2017 Jr Worlds Ladies FS | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Ladies FS

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Damn...I missed the whole ladies FS, so only saw the final result. The final is somewhat expected given the SP.

I hope Polina overcomes the hardship and comes back strong next season because she is so talented.

frida80

Record Breaker
OMG! They just stopped to work for me too :ddevil:
Fuji TV always block videos for copyright. And block all the videos :curse:
Like what happened for 4CCs.

This time I downloaded them immediately because I knew they would do this.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
OMG! They just stopped to work for me too :ddevil:
Fuji TV always block videos for copyright. And block all the videos :curse:
Like what happened for 4CCs.

What a complete joke and utter nonsense this Fuji TV is...

But because of this mess, I just discovered really nice fancams of Alina, Marin and Eunsoo uploaded by a Korean fan: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJFJGIUER_gHV4kyleyvKqg

Check them out.

mcq

Record Breaker
Why is fujitv blocking things that are not even theirs? Did they buy the copyright for JWC for the entire world? I don't live in Japan and it is not like I can watch fuji :palmf: For 4CC they blocked NBC ESP and Russian TV broadcast too. Like why??? They unblocked it for like 2 weeks after though, but still...

Worlds will be a pain to look for videos :dbana:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If they judge both girls objectively, Alina wins by a slim margin. Her PCS 4-5 points lower than Marin and TES 5-6 points higher.
Alina already got the TES down. If she gets the right programs, and work on her posture, she's unbeatable for me. I saw Don Quixote ballet twice in the last 4 years, and when I watch this girl, I'm annoyed. If you toss her into the ballet, she'd look like Gollum with her posture. She just doesn't finish her move. Why oh why.
Marin wins in PCS, but not to the margin she deserves. What a shame about judging. I don't know how she can improve on TES to compete with Alina unless she has a quad or a 3A. I think she's perfect as is. Too bad there's a really talented girl with strong political backing competing against her.

acronycal0730

Rinkside
Ok, just back from the arena and found all the youtube links are blocked......:devil: But at least I can still write some opinions here.

First, So lucky that I can see this event live, what a wonderful night!

Alina Zagitova: A deserved win. I'm really amazed by her after seeing her live. She is powerful, determined and incredibly strong, I admire her mental strength (deliver perfect skate after clean Marin), her ability of doing all the most difficult jumps so easily(that 3Lz3Lo!!), and I also enjoy her performance a lot! The red dress from Medvedeva suits the music perfectly, makes her like a real ballerina on ice. She jumps right on the music note, the rippon jumps are spectacular (while people criticizing her backloading strategy, I have to say, her FS is very excited if you see it live :laugh:)!. Audience love her and are all clapping with music in the second half of the program. The atmosphere is so good. She receives standing ovation, and with the sky high TES, (75+ without chsq!!) She is no doubt the winner tonight.

Marin Honda: What can I say? Fantastic performance, her skating is just like a dream. While Alina has the unbeatable TES, Marin's flow, posture and presentation are the best. She is so fluid on ice, you can feel the emotion from her every movement and facial expression, and she skates clean! Wow! Marin's "Juliet" really touched your heart and make you tearful. After she skated, people are all crazy and gives the biggest standing ovation tonight. What a pleasure that we can see two perfect clean skates from her, Bravo, Marin!

Kaori Sakamoto:I didn't pay much attention to Kaori before, maybe because she tended to make some mistakes in FP in the past. But she is really on in this competition. Two clean perfect skates, with very good speed and big jumps. I'm impressed by her after seeing her live, and very happy for her Bronze medal!

Eun Soo Lim: Yeah, She is amazing, a whole-package skater with big potential in the future. Her short program was spectacular, you can see Yuna Kim in her big 3Lz3T, her speed and posture :). The mistake in FP didn't affect the overall performance at all. Being a fan here and will see how she do next season, It is time to see a skater outside Japan/Russia on JGPF Ladies event!

Yuna Shiraiwa: I really like Yuna. Maybe her skating is not that "mature" yet, she is lovely and wonderful to watch. (always feel happy seeing her performance and sunshine smile.) Except one fall in FP, she did quite well here. I think she is a bit underscored in both programs. I thought she could break 180!

Polina Tsurskaya: Polina is the heartbreaker in this competition:sad4: In warm-up before short program, she did some big and beautiful 3Lz3T, but sadly didn't deliver it in competition, and Shin Amano slayed her score..., in FP I was very nervous for her, but at least she didn't fall, and overall, the performance is nice to watch. Even she is not in good shape, she is very beautiful live, with the long limbs and beautiful posture and arms. In warm-up you can't take your eyes off her, A friend of me (who didn't know figure skating very much) only remember her after group 3. Anyway, I think she has the ability (She showed it in RCF two weeks ago!) Hope that she will overcome all the difficulties after injuries, growing...etc. Keep going Polina, I will always support you!

Stanislava Konstantinova: I don't want to be bad, but they should have sent Gubanova here...(sigh)...After mistakes happened she seems lost all the confidence...this is even worse than Polina not in good shape......

honorable mentions: some not very well-known skaters, but I enjoy their performance: Xiangning Li(I like her Princess Mononoke), Amy Lin ,and...Holly Harris from Australia (she is elegant and lovey on ice!)

Last edited:

breadstal

Record Breaker
If they judge both girls objectively, Alina wins by a slim margin. Her PCS 4-5 points lower than Marin and TES 5-6 points higher.
Alina already got the TES down. If she gets the right programs, and work on her posture, she's unbeatable for me. I saw Don Quixote ballet twice in the last 4 years, and when I watch this girl, I'm annoyed. If you toss her into the ballet, she'd look like Gollum with her posture. She just doesn't finish her move. Why oh why.
Marin wins in PCS, but not to the margin she deserves. What a shame about judging. I don't know how she can improve on TES to compete with Alina unless she has a quad or a 3A. I think she's perfect as is. Too bad there's a really talented girl with strong political backing competing against her.

Marin still has a lot to improve, she is already very all-rounded skater with quality but she can improve everything. Spins, jumps, stamina, mental strength. She's still so young and comparing to Alina who is solid rock in everything technical, Marin for sure still has work to do. This competition was good beginning with getting all levels. She will have much better PCS in seniors. I'm not sure about her technical arsenal, I saw her doing 3Lz-3Lo twice and it was nice but who knows if she will work on it or other combos or 3A. She has long time to prepare for her senior debut and I'm so excited for her :love:

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
I disagree with the assertion frequently made that Marin's performance is more compelling and moving and that Alina mainly won because of playing the points game smart. They are both very good skaters who handle pressure well and I do think Marin has a little better skating skills with a little more flow and rink coverage,but again I think some of this is due to Alina's more intricate transitions with more rapid change of directions. But overall, I preferred Alina's performance. Alina has better height and distance on her jumps with more rotation to my eyes and I think her jumps are also more beautiful with the rippon variation and rapid flair of the arms on exit. Her triple lutz / triple loop is really impressive. Also, I find her spins more impressive and more beautiful, though Marin's are good. I think Alina's are more centered, with greater speed and I also prefer her positions. Alina also does a nice cross grab Biellmann spiral in the long that she holds long enough to be aesthetically pleasing in the midst of all her quick changes of positions. And though Alina has been criticized for being bent over a lot, which she is for an instant on her jump landings, I find that she does have hints of a balletic flair through out her Don Quioxte performance especially in her arms movements, which I think combine a little grace and a little drama to good effect. I do think Marin's presentation is aesthetically pleasing overall, but she bends her legs quite a bit on landing her jumps which I find less appealing and I find Aina's artistry more uncoventional but also more interesting with greater complexity. Alina also displays quick reflexes when she changes positions which I like.

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Zagitova for me just skated right though the character of the music. Marin OTOH, was amazing.

Alina, seems like a sweet enough girl though, so I won't haggle, I just prefer Marin's style.

I know, right?! I wasn't really sure what music she was skating to at all. Her jumps though, were amazing. And she makes Rippons/Tanos look nice. I'm looking at you, Zhenya :biggrin:

I'm so happy for Marin. I think her jumps can be better...and her slight mule kick = :slink: but she was the best one to watch by far. The top 3 all brought it, which was nice considering the rest of the competition was a bit underwhelming...

I was hoping she would win if clean, but Alina deserved it on TES alone. There was no way she would've been like 7 points behind on PCS.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree with most of what you said.

Marin's SP was better performed than her LP. She actually has the same face throughout her LP, and it looks she was more concentrated on jumps. Marin's spins are not as centered (quite noticeable difference from other top junior ladies), and her jumps don't have tight air position. She just looks very "relaxed" in all of her elements, similar to Shoma Uno's style.

Alina has a very challenging program, and the choreography has as many ballet movements as it can. It needs to be very precise throughout. I doubt Marin would skate the same type of program better. Alina's has a very ballerina type of figure. Her problem is that she tends to have a hunched hip. It might have something to do with the fact her choreography has lots of highs and lows of upper body movement, which is itself very difficult. I remember watching a video of Marin working with Jeff Butt who pointed out she needs to go lower with her upper body, and when she followed, she fell (not saying she cannot do it but it is hard).

Same can be said about Stanislava Konstantinova's LP. She has a very unique and challenging program, and tends to have a hunched hip. Marin's program is very generic, and used the overused R&J. Her LP last year was a much better choice. She has a good glide on ice, but her ss is nowhere close to Kostner or Yuna, or Mao. She has one more year of experience than Alina, so better ss is to be expected. Don't forget Alina has her own underdog story. 9th or 11th in last year's Russian Junior Nationals, and now GPF and Junior Worlds champion. What an accomplishment. I'd say as long as she gets the points from judges, don't make change just because folks here are not happy with her.

I disagree with the assertion frequently made that Marin's performance is more compelling and moving and that Alina mainly won because of playing the points game smart. They are both very good skaters who handle pressure well and I do think Marin has a little better skating skills with a little more flow and rink coverage,but again I think some of this is due to Alina's more intricate transitions with more rapid change of directions. But overall, I preferred Alina's performance. Alina has better height and distance on her jumps with more rotation to my eyes and I think her jumps are also more beautiful with the rippon variation and rapid flair of the arms on exit. Her triple lutz / triple loop is really impressive. Also, I find her spins more impressive and more beautiful, though Marin's are good. I think Alina's are more centered, with greater speed and I also prefer her positions. Alina also does a nice cross grab Biellmann spiral in the long that she holds long enough to be aesthetically pleasing in the midst of all her quick changes of positions. And though Alina has been criticized for being bent over a lot, which she is for an instant on her jump landings, I find that she does have hints of a balletic flair through out her Don Quioxte performance especially in her arms movements, which I think combine a little grace and a little drama to good effect. I do think Marin's presentation is aesthetically pleasing overall, but she bends her legs quite a bit on landing her jumps which I find less appealing and I find Aina's artistry more uncoventional but also more interesting with greater complexity. Alina also displays quick reflexes when she changes positions which I like.

rosy14

Final Flight
I :love: KAORI'S JUMPS AND SPEED

It's sad though. She skated so well in both programs but it'll probably only be enough for bronze.

Oh, last year it was Polina ad Evgenia and Radionova. Now it's Alina and Evgenia and...I say: wait until the season starts, wait until Russian Nationals and Euros, and then we can start predicting.

Sackie

Medalist
Just noticed that the top 7 after the short finished in the same order in the long and thus overall!

rosy14

Final Flight
Scary for all Russian skaters. The pressure on them only increases. It's ridiculous, I think we've already seen today what it does to some of them. But Russia will have the best competitors, not necessarily the best/most talented skaters. But that's how you win medals. Pogorilaya will have to start to think about backloading. And who cares wether Alina can still jump at 16? No one, she can win her Olympic medal before that.

Yeah, but then she can more or less disappear from competions, while others keep competing, winning and above all conquering for ever audiences and experts as well.

begin

Medalist
Aha, so here you are for revisiting the rules. Curious, curious.
So instead of say, dinging the mark for CO, if it hasn't been done well, you want to remove the bonus for something that just a few people have been doing ... no matter how many times it is repeated, it looks like it has to be repeated again. If it were that easy, many more skaters would be doing it. This is old talk, for two seasons now at least, yet somehow it just does not seem to be spreading. And it's not spreading because it is not easy to do, far from it.

In essence it boils down to - my fave can't do it, remove it.

Mathman explained very well that the rules should be revisited because it's bad for programs. Rules have been changed all the time in response to 'bad' patterns.

I also find it remarkable that you think everyone else's 'faves' can't backload a program. It's amazing Eteri students have learned to do so at such a young age but this isn't like learning a triple axel. I have no doubt that at the rate we're going, every top ladies skater will put all their jumps in the 2nd half and many will be successful in doing so. They simply won't have any other choice (which is the 'bad' part in all of this).

Last edited:

qwerty1195

On the Ice
Is Alina turning Senior next season? I'm doubting it because I think Eteri would want to focus on Evgenia during the Olympic season and most of her juniors stay for 2 seasons.