2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 Trophée de France Ladies SP

yuki

Final Flight
the bv of Mao's WR SP is just a point above Evgenia's SP, because it doesn't have a 3-3, in fact the TES is so close (42.81 vs 42.10).

That's assuming they both deserve similar PCS for their respective performances. They don't.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
That's assuming they both deserve similar PCS for their respective performances. They don't.

Mao's SP at Worlds was magical, but jugdges loves the consistency.

I think Mao made a bad decision to skip the season after the Olympics: it was a rough season in general so she had a juicy chance to boost the WR even more.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I would have had Gabby a little closer to Medv, by a couple of points. One judge had her in the 7's for transitions and performance. An Ina Bauer into a 3/3...please. It's a Lori Nichol program for pete's sake, which is all about performance and transitions.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Well Gracie has a long break until nationals. Gracie and Frank need to have a serious sit down. Something is broken. I don't know how much longer Frank will tolerate this.
Hard to believe Gracie has the same coach who has a 5 time world champion and an OGMedalist under his belt. Maybe she does need a coach change.
There are times when skaters have a bad skate or two, but this has been going on too long now. But she can still come back, she may blow us all away by nationals.
It is so hard to watch her have these struggles.

yuki

Final Flight
Mao's SP at Worlds was magical, but jugdges loves the consistency.

I think Mao made a bad decision to skip the season after the Olympics: it was a rough season in general so she had a juicy chance to boost the WR even more.

Maybe, but when a skater with average SS, good TR, average interpretation and below average choreo is getting scored like she's Carolina Kostner all of a sudden just because she's consistent, it's not right either.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
It's so strange seeing everyone in the forum complementing Wakaba's artistry :laugh: As a junior skater many posters (including myself) commented that her jumps were great, but her artistry needed improvement. I'm so glad that these more mature programs are allowing her to express herself better, and I'm so happy that it's being recognized as well. I can't believe that she would've scored 70+ had she not doubled the flip! :jaw:

I actually enjoy Mao's short program (and the new ponytail look!) I hope she gets lots of rest and can get back into form. I'm happy she's taking it slow compared to last season. I also think she deserved higher PCS :confused2:

I'm happy that Gabby performed so well! Her jumps are very good :agree:

Gracie has never been my favorite skater, but I hope she gets out of the current state she's in because I hate seeing her so disappointed.

Leonardo

Final Flight
the bv of Mao's WR SP is just a point above Evgenia's SP, because it doesn't have a 3-3, in fact the TES is so close (42.81 vs 42.10).

To me the real WR that sets a new standard for the ladies is Liza's SP at 2015 Worlds: base value 36.22 points even with a FSSP3.

Mao's WR SP is a point and a half above zhenya's in BV, and ALSO had much better ss/pe/ch/in/overall quality. It simply makes no sense to score zhenya's just 0.1 behind the WR. It's outrageous. She's getting carolina's level of pcs (at the olympics with great overscore for everyone), there's no way you can justify that.

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Congrats to Zhenya for a great skate! Love the color of her dress :love: (don't like the gloves tho)
Not a fan of her skating but I'm really happy for her successes. Hard work pays off ;)

Whatever is happening, I love Mao! I hope she rests well after this comp and come back stronger.
Gracie should also take a break. It's sad to see her so down. She has the goods. She just needs new strategy and maybe a new team to help her through this. I miss her huge 3lz.

Wow. Gabby Daleman is on fiyah! :) That 3T-3T tho!

So happy for So Youn, too! Love her program :luv17:

---

Zhenya is touching Caro K's PCS territory. They should add "consistency across competitions" as a program component and then Zhenya would have like straight 10s. XD

Procrastinator

On the Ice
ISU have been egging on to wipe out Yuna's record for quite a while now. When she is around, she keeps everyone's PCS in check.

Still don't understand the obsession with bringing up Yuna's 2010 WR scores. Judges in ladies' singles back then never gave PCS higher than 8.75/9.00 and there was an additional spiral sequence counted so programs from then and now aren't even equivalent! Not to mention the addition of jump bonus in the short.

Also, let me remind everyone that in vancouver, everyone thought Yuna's WR were also very inflated (especially in the long where the judges went from barely giving people FS scores in the 120s to giving someone a 150). Hindsight bias changes everything. Four years from now we'll see another star skater beating Medvedeva's new scores and everyone will be lamenting about the "great injustice that someone who doesn't even do hop scotch / jump rope moves in her SP could possibly approach Queen Evgenia's World Records!!!"

yuki

Final Flight
Also, let me remind everyone that in vancouver, everyone thought Yuna's WR were also very inflated (especially in the long where the judges went from barely giving people FS scores in the 120s to giving someone a 150). Hindsight bias changes everything.

Fair enough.

Four years from now we'll see another star skater beating Medvedeva's new scores and everyone will be lamenting about the "great injustice that someone who doesn't even do hop scotch / jump rope moves in her SP could possibly approach Queen Evgenia's World Records!!!"

:laugh:

In all seriousness, though, if the judges are pushing her scores near or over 80 (which seems likely to be happening by the end of the season), nobody's beating that without either: a. 4 triples including a 3A or b. a quad. I don't think that the content she's presenting (difficulty + execution) should warrant that kind of effort to be surpassed.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Maybe, but when a skater with average SS, good TR, average interpretation and below average choreo is getting scored like she's Carolina Kostner all of a sudden just because she's consistent, it's not right either.

Okay in my book good SS and excellent transitions, the interpretation is different you can't really compare: Evgenia tells you a story that isn't really part of the music, it's not just "i'm doing a great tango" like most of the skaters.

I think some of the comments here are too negative: she is great, and not just because she is consistent.

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Mao's WR SP is a point and a half above zhenya's in BV, and ALSO had much better ss/pe/ch/in/overall quality. It simply makes no sense to score zhenya's just 0.1 behind the WR. It's outrageous.

I wonder what THAT Nocturne skate would have scored TODAY.

rain

Record Breaker
gracie is sadly getting left behind in the proverbial dust. What has gone wrong?

It appears to be entirely psychological. To me, in both of her last competitions she's looked like she doesn't really want to be there. I think she needs to decide why she's competing.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^That's the thing that annoys me a bit for those who have the skills to beat Evgenia though. Evgenia's programs are milking the system like crazy. That latter half bonus makes her unbeatable unless the other kids start to create programs which are similar constructed. I think I saw glimpses of that in Wakaba's SP, but more other skaters need to do it. It's only the SP so they shouldn't be out of steam after a minute already. As long as everyone is skating the beaten path Evgenia can only be beaten by Evgenia and her scores will increase, increase and increase.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
So there is only one judge left: :biggrin:
Ms. So Young AN from KOR :agree:
Oh I would fire her too. she gave only 7.00 :gaah: for Wakaba transitions and 7.50 :dev2: for Wakaba skating skills.

LOL I wouldn't
So far, she is one of the more consistent judges here. She didn't prop up Soyoun (she shouldn't after all) and she gave some of the betters calls on the PCS.
Should we also fire her because she didn't Zhenya any 9s on PCS?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^That's the thing that annoys me a bit for those who have the skills to beat Evgenia though. Evgenia's programs are milking the system like crazy. That latter half bonus makes her unbeatable unless the other kids start to create programs which are similar constructed. I think I saw glimpses of that in Wakaba's SP, but more other skaters need to do it. It's only the SP so they shouldn't be out of steam after a minute already. As long as everyone is skating the beaten path Evgenia can only be beaten by Evgenia and her scores will increase, increase and increase.

Well, this is a competition and if they want to win then they need to step it up. It's hardly Evgenia's fault if others can't deliver.

yuki

Final Flight
Okay in my book good SS and excellent transitions, the interpretation is different you can't really compare: Evgenia tells you a story that isn't really part of the music, it's not just "i'm doing a great tango" like most of the skaters.

I think some of the comments here are too negative: she is great, and not just because she is consistent.

Evgenia is fine, maybe I'm coming across as harsh because I dislike both of her programs this season and find them lacking in interpretation and even subtlety compared with last season's ones. Also, her components are scored as if they were not merely good, but amazing, some of the best since the beginning of IJS really and I just don't see it (before you ask, I have seen her live, both as a junior and as a senior).

ETA: To clarify, when I referred to her components as "average", I meant average for an elite skater. I don't mean she should be getting 5s and 6s in PCS. :)

Last edited: