2017-2018 Programs by Discipline | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Programs by Discipline

breadstal

Record Breaker
...what a dissapoiting music choices so far for Olympic season :disapp: Not posted here yet? Yuzuru will skate to Chopin Ballade.

evasorange

Final Flight
Wow I gotta say I am REALLY disappointed and surprised at Yuzu going back to Chopin for a THIRD freaking time! That program has been performed to its maximum potential there's nothing exciting or fresh he could bring to it imo. I was hoping for a comepletly unexpected choice the way prince was last season 😟If he had to absolutely bring something back I would have rather he picked Seimei...but I sincerely wish all skaters would pick two new programs for the friggin OLYMPICS!!

sarama

Medalist
Way too many TOP skaters are just picking a successful piece from their repertoire for this season, at this point I'm starting to consider the Shibs bold for at least choosing a different Coldplay song:slink:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree, I'm disappointed with most of the choices here. I was hoping for more contemporary songs to be used (Yay for Duhamel/Radford). But more POTO, etc...and we all know how much warhorses can get to us.

andromache

Record Breaker
Way too many TOP skaters are just picking a successful piece from their repertoire for this season, at this point I'm starting to consider the Shibs bold for at least choosing a different Coldplay song:slink:

This is par for the course during Olympic season, really.

liv

Record Breaker
it's almost as if skater b heard skater a was doing a rerun and so decided they'd do it too... either that, or warhorse the thing...

Danielle

Spectator
I really love Yuzuru's Chopin SP, I have rewatched the NHK and GPF 2015 Chopin and Seimei so many times. However, he has had many 'performances of a lifetime' with this program, which is a bit confusing to me as to why he would bring it back. However, I still will enjoy especially as his technical content has risen since 2015-2016 season. Very excited t find out his choice for FS though.

As for Shoma, I actually like both of his choices, original as they are. I am especially excited for Turandot because I really enjoyed it in his debut season. Even though its a warhorse, no one has ever performed it with his level of technical content + his music cuts worked really well (if he keeps the same music cuts). Plus he never performed his Turandot flawlessly, so really waiting for his "performances of a lifetime".

Javi has REALLY stayed in his comfort zone for too long now, however I think it may be his last season, so I can understand why he wouldn't want to branch out at this point. Hopefully his FS won't be a Spanish theme, because that's literally all he performs: playful CHaplin/SInatra and Spanish programmers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barb

Record Breaker
Let's face it, top men are more concerned about their jumps than their programs. But Chopin for 3rd time?!!! , I would still have preferred a YOI program. Besides, I could never enjoy his program because for me, Mao´s Ballade is too much special. Why does not he repeat his original R&J? I love that program.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I rolled my eyes so hard when I saw Hanyu and Fernandez's choices. Good grief.

Nika09

On the Ice
If there are few programs in the FS world that deserving to be shown multiple times in a row, then Chopin Ballade is one of them. I'm happy and kind of feeling guilty because was keep repeating that this program should be shown at Olympics. One of the all time favorite programs, definitely favorite Hanyu program and costume. Don't think I can get tired of it.

Brian's team pattern is there - Parisienne Walkways, Chopin Ballade, Malaguena, now Chaplin SP...so I was expecting that they will keep SP, but I though and would like it to be Prince SP, to finally watch clean version of it. But this program just wasn't going well all the season and obviously Yuzuru can't get with some mental issues about this program. Well Parisienne Walkways not an option, so just one left - is Ballade. It's masterwork, it's WR holder, it's classical, it's perfect match for Olympics. The only disadvantage is already being used twice. But I think they was planning go with Prince and couldn't predict that it won't work well.

After that point, I mean Shoma, Javier and Yuzurus (his LP going to be some warhorse I guess) decisions I think we should keep it slow with expectations and just accepte the fact that boys are playing their big cards. And obviously it is not plans about new choreo, interesting programs etc. And should wait for another season to watch something new and crazy :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I do love Chopin's music. Was quite excited back when Mao skated to it.

But Skate Canada two years ago--with Hanyu, Patrick, & Tarasova & Morozov all using it--killed it off for me. I could really stand a 5-year hiatus. Three years of the same program is always overkill, IMO, and we have Mirai reusing Chopin for her second season as well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
2 years for a program is fine for me

3 years is too much...

now regarding chopin ballade : i have said it before, and i repeat... there is a huge flaw in the musical conception of it : the main lyrical and powerful theme is absent from the music cuts.... the focus on the light waltz theme going directly into the coda just messes up the entire musical progression of the piece... so for me, there are two issues, a third year with the same program, and also, a program who sure is well choreographed, but is not using the essence of the piece.

Here is the first iteration of the main theme

The second and most glorious which would have been amazing in a program

and the last one...

without these, or at least one allusion to this theme, the piece is empty.... very unfortunate.

Neenah16

On the Ice
I don't really mind Hanyu using the same music for a third time, and I am not bothered by the cuts.I am actually looking forward to his performance especially after Prince and Hope & Legacy. His artistic expression has improved so much last year I am really interested in seeing what he can do with that program now, and he will be upgrading his technical content anyway so it won't be the exact same program.