2017 Jr Worlds Ladies FS | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Ladies FS

narcissa

Record Breaker
Things that make me sick to hear.

Eteri also has an "ideal body type" for her skaters, and she said Polina was growing too big/tall for them, but they decided to keep her anyway.

I wonder if that would still be true after this week :slink:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I actually enjoyed Alina's performance. Her rippons look nice and adds some variation to the usual fly swatter....plus her Lz/F looks really good. Even if I don't like the X-backloading or the half OTBT....:drama:

Overall, everyone on the podium brought something different that we could all admire. :)

Yeah, you have spoken my mind, shiroKJ!

To say the least, Zagitova saved the Russian team at this Junior event. Very good competitions among these top 3 girls!!!

Last edited:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Finally caught up with the ladies FS. My quick thoughts:

Alina: She's a technical beast, that's for sure. I'm not a fan of the obvious point-whoring but she does it and does it well. Hate the game, not the player... To her credit she makes tano & rippon jumps look nice and not distracting. I did like how several of her jumps are landed on accents of the music but the end of the program is just from one jump to the other. It's impressive and she did her job here...but the skating purist in me wants to throw rocks at her for winning over Marin.:gaah:

Marin: Man on man, she was breathtaking. IMO Marin was so far beyond anyone else in the competition when it came to polish, presentation, emotion, finesse, elegance, grace and artistry. There was no comparison. I didn't expect her to put up a fight for her title but she came out swinging and didn't go down without a fight. She was exquisite. I'm so excited to see her continue to grow. I hope she can lock down this kind of consistency moving forward. She'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Kaori: Definitely a surprise to see her on the podium but I'm happy to see her deliver her best as well and end up on the podium. Go Japan!

Eunsoo: SO happy to see her deliver so well. I've had my eye on her all season and I was hoping to see her have a good outing here. I expected her to get top 6 if she skated well but thanks to two-thirds of the Russian team imploding, she has comes in 4th. Really excited to see her develop too. Of all of the skaters who have come out of Korea Eunsoo reminds me of Yuna the most. She has a spark about her when she performs. I love her jumps, I love her personality...very happy to see her place so well.

Polina: I'm guessing she's still not done recovering from whatever injury she had. I really expected her to fight for gold here. Definitely disappointing.

Stanislava: Not a good outing for her either.

Overall it was a very strong competition. The top 6 put on a really great show.

begin

Medalist
Eteri also has an "ideal body type" for her skaters, and she said Polina was growing too big/tall for them, but they decided to keep her anyway.

I wonder if that would still be true after this week :slink:

That's just....awful.

Leonardo

Final Flight
if they judge both girls objectively, alina wins by a slim margin. Her pcs 4-5 points lower than marin and tes 5-6 points higher.
Alina already got the tes down. If she gets the right programs, and work on her posture, she's unbeatable for me. I saw don quixote ballet twice in the last 4 years, and when i watch this girl, i'm annoyed. If you toss her into the ballet, she'd look like gollum with her posture. She just doesn't finish her move. Why oh why.
Marin wins in pcs, but not to the margin she deserves. What a shame about judging. I don't know how she can improve on tes to compete with alina unless she has a quad or a 3a. I think she's perfect as is. Too bad there's a really talented girl with strong political backing competing against her.

ita.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Exclusively on powder diet? Source please.
I remember this post in her fan thread. So it was exclusively when necessary. Eteri and her mother wouldn't have talked about it if it wasn't a big thing imo. And of course they had to stop this at some point after the Olympics, you can't postpone growth forever without damage.
I understand why they did it, I'm sure Yulia really wanted it. What I didn't like is that Yulia was so heavily criticized when she finally gained weight. That she had no self-control and stuff, that was disgusting.

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
Is Alina turning Senior next season? I'm doubting it because I think Eteri would want to focus on Evgenia during the Olympic season and most of her juniors stay for 2 seasons.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK3L7VN0K3LUTQP03C.html

Alina said she didn't know if she would compete in Senior field next season. She also said, "It was hard to skate after Marin. I knew I couldn't make any mistake. I was nervous but I'm glad that I could get the title".

emzdeluxe

On the Ice
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASK3L7VN0K3LUTQP03C.html

Alina said she didn't know if she would compete in Senior field next season. She also said, "It was hard to skate after Marin. I knew I couldn't make any mistake. I was nervous but I'm glad that I could get the title".

Kudos to her she didnt look nervous at all and I was at the edge of my seat shouting to her "Come on Alina"..there was really pressure on her part after Marin skated because the japanese fans went wild after it and she's the only russian left that has a chance to medal..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
We're talking about potential rule changes that would take another 2 years to implement so obviously this a conversation about the future of ladies' skating. Figure skating trends never happen over one or two seasons.

Marin hasn't been much of a SP skater but I'm not betting against her or any of these girls.

It's 'betting against them' to say I don't think they could all pull off such a backloaded program? Puh, then how dare you bet against them by thinking not all of these ladies will have multiple quads next season. I'd rather say it's normal to go by what a skater is actually doing, but I guess YMMV.

And if FS trends don't happen in 1-2 seasons, why are you already crying about the ladies not having any other choice than to backload in the future? It's nothing but speculation. And again, I would like to adjust the 2nd half rule to get more incentive for more balanced programs in general too, but I find the outcry over how 'everyone will only backload' in the near future to be overdramatic and unrealistic.

Su50

Rinkside
SPFS
1Alina ZAGITOVARUS208.6011video
2Marin HONDAJPN201.6122video
3Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN195.5433video
4Eunsoo LIM KOR180.8144video
5Yuna SHIRAIWAJPN174.3855video
6Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA RUS162.8466video
7Bradie TENNELL USA161.3677video
8Lea Johanna DASTICHGER157.11138video
9Yi Christy LEUNGHKG156.26810video
10Polina TSURSKAYA RUS155.91119video
11Xiangning LI CHN151.031211video
12Starr ANDREWS USA149.05912video
13Anita OSTLUND SWE144.571513video
14Viveca LINDFORSFIN143.531015video
15Kristen SPOURS GBR139.341614video
16Michaela-Lucie HANZLIKOVA CZE134.482116video
17Sarah TAMURA CAN130.401918video
18Elisabetta LECCARDIITA129.331421video
19Andrea MONTESINOS CANTUMEX128.552417video
20So Hyun ANKOR126.821720video
21Amy LINTPE125.911822video
22Guzide Irmak BAYIRTUR123.232219video
23Holly HARRIS AUS123.112024video
24Valentina MATOS ESP120.412323video
JWC2017 Alina ZAGITOVA interview
JWC2017 LADIES Victory ceremony

Спасибо

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Exactly my thoughts when I watched the medal ceremony :laugh:

I was actually watching the 2010 Jr Worlds medal ceremony (Tumblr got me there for some reason) and apparently tiny, tiny medals with really thick ribbons has been a staple of Junior Worlds for ages.

It's 'betting against them' to say I don't think they could all pull off such a backloaded program?...

And if FS trends don't happen in 1-2 seasons, why are you already crying about the ladies not having any other choice than to backload in the future? It's nothing but speculation. And again, I would like to adjust the 2nd half rule to get more incentive for more balanced programs in general too, but I find the outcry over how 'everyone will only backload' in the near future to be overdramatic and unrealistic.

I don't think that it is overdramatic and unrealistic to try to project the direction that the sport will take in the near future. Now that a few skaters have led the way, the most prominent being Evgenia Medvedeva, everyone will try to emulate the most successful. A backloaded program, though taxing in terms of stamina, is not beyond the reach of lots of skaters, given the proper motivation.

In the LP Zagitova scored an extra 4.6 points in second half bonuses. To me, it is not outrageous to imagine that a slew of youngsters and their coaches will say, "Hey, we woudn't mind going for an extra 4.6 points," and sacrificing other aspects of the program to get it. If we think that this is a danger to the sport, the time to head if off is now, not to wait until more skaters actually can pull the trick off.

To me, it's this whole points thing that is causing these discussions. At first, you could get just as many points for doing a jump early rather than late, and it was easier. So everyone front-loaded their programs.

Then they gave extra points for jumping in the second half. So now (or soon) all the top guns will be backloading their programs as much as they are able.

If the ISU passed a rule that said, say, only 3 backloaded jumps per program will receive the bonus, then every skater will go 4 and 3. It's just like, if you give a bonus for a Tano, you will see a surge of Tanos. If you give a double bonus for a two-arm Tano, then you will see a burst of two-arm Tanos.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It is interesting to observe from these vantage points.

EunSoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRPQm-189Hc

Marin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVMn_kvm6E

Alina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVMn_kvm6E

Play clips side by side. You can see the imbalance of Alina's choreographic program more fully.

Alina's program construct consist of time wasting, slow spins, poses from same regions, and rarely cover the rink was visibly saving energy for the 2nd half, while others good use of the full length and width from the get go. Where they were able to spread the locations where they are to deliver their elements better. Also after half way point, Alina's 'jump sequences' one after another are all from the same counter direction, covering half of the rink, it hardly qualifies multi-directional skating and good coverage. Surprisingly, I found Eunsoon has the best coverage with many times skated closer to the boards, and looks to have covered the longest distance in terms of actual skating, and she placed elements at a different location of the rink with good balance. Poorest coverage had been from Alina.

It is sad to see when people follows the general guidelines for good choreography and balanced content don't get rewarded.

Had they all know known these are unimportant then everyone could have trained for backloading their jumps instead of striving for good balanced choreography with multi-directional skating, coverage, interpretation, musicality, and attention to detail etc.. All these efforts for nothing. I must admit, this kind of happenings remind me or Yuna Kim vs Miki Ando at WC 2011 all over again...Arrghh...!!

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
A backloaded program, though taxing in terms of stamina, is not beyond the reach of lots of skaters, given the proper motivation.

Why are you so sure about that?

In the LP Zagitova scored an extra 4.6 points in second half bonuses.

Compared to what? Having all the jumps in the first half? But nobody does that. The bonus she gets from it compared to others is smaller than that.

Or compared to Marin? Alina has a BV that is 3.63 higher than Marins. If Marin would adopt the backloading everything strategy, she'd gain 1.56 points more (putting 3F3T and 3Lz in the 2nd half). But that isn't even half of their BV difference. And more importantly, if Marin just loses a bit of quality on her jumps because of the backloading and loses like a GOE point on each, she loses 1.4 points - and the backloading got her nothing. It's not just about doing jumps in the 2nd half, it's about getting them around and with quality.
The main difference in BV between Alina and Marin is in which jumps they are repeating - where Marin does a 2nd 3T, Alina repeats the 3Lz. That is a 1.7 points difference - it's bigger than the additional difference more backloading would cause. So wouldn't skaters maybe want to work on repeating harder jumps or learning the 3-3Lo combos then? I'd say the message to Marin would be at least as much: learn your 3Lz3Lo.

Maybe I haven't made it clear enough, but it's 2 points I'm arguing about: 1.) the original post made backloading sound to easy IMO and 2.) a lot of people overestimate how many points backloading actually gives those skaters in my perception (which, both combined, results for me in thinking we won't see skaters all adopt that strategy). It's really not all that much. It's just one little part in why Evgenia & Alina are so successful, which also includes a.) checking the GOE boxes, b.) checking the PCS boxes, and most importantly c.) being consistent. If skaters only backload more without those other 3 points, I don't think it would give them much.

And I still agree that I would like to see changes to the 2nd half rule that actually favors balanced programs more. I just don't think the 'everybody will do the evil backloading soon' narrative is justified.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Both Marin and Alina had gorgeous skating. I love Alina's Don Quixote. I have to constantly remember is only 14 years old. There are no accomplished ballerinas at this age. I think that her balletic movements are quite good, and Russia is well known to use ballet training for figure skating and gymnastics. And Russian ballet is among the best in the world.
Marin was also mesmerizing. Whit two perfect programs, it's difficult to chose a winner. I think that Alina looked a little better...maybe she is a taller skater, I don't know. Backloading is a strategy to get more points. So are tano jumps. I don't understand skaters that do tano jumps and fall. But this works for both Alina and Evgenya. I even think Alina looks better when she does jumps with both arms above.

Why are you so sure about that?

I am not 100% sure. But even if only a few do it (successfully backload all their jumps) it is still worth examining if this is really what we want the rules to be encouraging.

Compared to what?

Compared to doing away with the second half bonus rule altogether. Under the current rules, skaters who do not backload as much as possible are leaving points on the table.

Or compared to Marin?
Marin also backloads, though not quite so severely. Do we want rules in place that will all but guarantee this?

Maybe I haven't made it clear enough, but it's 2 points I'm arguing about: 1.) the original post made backloading sound to easy IMO and 2.) a lot of people overestimate how many points backloading actually gives those skaters in my perception (which, both combined, results for me in thinking we won't see skaters all adopt that strategy). It's really not all that much. It's just one little part in why Evgenia & Alina are so successful, which also includes a.) checking the GOE boxes, b.) checking the PCS boxes, and most importantly c.) being consistent. If skaters only backload more without those other 3 points, I don't think it would give them much.

For (a), I guess I do think that is is relatively easy to move at least a couple of extra jumps form the first half to the back half. Nothing wrong with this, except that it would be better to place the jumps where they make the most sense in terms of the musical structure and choreographic vision, rather than placing them willi-nilli where they can get an extra tenth of a point.

For (b), yes the point-gain potential is small compared to other considerations.

Still, people -- not just figure skaters -- will do anything for points. ;)

And I still agree that I would like to see changes to the 2nd half rule that actually favors balanced programs more. I just don't think the 'everybody will do the evil backloading soon' narrative is justified.

I don't know about evil, but I think that the day of reckoning has already come. At this very competition, in the top thirteen all but one (Sakamoto) did the majority of their jumps in the second half. I do not see anything wrong with asking if this is what we want to build into the rules.