2017 CS Finlandia Short Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Finlandia Short Dance

LaArdilla

Medalist
I'm sorry, but there is nothing Latin about P/C's SD. Seriously, *** is that? And the dress? Who came up with it? It's beyond ugly.

Apparently Guillaume was the one to design it 😉 I didn’t like it when I first saw it, but I guess it must look amazing in person with all that glitter and sparkles. Anyway, they always change their SD costumes around Europeans, so maybe this year will be no different.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I applaud all teams who take time to look and find non typical music that still fits into the prescribed rhythm requirements. To me personally Latin ice dance is very often pushed to the limit and extremely tacky.

In a recent discussion someone said that it makes dances/skates more difficult to compare, which is true. However I still side with the skaters who think outside the box and bring something new.

If you go back through my ID posts, you will see I have always championed people who take risks, who think outside the box, who choose unusual music.

There are, however, limits, particularly in the SD.

The whole point of the SD is to have a set pattern to a specific ballroom rhythm so judges can compare couples, particularly as they skate to the same pre-set pattern. I understand that most people were bored by the original set pattern dances--and yes, up to 30 couples doing the same patterns can be numbing (I always found it fascinating and very revealing). But at what point do we say, just because it follows the rules for a pre-set rhythm, a piece of music is SO FAR OUTSIDE THE BOX it might as well be in the parking lot. Why not overlay say, a Celtic jig or a Choopin piano piece with a rhumba backbeat? Wouldn't that follow the rules?

I do find it interesting--and yes, revealing--that the teams who are diong this tend to be the same teams who have a more difficult time dancing on the beat and/or have a tendency to dance to the melody line (which rather misses the point--or should I say key point--of the short dance).

auser

Record Breaker
Gabriella's costume is absolutely gorgeous in person.

S/B really got the audience going
Thank you again for the real time on site report :thank:. I would be envious if I weren't so happy that you are there :cool: :laugh:

maddiesparks

Rinkside
Loved the Danish :love: and P/C were great, of course. I didn't love the Thinking Out Loud section - maybe because the song really doesn't lend itself to having that samba beat put underneath it - but other than that, a great first outing and this will be a strong SD for them. :)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
What do you mean? The music sounds Latin. The choreography is Latin, you couldn't mistakenly take it for anything else. The middle piece of music does have rhythm added. I don't like it, but it sounds Latin.

Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer it not 'sound latin', but actually 'be latin'. :shrug: Really, Papadakis/Cizeron's and Virtue/Moir's SDs are worth each other this season..

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hi auser! Got your pm but I've got too many windows open at the moment to open another one! Yes, I just started watching! Bless the person who posted the link. At least I'll get a chance to see P/M. I really wanted to see this but overslept.

Let's hope some kind soul posts them to youtube!

GGFan

Record Breaker
I rewatched the Danish team and I need to increase my praise of them. That might be the most coherent/cohesive of the short dances I've seen this season! Who knew that I would be looking back fondly at last year? It's so easy for these programs to veer into tackiness.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And dear Lord, why do all the men have to act like they're going to a Samba Wake? There are other colors besides Black. Many many many other colors. Heck at this point I'd even settle for a pocket square in another color.

pearly

Record Breaker
And dear Lord, why do all the men have to act like they're going to a Samba Wake? There are other colors besides Black. Many many many other colors. Heck at this point I'd even settle for a pocket square in another color.

I am torn :D Especially when on the other side of the spectrum you have V necks, mesh, fluorescent color and glitter. The balance is so fragile and fleeting in Latin.

auser

Record Breaker
Hi auser! Got your pm but I've got too many windows open at the moment to open another one! Yes, I just started watching! Bless the person who posted the link. At least I'll get a chance to see P/M. I really wanted to see this but overslept.

Let's hope some kind soul posts them to youtube!
Kutien has been excellent posting video links in this thread. I'll take a look for more after the comp ends. Glad you are here :)

Spot

On the Ice
I am a big fan, so biased anyway ;), but to me Papadakis/Cizeron's SD was truly brilliant. I enjoyed every second of it!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Good for the Canadians for maintaining their composure. They do however "skate young" to me. But this is a good learning experience for them--and in the case of the musical miscue, one with an extra lesson! Good score for them.

pearly

Record Breaker
If you go back through my ID posts, you will see I have always championed people who take risks, who think outside the box, who choose unusual music.

There are, however, limits, particularly in the SD.

The whole point of the SD is to have a set pattern to a specific ballroom rhythm so judges can compare couples, particularly as they skate to the same pre-set pattern. I understand that most people were bored by the original set pattern dances--and yes, up to 30 couples doing the same patterns can be numbing (I always found it fascinating and very revealing). But at what point do we say, just because it follows the rules for a pre-set rhythm, a piece of music is SO FAR OUTSIDE THE BOX it might as well be in the parking lot. Why not overlay say, a Celtic jig or a Choopin piano piece with a rhumba backbeat? Wouldn't that follow the rules?

I do find it interesting--and yes, revealing--that the teams who are diong this tend to be the same teams who have a more difficult time dancing on the beat and/or have a tendency to dance to the melody line (which rather misses the point of the short dance).

I see your point. I think the couples and music choices we are discussing and will be discussing this year (PC, VM) are not quite that extreme. Most of their pop or rock music does not have a beat added but was originally recorded with it (but I understand this was not your main point).

All in all, I don't think these particular couples are stretching the boundaries and rules too much. We'll have to wait and see if ISU decides they need to be more clear in their rules and decide to phrase them so that music has to fit the spirit of the required rhythms as well.