Best Host's (Skating Competitions) | Golden Skate

Best Host's (Skating Competitions)

Skate2Music

Rinkside
What countries are the best at holding skating competitions?
What countries would you want to compete in if you were a skater?
What do you think of the ISU putting together a short list and having the skater's vote on potential hosts?

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I'd love to compete in France. We have such great ice, understanding officials and neat organization.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Japan! Competitions and shows sell out in a minute. The crowd is always very supportive of every skater, regardless of what nation they're from. I had a chance to go to a summer ice show there and everyone was so kind and wonderful to be with.

Boston was also a great place for hosting Worlds! I had a wonderful time going last year :)

Barb

Record Breaker
Japan, Spain and USA

Japan and Spain for the crowd.

What do you think of the ISU putting together a short list and having the skater's vote on potential hosts?
No, I don´t think it is so simple, money is the most important.

humbaba

Final Flight
I think Finlandia would be a great event to compete. The audience is always so warm and supportive of the skaters. Everyone seems to have a great time there. Nebelhorn is another event the skaters seem to enjoy. And they have cows!!

shyne

Final Flight
Japan hosts wonderful skating events, but it's such a pain to fight for a good ticket.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I thought both the Czechs and the Fins did a great job with Europeans and Worlds. Great crowds, very supportive.

But it definitely seems that Japanese crowds are the best and the Barcelona crowds seem great.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Japan definitely , USA too

Japan for the fans, Spain for the crowd, USA for the visibility.

Useless, they're all going to vote for Barcelona :rofl:

Barcelona was the best crowd I've ever seen !

sallycinnamon

Medalist

Japan, maybe USA and Canada too

Something which is near to my homeplace. Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Croatia

The idea is nice but it all depends on the money anyway.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've only been to skating competitions in Canada and the US and both were great fun.

Maybe one day I'll get to experience one in Japan with the synchronized applause, it's always amazing how Japanese fans can clap like that!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I didn't go to Boston Worlds, but the SAs I've been to here in the US were just kind of "meh" - audience sparse, nothing really outstanding about them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they had banquets for the skaters, either. At the one in Milwaukee the crowd was rather chilly toward the non-US skaters (Chicago was better in that respect, maybe because there seemed to be more Japanese people there?). Team Challenge Cup was a much better experience - well organized, great audience that supported everyone. So I don't think all US competitions are created equal. Besides, Boston had that awful ice patch.

Barcelona & the past couple of European Championships seemed fantastic along with Japanese competitions. Basically anywhere that isn't France. :laugh:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've been to Worlds twice, the first time in 1999 and again in 2001. Now, I want say from MY perspective only. I personally had a great experience in 1999 because that was the year I met Maria Butryskaya. I had been a huge fan of Maria's ever since I saw her in waaay back in 1992. I also saw Plushy for the first time. Those experiences are the reason I place Finland so high on my list. If I were to go by my experience as an English speaker from the US who had never been out of the country, I'd have to give best host to Vancouver Canada.

We traveled on hosted buses so, I can't vouch for the public transportation however, the city itself is stunningly beautiful and the people are friendly and very knowledgeable about skating. In the US, 9 out of 10 people you meet on the street couldn't name a skater but, in Canada, everybody knew who we were talking when we mentioned skating. Though it wasn't for skating, I was in Calgary for the Stampede and we loved that city. We took a side trip to Banff which is where I met the nicest people. I had a great skating conversation over coffee and learned how to the use term "Eh" correctly.......We also went to the Mall in Edmonton. I believe this is where Kaetlyn and some other skaters train but, I was there was in 1995 long before I knew who she was. There was a rink, a water park, and giant roller coaster and we all had a great time.

I always look for things for the casual fan to enjoy while they're in town. Even as a big a fan as I am, I know that skating can get dull after you've been watching for hours and I'd rather send my friends off to do something fun than listen to them complain about being bored.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Bratislava.
Awesome crowd, one of the few who clapped for random cool elements not just jumps-twizzles-lifts

mrrice

Record Breaker
Bratislava.
Awesome crowd, one of the few who clapped for random cool elements not just jumps-twizzles-lifts

You simply can't beat a great crowd. That's why I loved 2001 Worlds in Canada. The crowd would scream for everyone, not just fellow Canadians. I had never heard of Sylvia Fontana in 2001 but the crowd went wild for her SP. If I remember correctly, all 6 ladies in the final flight got standing ovations from the extremely friendly crowd. The food was great, cheap, and the arena was clean and well staffed.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
You simply can't beat a great crowd. That's why I loved 2001 Worlds in Canada. The crowd would scream for everyone, not just fellow Canadians. I had never heard of Sylvia Fontana in 2001 but they crowd went wild for her SP. If I remember correctly, all 6 ladies in the final flight got standing ovations from the extremely friendly crowd. The food was great, cheap, and the arena was clean and well staffed.

And once you are "here", you can become a volunteer! ;)