2017 World Ladies FS | Page 106 | Golden Skate

2017 World Ladies FS

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
This was an emotionally draining competition, and to be honest, I want to erase 85% of it from my head. :( My heart broke for so many skaters.

I'm probably not going to re-watch videos from this event.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was an emotionally draining competition, and to be honest, I want to erase 85% of it from my head. :( My heart broke for so many skaters.

Why in the world would you spend time re-watching any of that? Youtube has more truly wonderful performances than you can watch in a year.

Not quibbling with results, mind you, and congrats to the medalists, but there was just nothing there that I found to be particularly beautiful or inspiring.

In fact, so far at this World Championships, I can see myself re-watching Javi's short, which was a masterpiece, both Sui/Han performances, and Virtue/Mior and Hubbel/Donohue's short dance... although that last one is because I've been a fan for a while and I'm so happy that they've had a breakthrough moment.

Nothing else is worth a second look.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Why is everyone promoting Tsurskara. Didn't she do a Pogo at Junior Worlds?

No. Not even close. Not a single fall or tear shed. She popped some jumps, but she's been perpetually injured.

I support, or "promote" as you would say, Polina because she is WONDERFUL. SO majestic and regal. Lines for days. Huge jumps from the correct take-off edges. A good musicality and a great ability to emote. If she can stay healthy and consistent, I like her chances to make the Olympic team more than Pogorilaya or Sotskova.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8Rd2CSWsAA8nLj.jpg

based on this it was really weird that some judge have such a super high and some of them a super low. i think this proven that figure skating judge is not so good, since it is WAY too subjective. some of the judges give ridiculous high score for such bad performances (74 PCS for kostner?!, and other pcs are so inflated) if the judging is not so subjective you wouldnt see 10 point different like here, in protocols we see judges giving 6 in PCS while other judges giving 8..

Very interesting chart....and I agree with you....so throwing out the nationality favoritism factor for a second, I have no idea how to make PCS judging more objective...just look at the different opinions here on who folks like to watch and what they like...
I have no answers but will just throw this out....
A dog show confirmation judge who specializes in say Corgis could well pick out the best Corgi that meets breed standard at a show where the best dogs in the country meet....
An Uber judge MIGHT ( I dont think so but I am trying to be open) be able to judge the best dogs from the herding group and say THIS Corgi meets its breed standard better than all the other herding dogs meet THEIR breed standard.
But anyone who thinks that there is a judge...one judge....that can say THIS corgi meets its breed standard better than all the other groups' winners meet THEIR breed standard probably believes in world peace and the tooth fairy.

At least in OUR case, we have enough judges to give a hope of fairness, on the average, to competitions. Despite someone giving a 74 to Kostner...

gioccia

On the Ice
Ashley - I love her programs and her skating but her URs do her a lot of harm, unfortunately.
Chen - fussing on the ice and jumps...ridiculous costumes, boring programs... so sorry that there was noone more decent in the American team to have claimed that title... fortunately,USA has 3 spots for the Olys. I'd love to see Ashley and Gracie in the mix for the podium.
Sotskova - protege form the Russian Federation and it makes me hate her... no matter what she does on the ice. But honestly... she's the second Chen but with lots of URs... with one remark that Russia DID have other skaters who deserved to go to Euros way much more... Sad. I fear we will HAVE to see at the Olys...which is ridiculous with many strong youngsters elligible to compete.
Anna - this meltdown was in the air. I feel so sorry for this girl. She's been trying so hard but her Fed is not willing to give her any support. It's like how much more do I have to do for you to notice me and give me what I deserve. She has brilliant programs this season, but the Nats broke her... putting floppy Sotskove above a clean World Bronze medallist. I don't see her in the mix next season... this is it... I guess... I wish I were wrong..
3 happy moments.
OMG! I love Gabby. What a height she has in her jumps, how fast and powerful she is when she lands them... I am heartbroken that she's 3d. She deserved to have had the silver medal. She's Anna of the last year where she was robbed... don't get me wrong Ashley was sensational but it was in Boston and the judges turned a blind eye on a lot of things. Anyway... She's certainly a medal contender next season!
Kaetlyn - great SP. One of the best. She's a package for sure and she's certainly a medal contender next year. I love everything about her... But she did make 2 mistakes... maybe I'm missing sth, I haven't seen the protocols yet. Anyway, definitely deserved a medal this year!Great job.
Medvedeva - she's one of a kind... skating to a world record right after Anna's meltdown. She's in a class of her own. There isn't anybody as good as her now. She's perfect in everything (apart form that Lutz which she compensates with a tano). She floats, she has the most difficult PCS, the most difficult TES and can do way more as we have seen. However I do want different programs next season. I hope she'll keep on improving and will win the Olys .

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
What does the colours mean?

Green means a higher score by the judge than what was actually the final score. Red means lower score than what was earned. The darker the shade, the bigger the difference between final and awarded score.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Thanks to Karen, Ashley is now a "two-time Olympic medalist." Ashley skated like she was skating for her Olympic spot and that always makes her skate poorly. Hope Ashley sends Karen thank you notes the rest of her life.

"Ashley Wagner ✔ @AshWagner2010
Let's take a moment to all thank @Karebearsk8 for saving America because let's be honest she did. First time at worlds and she saves the day"

:laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i will rewatch the top 3 but yeah...honestly, after reading all the comments about the "canadians will splat" and seeing ashley, anna and others having issues, i got very sad and very nervous.... thankfully the last 3 delivered and saved the day.

bobbob

Medalist
Chen was great--but I don't think she was that much better than Ashley, especially with a fall in the free...

Overall, a rather disappointing competition, save for the skates of the three on the podium and Mai. Katelyn and Gabby really did perform well--just goes to show we probably shouldn't rule anyone out because of "consistency" issues--anyone can have a good or bad day. I feel bad for Anna, some say she was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode but I think she just had a bad day--she is still more consistent than many. Evgenia was still Evgenia, clean as usual.

gotoschool

Medalist
The camera angle is so bad. It's dubious, but from what's available, it's a shallow outside at best and may even have been flat or shallow inside edge. The camera angle is worse with Kaetlyn's lutz. I miss the closed-up replays that actually focus on the feet. Oh well. Even if they were wrong edges, it's not the first time the tech panel passed on them.

Evgenia skated well under pressure, but I am just going to say what my eyes saw. The camera angle on the youtube video before it was deleted looked quite good. Clearly looked like a full inside blade on take off (wrong edge) on her triple lutz to me.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
When I went on youtube to checkout the videos I saw the Pogorilaya one with the cover showing her kneeing on the ice burying her head in her laps and I thought, wow did she have an amazing skate and was having an emotional celebration?

I clicked on the vid and after the first two jumping passes I just closed it. (Not an avid fan of ladies skating these days so if the performance is poor I simply stop watching.)

No need to bash her over this though because some people are just less competitors when it comes to competitive sports. I played tennis in college and even though I had good techniques I was quite bad at winning matches. And this is world class competition. In the end, just let the results speak for themselves. I do feel that if she wants to compete at the highest level, and knows that she's not good with the mental game, she needs to take the responsibility to seek out professional help. Otherwise why torture yourself with disappointment after disappointment.

I did make it through the whole ordeal including the K/C. I just don't understand her reaction to be honest. Yeah, it was a really off night. There will be more I'm sure. Why act like you just found out your parents died in a plane crash? Toughen up, girl!!! I was worried that they might have to carry her out in a straight jacket! Seriously, it's just ice skating....

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
The Japanese judge needs fired. She/he scored Zhenya *barely* ahead of Katelyn in the long program.:disapp: He/she/it also had Katelyn higher on PCS and scored Zhenya's PCS at 70 points, about 6 points behind what all the other (competent) judges scored her at. I'm legit baffled this person is allowed to judge. Jesus take the wheel. :slink:

Also, Zhenya's lutz normally takes off from a flat (not the same as a flutz). I typically don't mind the ! as it's fair. My only issue is Osmond doesn't always get the ! when her edge is just as unclear. :scratch2:

Anyway, JPN judge aside, I'm not seeing any huge issues on the ladies event. :love:

Last edited:

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I did make it through the whole ordeal including the K/C. I just don't understand her reaction to be honest. Yeah, it was a really off night. There will be more I'm sure. Why act like you just found out your parents died in a plane crash? Toughen up, girl!!! I was worried that they might have to carry her out in a straight jacket! Seriously, it's just ice skating....

Cause she is all too familiar with her Federation and she just gave them a reason to not put her on their Olympic team. She is rightly devastated as the Olympics is the goal of 99% of figure skaters I would reckon. Do you not pay attention? This is her career equivalent of her parents dying in a plane crash. For all intents and purposes, her career just took a nosedive into the Ural Mountains.

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
i will rewatch the top 3 but yeah...honestly, after reading all the comments about the "canadians will splat" and seeing ashley, anna and others having issues, i got very sad and very nervous.... thankfully the last 3 delivered and saved the day.

The last three really saved the whole competition in my mind. Everything just seemed so "meh" until Evegenia did what she normally does :) and the Canadian girls really stood up to the pressure and skated lights out. A definite high note to end on!

auser

Record Breaker
Thanks but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work for me.

Fortunately, I found this from the day before for anyone searching for link like I was....
Thanks for filling in for me Warwick360.:thank: I was unable to post or watch this morning. I was hoping someone would find and retrieve my earlier links if they were needed. I am glad you did :thank:.

chloepoco

Medalist
The Japanese judge needs fired. She/he scored Zhenya *barely* ahead of Katelyn in the long program.:disapp: He/she/it also had Katelyn higher on PCS and scored Zhenya's PCS at 70 points, about 6 points behind what all the other (competent) judges scored her at. I'm legit baffled this person is allowed to judge. Jesus take the wheel. :slink:

:

How rude to refer to a person as "it" just because you don't agree with their judging.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Chen was great--but I don't think she was that much better than Ashley, especially with a fall in the free...

Karen was much better than Ashley. Better Spins, better jumps (she had a fall, but Ashley several URs), more speed, more ice coverage, more complex programs, and here IMO even the better performance. I have no idea where you'd find anything to put Ashley on the same level.

Looking how close it was regarding the spots issue, it was really the judging that decided it. Had Wakaba not been low-balled so much in the SP, Japan might have had that 3rd spot already. Had Ashley not been held up with ridiculous PCS and non-called URs in the SP, US would have lost their 3rd spot. And that's what should have happened, really.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ashley does lot of two-foot-skating compared to all other top-skaters.