of the "didn't skate it to its potential" club. Dracula might never have been that special, but a sharper version of the Bollywood SP could've been iconic. If they continue to compete, I wouldn't mind seeing it again. LOVE that program.

Both of Karen Chen's programs could've been epic if perfect. Still, she needs to move on from the warhorses and do something more creative, as much as I liked her programs this season.

I can't think of any men who didn't skate their programs awesome at least once this season. Except for Jason Brown, who was injured. But we'll have the LP next season, so that's good. Ooooh, well, maybe Denis Ten. But I'm not sure his material was that inspiring, especially compared to the previous season.

these are excellent insights. And i have to agree on all of them!

Last edited:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice