Patrick Chan | Page 373 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
群总 (Boss Qun) doesn't sound anything like the names he knows and Patrick was totally unaware that he was being called. I guess nobody has told him what he is known as these days in China. I don't know when it started but 群总 is being used by everybody like it's his official name. :)

Somebody needs to tell him so he doesn't miss a chance to connect with the Chinese fans again. Maybe he could... take Mandarin lessons from Kaitlyn! :laugh:

wow, this is more interesting than red carpet of the Oscars :cool14:, thank you. Patrick arrived at 17:50 min.

Isn't it? We see the skaters' off-ice personalities come out!

These days, however, it's calmness I see. And he stays happy after the skate however he has performed. This is an elevated state of being and a personal growth beyond what most people ever achieve. It makes me very very happy and confident along with him.

Exactly, the state where he can skate without worrying about the results or where he ends up is the state that will help him skate well and connect with the audience. He's learning, and I'm so happy to see his growth as a person. It's truly what they call "the hero's journey."

On the lighter side, I'm sure COC will inspire fans to create cartoons and graphics about Patrick. Here's a super cute one of the panda and the rabbit:

https://twitter.com/havemona/status/800335998710214657

And my own congratulations graphic for Patrick:

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan/status/800779100780564481

That bow tie made him look like a professor! :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think the bow tie is just nerdy the way it sits on his checked shirt.

The podium is a fashion show of sweaters, but not so fashionable. :disagree:

BTW, I am not forgiving Patrick for wearing the same "costume" for two consecutive seasons and programs. :disagree:

calica

Final Flight
Yeah,i am not happy with his costume.
I love so much his SP's costume,simple and fancy.
But i dont understand why he use the same costume,if he and his team won´t effort about this,ok; but to change the T-shirt is not difficult.

A great and special program deserve a good costume.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
guys... i am just having some thoughts here...

as you know... Patrick has always or more than just often, recycled a program each year...

Here's what I am thinking... he will recycle the Journey for the olympics as it is fitting with his "journey" and the layout will be complete with the 4S and perhaps will he add a couple transitions.... and will have a new program in the SP...

I don't think he will recycle black bird since it's already a few years old having been in EX...

what do you think???

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A very apt comment by a Chinese fan:

看完裙裙的LP。真的是冰上的艺术家。
简单的钢琴伴奏,配上流畅的滑行,让全世界都寂静了,只剩下刷的滑冰而过的声音。
现代舞设计的动作,配上裙裙到位的动作、表情,几次LP变奏停顿的几个刹那,真的让你鸡皮疙瘩。

有对比才知道顶峰的滑冰的美。
无论后续成绩如何,请群总继续为这个世界贡献更多令人窒息,惊叹的冰上艺术品。

I just watched QQ's LP. Really an artist on ice.

Accompanied by simple piano music, the fluid skating silenced the world; only the sound of the skates passing by on ice remained.

The modern dance movements, with QQ's well timed moves, expressions, and brief moments of pauses with the change of music tempo, are truly goosebumps raising.

Only with comparison do we get to know the beauty of the epitome of figure skating.

Whatever the results of furure competitions, Boss Qun, please continue to contribute to this world more of the breathtaking amazing art on ice.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
guys... i am just having some thoughts here...

as you know... Patrick has always or more than just often, recycled a program each year...

Here's what I am thinking... he will recycle the Journey for the olympics as it is fitting with his "journey" and the layout will be complete with the 4S and perhaps will he add a couple transitions.... and will have a new program in the SP...

I don't think he will recycle black bird since it's already a few years old having been in EX...

what do you think???

I am too busy gushing over his skating and bashing his costume to think about next year's programs.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
thank you for sharing!!! this is so nice to hear. Patrick had never been to CoC because if I recall, it usually was right after SC.... he has now been to every GP. won the finals and 4 of the locations... he was only once at SA and NHK... early in his career. He hasn't won those two but I would be surprised if he went to both of them next year... just to achieve that result.. it's not a very important record but it would be cool.
I was going to reply to you and say, "He's never been to NHK!" But then I looked it up, and actually he did go there, in 2006! :eek: I did not know that. So now he has been to every GP at least once. At SA he got bronze, so NHK is the only GP at which he has never won a medal. In fact, SA and NHK are the only GPs he has never won. Wow. The first time I saw him skate was 2007 SA, and I had no idea then what a fascinating and long ride he would take me on. :biggrin:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
No new LP costume...:palmf:

BUT, OH MY WORD, THAT LP WAS SIMPLY INCREDIBLE!!! SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I was hoping he would land the 4S, but everything else was DIVINE!!!!! The arm movement out of the 3Lz+2T+2Lo and the hop after the 3F are so lovely. I was excited after every jump, but especially the last two because it shows that he does have enough stamina to do the triples. :yes2: What a gem this was, even with the fall on the 4S. Not to mention he made up all that ground after the SP with an “easier” LP. I was fully prepared for a silver, but he got gold by one point, just like at 4CC last season. Congrats, Patrick. :hap10: Can’t wait to see those programs again at the GPF. I hope he can do a clean SP at the GPF and land the 4S.

As far as English-speaking TV commentary, my favorite was British Eurosport. He got so excited after every jump, like Scott Hamilton but at a lower pitch. :laugh: He commentated Patrick’s program like a fan would. He explained why Patrick is so good without talking over the skating. My favorite line was, “He makes the ice melt, doesn’t he?” On CBC, I love David’s observation, “Patrick has the ability to make this long program look too short. He’s one of those where I want more. When’s he’s done, when he skates like he can, I don’t remember the jumps; I remember exactly what the program was filled with.” And on NBC, Tanith said, “I just feel like I’m with him every step he takes, I think because I wish I could skate the way he does.” :2thumbs: to all of these comments!!! Tanith’s wish particularly makes me smile since ice dance places such an emphasis on the things Patrick does very well (so having an ice dancer pay him such a compliment is high praise indeed).

Having shared my favorite nuggets of TV commentary, I’ll now contribute to the COC party by sharing the video with no commentary at all. Sit back and enjoy this over and over again. Just Patrick, the music, the sounds of the ice, and the crowd’s cheers. :) Also, :thank: to everyone who has contributed anything to this thread recently. I love reading all of it, so keep it coming.

Patrick’s COC LP - No Commentary

emdee

Final Flight
No new LP costume...:palmf:

BUT, OH MY WORD, THAT LP WAS SIMPLY INCREDIBLE!!! SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I was hoping he would land the 4S, but everything else was DIVINE!!!!! The arm movement out of the 3Lz+2T+2Lo and the hop after the 3F are so lovely. I was excited after every jump, but especially the last two because it shows that he does have enough stamina to do the triples. :yes2: What a gem this was, even with the fall on the 4S. Not to mention he made up all that ground after the SP with an “easier” LP. I was fully prepared for a silver, but he got gold by one point, just like at 4CC last season. Congrats, Patrick. :hap10: Can’t wait to see those programs again at the GPF. I hope he can do a clean SP at the GPF and land the 4S.

As far as English-speaking TV commentary, my favorite was British Eurosport. He got so excited after every jump, like Scott Hamilton but at a lower pitch. :laugh: He commentated Patrick’s program like a fan would. He explained why Patrick is so good without talking over the skating. My favorite line was, “He makes the ice melt, doesn’t he?” On CBC, I love David’s observation, “Patrick has the ability to make this long program look too short. He’s one of those where I want more. When’s he’s done, when he skates like he can, I don’t remember the jumps; I remember exactly what the program was filled with.” And on NBC, Tanith said, “I just feel like I’m with him every step he takes, I think because I wish I could skate the way he does.” :2thumbs: to all of these comments!!! Tanith’s wish particularly makes me smile since ice dance places such an emphasis on the things Patrick does very well (so having an ice dancer pay him such a compliment is high praise indeed).

Having shared my favorite nuggets of TV commentary, I’ll now contribute to the COC party by sharing the video with no commentary at all. Sit back and enjoy this over and over again. Just Patrick, the music, the sounds of the ice, and the crowd’s cheers. :) Also, :thank: to everyone who has contributed anything to this thread recently. I love reading all of it, so keep it coming.

Was it Tanith? I thought it was Tara on NBC.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It was Tanith. Tara said His coach Marina has said “It’s like having a moving Rembrandt in my rink, and being able to watch that every single day is such a treat.”

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, Tanith was the third commentator on NBC this week instead of Terry Gannon. Johnny and Tara were both still there. I personally would not have minded if Tanith had commentated by herself. :laugh:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

You can hear Tara address Tanith right after she makes this comment so they were both commentating.

I like this comment by Tanith because it's exactly how I felt after SC, was disappointed by the jumps and lackluster performances from most of the men but the skating is really something to behold live. Incredible ice coverage, quiet and very smooth but powerful at the same time.

edit: oops, didn't see the other replies, must have bombarded you haha sorry

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I think the bow tie is just nerdy the way it sits on his checked shirt.

Which is why I called him "professor", lol. :biggrin:

But i dont understand why he use the same costume,if he and his team won´t effort about this,ok; but to change the T-shirt is not difficult.

A great and special program deserve a good costume.

I still think he's wearing that costume as a tribute to someone. (Someone he was very close with, who possibly picked it out for him...)

what do you think???

I think there's a good possibility of it. When I found out his LP would be called "A Journey", I thought why not keep it until the journey's end? Blackbird probably won't stay. But then I can't imagine "Sunday Morning" becoming an SP...

看完裙裙的LP。真的是冰上的艺术家。

Yes, I was so happy to see that yesterday, because the Chinese tagline for my site is exactly that - "Artist on Ice". Glad the Chinese fans are seeing it, too! :agree:

As far as English-speaking TV commentary, my favorite was British Eurosport.

Mine, too! Even though I was happy that the Mandarin commentary discussed Patrick's edges and skating skills, and the end of it was pretty good.

Thanks for the link! I added it to my blog post list of videos.

By the way, nice avatar you have there... Great minds think alike! ;)

Hey all, we're almost at page 500! Let's keep this celebration going!:hap10:

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Ok here goes until 500....

I have seen his program a few times today.

Cannot wait for GPF.

I understand that next year GPF will be in Tokyo.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
I got a kick out of the title of this Chinese article on Patrick: :laugh:

加拿大华裔帅哥陈伟群 北京滑冰国际赛再度称王

It says, "Chinese Canadian Handsome Guy Patrick Chan Is King Again at International Figure Skating Competition in Beijing".

帅哥 means handsome guy in Chinese, so add that to his monikers besides 男神 (a god).

But take a look at the photo from the article! Boyang and Sergei appear to be pointing at Patrick as if he were "the man", while Patrick looks on like he is the subject of a Renaissance painting! :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice

看完裙裙的LP。真的是冰上的艺术家。
简单的钢琴伴奏,配上流畅的滑行,让全世界都寂静了,只剩下刷的滑冰而过的声音。
现代舞设计的动作,配上裙裙到位的动作、表情,几次LP变奏停顿的几个刹那,真的让你鸡皮疙瘩。

有对比才知道顶峰的滑冰的美。
无论后续成绩如何,请群总继续为这个世界贡献更多令人窒息,惊叹的冰上艺术品。

Accompanied by simple piano music, the fluid skating silenced the world; only the sound of the skates passing by on ice remained.

The modern dance movements, with QQ's well timed moves, expressions, and brief moments of pauses with the change of music tempo, are truly goosebumps raising.

Only with comparison do we get to know the beauty of the epitome of figure skating.

Whatever the results of furure competitions, Boss Qun, please continue to contribute to this world more of the breathtaking amazing art on ice.

Beautiful comments from the Chinese fan, beautiful translation by VB!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I still think he's wearing that costume as a tribute to someone. (Someone he was very close with, who possibly picked it out for him...)

I think there's a good possibility of it. When I found out his LP would be called "A Journey", I thought why not keep it until the journey's end? Blackbird probably won't stay. But then I can't imagine "Sunday Morning" becoming an SP...

Hey all, we're almost at page 500! Let's keep this celebration going!:hap10:

1) Kathy??? I don't know if Patrick is that sentimental??? He appears very pragmatic to me... I still want a sort of flowing shirt for this... light colours... like gray... it would be such a special thing.. but perhaps it's not Patrick's style.

2)sunday morning is not ever going to be a SP.. there's nothing in there but Patrick's gorgeous beauty ;) and skating ... i mean there's not much substance for a program... at least that's what I think... it would be a bit of an odd empty choice for Olympics... Esqualo on the other end could have become quite the SP :)

but I think we will get a new program... I hope he is already picking the music ;) at least to live with it, even if it's not choreographed yet...

Re journey, i wouldn't be offended if he kept it for longer... however, a side of me wishes for a powerful piece for the OLympics... Patrick used to skate a lot on dramatic music and he did it very well.

3) 500???? i am at 6000 posts now... without even noticing.. most of them in this thread.... count on me to make it 500 in no time... ;)