Ashley Wagner in ESPN Magazine Body Issue | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner in ESPN Magazine Body Issue

RobinBond

Rinkside
ESPN Magazine does a "Body Issue" every year, in which athletes are shown in the nude and also do an interview for an article. In her photos, Ashley is nude on the ice. In her interview, she discusses her concussions and career longevity, among other things.

The interview can be read here: http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...lks-concussions-costumes-collisions-body-2017

The pictures are here: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19742921/espn-body-issue-2017#!athletes_ashleywagner
On the right side of the page, click on NEXT to see all the pictures/videos.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
My fav is the jump. All pics are striking. Now how about some of the men : )

sarama

Medalist
I'm glad she did it. She is a way healthier role model and more inspirational than 99% of the women who appear on magazines these days, who starve themselves and go through plastic surgeries, and then pretend they are born that perfect.

Not important, but I can't help thinking it must have been weird skating naked.

Amei

Record Breaker
I've never been a fan of this magazine issue....somehow any way you frame it, getting/taking naked pictures of yourself is tacky to me.

brightphoton

Medalist
I've never been a fan of this magazine issue....somehow any way you frame it, getting/taking naked pictures of yourself is tacky to me.

I kind of agree, but honestly if I were as fit and muscular as Ashley, I'd want some professional naked pictures of myself too. Then when I get to the rocking chair and crocheting age, I could show those whippersnappers what a hottie I used to be.

charmblade

Final Flight
She looks fantastic! Kudos to her to her to being willing to do this photoshoot. I love seeing the inclusion of a figure skater among the athletes from more main stream sports.

concorde

Medalist
Any one else concerned about her personal experience related to concussions? That sounds like super scary stuff that is going on with her.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think it's brave to do such a photoshooting. The pictures are tame. It's not an erotic shoot, made to arouse the viewer it's a look at a skaters body, the physique, the muscles. Probably the most nerve wrecking must've been being naked in front of the staff. Even more interesting than that shooting is Ashley's interview, although she is not the only skater with that body type and a more womanly look.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kudos to her for doing this! She is pretty much the only skater who would have the guts to do something like this, and is a perfect choice for this ESPN issue. And she looks great to boot!

And while scary to hear, it's interesting to hear about the effects of concussions. She certainly makes it apparent to those who might have thought otherwise that skating isn't a dainty sport and requires a lot of toughness and resilience. It's skaters like her and articles like this that make figure skating "cool" again.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am glad that she has talked abut her concussions. It is a very serious issue in sports and especially FS.
Up front and open dialogue will help skaters in the long run get the proper care for this injury.

That said, Ashley's sculptured body looks absolutely fabulous! :rock:

lappo

Final Flight
Kudos to her for doing this! She is pretty much the only skater who would have the guts to do something like this, and is a perfect choice for this ESPN issue. And she looks great to boot!

And while scary to hear, it's interesting to hear about the effects of concussions. She certainly makes it apparent to those who might have thought otherwise that skating isn't a dainty sport and requires a lot of toughness and resilience. It's skaters like her and articles like this that make figure skating "cool" again.

I found the article very interesting, it's useful that she speaks openly of a problem that may be more widespread than it appears. However, I saw that the article has been reposted on some European journal (admittedly changing the order of the interview a bit, they are not known for accuracy and elegance) and most of the comments aren't that favourable. I think that the oversaturation of nudity that we find everywhere may play a role in this...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think the photo are very aesthetic, not vulgar

my issue with this is that the aim of the shoot is to show how athletes all naturally have different bodies based on what sports they practice....

so why do they paintbrush/photoshop/edit the photos so much? Let's see these athletes in all their natural beauty.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ashley, you beast! You are woman, we hear you roar! :love:

I know these photo shoots aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I think they're important in the overall quest for acceptance of all body types.

Barb

Record Breaker
i think the photo are very aesthetic, not vulgar

my issue with this is that the aim of the shoot is to show how athletes all naturally have different bodies based on what sports they practice....

so why do they paintbrush/photoshop/edit the photos so much? Let's see these athletes in all their natural beauty.

are Ashley´s pictures photoshopped?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
are Ashley´s pictures photoshopped?

i am not saying they transformed her body lines as much as paintbrushed the photos, removing skin imperfections, wrinkles/dimples on her body... in the positions she is holding, there is no way the butt would just perk up without any strange dimple... they left like one ;) I think she's beautiful and that the photoshoot would have been even more real without any filtering or editing. At the same time, it's very artistic and aesthetic... so why not? I just thought it defeated a bit the point of showing true bodies.

mrrice

Record Breaker
i am not saying they transformed her body lines as much as paintbrushed the photos, removing skin imperfections, wrinkles/dimples on her body... in the positions she is holding, there is no way the butt would just perk up without any strange dimple... they left like one ;) I think she's beautiful and that the photoshoot would have been even more real without any filtering or editing. At the same time, it's very artistic and aesthetic... so why not? I just thought it defeated a bit the point of showing true bodies.

I always wonder what the people being airbrushed think about their pictures. When I was touring, we had one poster come out where I had been so airbrushed that I didn't look black anymore. To me, it was offensive but, I never made a big deal out of it. Some of Ashley's pictures almost look like paintings and that's kind of cool as well but, I don't know, if you're going to call it a body issue, why airbrush some of the best bodies in the world. You can do so much with lighting, sets, and camera angles these days that airbrushing seems unnecessary.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
ESPN Magazine does a "Body Issue" every year, in which athletes are shown in the nude and also do an interview for an article. In her photos, Ashley is nude on the ice. In her interview, she discusses her concussions and career longevity, among other things.

The interview can be read here: http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...lks-concussions-costumes-collisions-body-2017

The pictures are here: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19742921/espn-body-issue-2017#!athletes_ashleywagner
On the right side of the page, click on NEXT to see all the pictures/videos.

Nice pix Ashley... wow who'd have thought it is Wagner the face (or the body) of the sport after all these years leading to the PyeongChang Olympic cycle, and not Gracie. (Still gutted for her, is she still with IMG?)
You go girl!! (Both of you!)