Ryan Bradley on Kaetlyn Osmond | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ryan Bradley on Kaetlyn Osmond

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
While watching the GPF ladies with a friend who is a longtime skating fan but not uber-technical, she said: "Osmond really is the complete package, isn't she?"

That, perhaps, sums up what Ryan was getting at: Osmond might not be the absolute best at any one aspect, but when you put it all together (big jumps landed with flow, edges, spin positions, speed, musicality, expression) she really does excel in a way that no one else on the current scene does.

Skatergal101

On the Ice
can't believe what I'm reading here!
So many people hating on osmond, I guess they're all scared she will beat one of their favs?

Lets take ashley wagner for ex.... she hasn't had an amazing year. Carrots after carrots, didn't even make the GPF. Yet she is a world silver medalist? Some could argue she got silver because of home ice adv, but I sit here and say nothing because that would be irrelevant and rude.
Take medeneva - she almost breaks a WR with falls and stumbles, yet she is considered the best in the world right now. But is she? Because every time she wins everyone on this forum goes absolutely crazy saying she shouldn't have scores that outrageously high. But when its time to pick who will win a competition, obviously they chose her!
Take Gracie Gold.. some say she's going through a rough patch and will get through it - it takes time. Thats EXACTLY what osmond went through. She BROKE her leg and came back, last year was rough everyone saw that. But now she is showing us her potential, she skated a 5 triple program at the GPF where we havent seen a canadian lady since 2009/10, thats a huge accomplishment on its own. Every competition out she improves something.
Just because one doesn't land 7 triple program every competition doesn't mean they aren't the best or aren't the best they have ever been. Jumps aren't what skating is all about, there are spins, coreo, and PC's. He was probably referring to the fact that she has the WHOLE package, not just jumps, she can spin, she skates fast, her jumps actually get height and flow across the ice unlike most?!?! That girl has the biggest 3F-3T over any lady in the field - try arguing with me on that one (or many others for that matter)
She may not land 7 triples a program and she may not be as consistent as the rest of the field, but whatever she is doing this season is damn well working because I have never seen her skate like this in my life.
Im not saying she's the best in the world right now- but every other female better watch out because she IS a threat.
end rant.

Skatergal101

On the Ice
It's really funny to see how canadians will support everyone, but other countries will only support people in their own backyard. :scratch3:

Skatergal101

On the Ice
and are people actually complaining osmond has her own thread? at this point Id rather see this than a 50th thread for the americans or russians. :confused:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lets take ashley wagner for ex.... she hasn't had an amazing year. Carrots after carrots, didn't even make the GPF. Yet she is a world silver medalist? Some could argue she got silver because of home ice adv, but I sit here and say nothing because that would be irrelevant and rude.

Except that you DID say something ...

As for questioning Ashley's silver medal: She won it based on two performances (and mistakes by others) in March; it's not relevant to mention her struggles in THIS season as somehow negating that.

OniBan

Final Flight
I first saw Kaetlyn at 2013 Worlds, and thought 'This girl has lots of potential to be up there some day' and then the next thing I know she was beset with injuries. I saw her live at 4CC Taipei earlier this year, and thought in person, she definitely has the IT factor, has good performing abilities, has an ease on ice that makes me think she definitely has this in the bag. While the jumps are not quite there during that competition, and she made costly mistakes - there is no denying if she is clean, she can compete with the best out there. I personally thought she was better than Gracie (IF she has the jumps down).
Now that she seems to be in better form, not injured etc, if she is consistent I do think she has the potential to be the best. Not the best yet, but she has the potential to be.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
and are people actually complaining osmond has her own thread? at this point Id rather see this than a 50th thread for the americans or russians. :confused:

No complaints here...just that the original poster was asking for comments on a controversial quote from a former elite American skater, that no one really heard or has relavency, but in her objection likely surmised it could be fuel for a fire. Haters unite, "This Girl is going down!" She was right, the usual "mob" came out to negate Kaetlyn's accomplishments, as somehow unworthy...

Even Smokey the Bear would be annoyed don't you think..., as was I when I saw the original post.

Last edited:

Nathan13

Medalist
The way I see Kaetlyn is that she is one of the best SP skaters out there...Maybe that's what Ryan Bradley was getting at. Because I would say that this GPF is a reflection of the fact that Evgenia and Kaetlyn are the best SP skaters out of the current field (Anna is definitely up there too).

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Actually Ryan isn't the only skater to say something so positive about KO. David Pelletier did at another GP event; he felt she could be on the world podium. I was taken aback by that. I do feel that it is very interesting that the Russian ladies do not look invincible anymore and that makes it more exciting. One thing I noticed that drove me nuts was the use of arms and hands by the Russians: flailing and overdone! Foe me, Miy and KO were far more pleasing to watch. I wish the Russians would look at this as they are far too good to lose out this way.

Skatergal101

On the Ice
Except that you DID say something ...

As for questioning Ashley's silver medal: She won it based on two performances (and mistakes by others) in March; it's not relevant to mention her struggles in THIS season as somehow negating that.

People don't stop commenting about osmonds past failures so why am I somehow not allowed to comment on ashleys this season?

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn has impressed me a lot this season, and like Anna Pogorilaya, I think she has the total package. (Evgenia has close to the total package, but her lack of huge jumps makes her different from Kaetlyn and Anna.) The jumps are really gorgeous, and her SP is excellent. The LP has nothing special about it, IMO, and perhaps that's because Kaetlyn needs more focus on her TES in the LP?

Having someone new in the mix to contend for those top spots is always good for the sport; what's there to complain about?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's really funny to see how canadians will support everyone, but other countries will only support people in their own backyard. :scratch3:

And then we Canadians always get raked through the hot coals for supporting our home country skaters. :palmf:

Apparently it's perfectly fine for skating fans in other countries to support their own, but for Canadians? Don't even think about it.

Last edited:

Kittysk8s

Rinkside
Johnny Weir also had some praise for Kaetlyn:

"By far my favorite short program of the season. She skates like Edith sings. Kaetlyn Osmond🇨🇦 #GPFinal"

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/807393927493980160

And my two cents: I won't reiterate all of the positive statements on her technical abilities thus far, I am in agreement. I will add that I have seen her skate live a few times here in Canada and she is spectacular and her performance quality is impactful. Her combined qualities have her deservedly at the GPF this year and any future podium when she hits her elements. IMHO, of course.

Last edited:

amc987

On the Ice
can't believe what I'm reading here!
So many people hating on osmond, I guess they're all scared she will beat one of their favs?

Take medeneva - she almost breaks a WR with falls and stumbles, yet she is considered the best in the world right now. But is she? Because every time she wins everyone on this forum goes absolutely crazy saying she shouldn't have scores that outrageously high. But when its time to pick who will win a competition, obviously they chose her!
Take Gracie Gold.. some say she's going through a rough patch and will get through it - it takes time. Thats EXACTLY what osmond went through. She BROKE her leg and came back, last year was rough everyone saw that. But now she is showing us her potential, she skated a 5 triple program at the GPF where we havent seen a canadian lady since 2009/10, thats a huge accomplishment on its own. Every competition out she improves something.
Just because one doesn't land 7 triple program every competition doesn't mean they aren't the best or aren't the best they have ever been. Jumps aren't what skating is all about, there are spins, coreo, and PC's. He was probably referring to the fact that she has the WHOLE package, not just jumps, she can spin, she skates fast, her jumps actually get height and flow across the ice unlike most?!?! That girl has the biggest 3F-3T over any lady in the field - try arguing with me on that one (or many others for that matter)
She may not land 7 triples a program and she may not be as consistent as the rest of the field, but whatever she is doing this season is damn well working because I have never seen her skate like this in my life.
Im not saying she's the best in the world right now- but every other female better watch out because she IS a threat.
end rant.

Those skaters you mentioned have all proven themselves in other competitions in a way that Kaetlyn has not. Kaetlyn has never landed a 7-triple program in a competition of any significance. EVER. I struggle to remember the last time she landed a 6-triple program.

I agree that Kaetlyn has good jumps, spins well, and presents well. Her choreo, interpretation, and program composition leave things to be desired as does her consistency. She has potential and she's skated well this year, but let's not blow things out of proportion. No need to disparage other (more accomplished) skaters.

TGee

Record Breaker
I first saw Kaetlyn at 2013 Worlds, and thought 'This girl has lots of potential to be up there some day' and then the next thing I know she was beset with injuries.

Now that she seems to be in better form, not injured etc, if she is consistent I do think she has the potential to be the best. Not the best yet, but she has the potential to be.

INJURY ......while Kaetlyn had, as many skaters do some significant injuries that cause setbacks, the leg break was of a different order....

We are aware of so many skating related injuries, and I don't mean to in any way diminish them. But somehow they raise questions about training, conditioning and whether the skater and coach have pushed too far too fast....

Kaetlyn's injury that had her off the ice for essentially a season was the result of a hideous collision. While unlike some other collisions that happened in view of the video audience, it happened during training, not a warm up at a major event, and it was her leg that was nearly destroyed. But no less physically or psychologically traumatic. Since unlike some others, I don't think that Kaetlyn had her own injury and recovery thread on GS, perhaps a bit more info would be welcome here...

https://www.instagram.com/p/tD1jo5y1tM/?taken-by=kaetkiss&hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/tkzjHaS1iy/?taken-by=kaetkiss&hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/uihj0Vy1iS/?taken-by=kaetkiss&hl=en

Many of us in Canada have quietly wondered about how the ice was being managed that day. Reports of the event are clear that Kaetlyn had the music and was in the middle of a run through. A novice skater skated into Kaetlyn and it was Kaetlyn who was injured. While novice skaters can and do share the ice with seniors in many clubs, knowing who has the music especially a more advanced skater moving at speed, is a basic requirement to be there.

So, we've all been very impressed by not only her physical recovery but her psychological resilience.

Really do wish folks would really consider the context when they choose like "consistency" and "injury" in her case.

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight
So what you are saying is, she is all about the jumps, and she will not be successful because of her jumps? If this is your argument, it sounds like an oxymoron, don't you think?

BTW, it was Ryan Bradley's words and no one on the Forum, so don't blame anyone here for what he stated and stella luna repeated. He is entitled to his opinions, just like you.

And on your last note, we can agree as, I don't think you are making sense either....Cheers!

There are many skaters who have beautiful jumps, but cannot skate the full content. If you cannot read the words, don't make assumptions that something does not make sense.

There are some ladies who have "full-package" but cannot put it together in a full-content program at the competition either because of the nerves (like Gracie) or lack of endurance (whch seems a case for Kaetlyn). However, unlike Kaetlyn, there were several times when Gracie delivered both programs at the maximum in the recent past.

There are also tons of ladies, and men, and pairs, and ice dancers now, i.e. figure skaters, who skated marvelous short programs, on pair with what Kaetlyn did at this one GPF.

There are also plenty of commentators who overly praise their favorite skaters, and just like some fans on this forum tend to make subjective statements without any objective basis.

So what is a point for this discussion? If it is to talk discuss Kaetlyn's growth, than it is not titled that way. If it is to discuss someone's comment - then yes, the comment is senseless because is not supported by any facts. To say "maybe the best in the world today", really, would you say Kaetlyn Osmond may be seen as a better skater than Yuzuru Hanyu? :sarcasm: :laugh: But that is what "maybe the best skater in the world" implies. Than it is not just senseless, it is simply ridiculous.

If you want to agree with his statement than give the grounds how. Otherwise, the thread is a fan-thread, where the actual sober "discussion" is not possible.

Last edited:

Skatergal101

On the Ice
Those skaters you mentioned have all proven themselves in other competitions in a way that Kaetlyn has not. Kaetlyn has never landed a 7-triple program in a competition of any significance. EVER. I struggle to remember the last time she landed a 6-triple program.

I agree that Kaetlyn has good jumps, spins well, and presents well. Her choreo, interpretation, and program composition leave things to be desired as does her consistency. She has potential and she's skated well this year, but let's not blow things out of proportion. No need to disparage other (more accomplished) skaters.

Actually she landed 6 triples at finlandia trophy this yr.

Lipea

Final Flight
Johnny Weir also had some praise for Kaetlyn:

"By far my favorite short program of the season. She skates like Edith sings. Kaetlyn Osmond🇨🇦 #GPFinal"

https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/807393927493980160

And my two cents: I won't reiterate all of the positive statements on her technical abilities thus far, I am in agreement. I will add that I have seen her skate live a few times here in Canada and she is spectacular and her performance quality is impactful. Her combined qualities have her deservedly at the GPF this year and any future podium when she hits her elements. IMHO, of course.

There is no argument about that, and how good her SP is. Also, seeing live makes a huge difference, and I believe she is impressive live.

However, the topic of this thread is someone's saying she maybe the best skater in the world today, which, by obvious reasons, many people find undoubtfully wrong

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
People don't stop commenting about osmonds past failures so why am I somehow not allowed to comment on ashleys this season?

Who said you were "not allowed"? My comment was that in the very same post in which you said you weren't going to criticize Ashley, you did. It's not the criticism itself that's the issue.
ETA: ... as well as the irrelevance of last spring's worlds to yesterday's Grand Prix.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
There are many skaters who have beautiful jumps, but cannot skate the full content. If you cannot read the words, don't make assumptions that something does not make sense.

There are some ladies who have "full-package" but cannot put it together in a full-content program at the competition either because of the nerves (like Gracie) or lack of endurance (whch seems a case for Kaetlyn). However, unlike Kaetlyn, there were several times when Gracie delivered both programs at the maximum in the recent past.

There are also tons of ladies, and men, and pairs, and ice dancers now, i.e. figure skaters, who skated marvelous short programs, on pair with what Kaetlyn did at this one GPF.

There are also plenty of commentators who overly praise their favorite skaters, and just like some fans on this forum tend to make subjective statements without any objective basis.

So what is a point for this discussion? If it is to talk discuss Kaetlyn's growth, than it is not titled that way. If it is to discuss someone's comment - then yes, the comment is senseless because is not supported by any facts. To say "maybe the best in the world today", really, would you say Kaetlyn Osmond may be seen as a better skater than Yuzuru Hanyu? :sarcasm: :laugh: But that is what "maybe the best skater in the world" implies. Than it is not just senseless, it is simply ridiculous.

If you want to agree with his statement than give the grounds how. Otherwise, the thread is a fan-thread, where the actual sober "discussion" is not possible.

I have provided my reasons and since you now have a clearer head, ...perhaps you should re-read my previous post. Also, Ryan was commenting on "the best" in the warm up to the Ladies SP at the Grand Prix. To infer this as anything else other than the competition at hand, is naïve. BTW, have you even watched the clip that you so passionately have an opinion on? Perhaps you should before commenting further as you could end up looking, ...foolish. :palmf:

Last edited: