2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Ladies FS

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatif

Medalist
BTW, The whole Russian commentating team led by TAT were rooting so hard for Nagasu. It was cute.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
That this program is a little over the top and he criticizes the construction of it because Eteri's group know how to make programs for the high marks, he said in a way like "these programs care too much about the score" (maybe he was a little envious there)

That's not really what he was saying. He was saying there had been controversy online among skating fans about those things, not really that he agreed with them, maybe to some extent but he still praised her skating and he agreed with the score. He also said he supported the team's decision to construct the programs in that way. "...nothing but respect for her and the team behind her" to be exact.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I totally forgot!!! Yay for Valeriia, now I know why you're called ABBA girl! Great SP and GREAT LP. I'm impressed, because this is a girl that looks like she's having fun, even with a freak fall. Well done!!! Money, Money, Money!!!

madison

Record Breaker
It's an international forum, so what? I am not Asian, this does not stop me from being a decent person and not hating on people. It's not your origin or nationality - it's just about a person. I disagree that what has been going on in here can be defined as "passion". Wishing that a young and hard-working athlete would make a mistake and lose is not passion, it's just unpleasant behaviour. I don't like a lot of skaters, but I would never wish for them to fall or hurt themselves. I could not care less about Anna Pogorilaya for example and I was devastated after her 2017 Worlds FS. The fact that I cannot connect with her does not mean she is not deserving of success.

I assume we are all grown-ups here, let's behave like it.

I'm sure that no one hates any skater out there.... maybe some comments are more colourful, but that's all.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I'm sure that no one hates any skater out there.... maybe some comments are more colourful, but that's all.

I would like to hope so, even though the poster right before you apparently had a laugh at her fall. But I am out, I don't feel like I want to take in negative vibes.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Kostner - I enjoy some of the transitions in the program as compared to how it was in 2011, but the overall tranquility and smoothness of the program has suffered. When you hear this music, and see Carolina's body shape, it calls forth the idea of a deer gently running through a meadow, drinking from a pond, enjoying the breeze, and then finally lying down under the shade of a tree for a pleasant nap. I continue to dislike how people feel the need to do busywork instead of show good lines and choreographic concepts.

Sorry to be that nitpicky, but a faun is not a fawn. Débussy's piece is based on a poem by Mallarmé about a faun having (or dreaming of) an assignation with two nymphs.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
https://streamable.com/nt0n7

Do you... notice the difference between skating from element to element and not doing so?
Thank you for the interesting analysis! It was really a nice comparison to notice a difference in quantity that does not usually show when you're watching live and of course concentrating mainly on the elements. This shows why Evgenia's TR and CH marks should be high, even if her performances these couple of days were not her most exciting ever.
Talking about Wakaba, I was a bit buffled to see her PCS lower than Radio's, when Elena's program was so generic, laboured and empty :ddevil:

tjb

Match Penalty
yeah. it's so honest and wild, to get satisfaction from someone's fall. what an amazing group of people we have here

rosy14

Final Flight
And "Medvedeva is evil" chorus begins.....I hope she retires next year, so people would just move on from hate.

The only thing Osmond is superior in is her jumps and speed. But both are easier when all she does is stroke-stroke-jump-repeat. So that cancels it. BTW, Higuchi is similar, as TAT said today another powerful jumper who just stroking around the rink until the next jumping pass.

I beg to differ, even with Madame Tarasova. Higuchi made a lot of steps, transitions, choreo movements, even difficult ones. The difference is that she keeps her position much more, in a not so frantic way like So,she seems to do less, but not really.
And she’s much more expressive than Medvedeva.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Just wait till her body changes. It's gonna be the same story as with Radionova, Lipnitskaya, etc... Once they get past puberty, their body is no longer forgiving to the bad technique....

oh wow, her puberty awaiters still exist! :laugh:

dailytg20

On the Ice
Ok, one quick thing that's really irritating me: can people stop ripping into Medvedeva for apparently doing 'the same programmes' all the time? It's Olympic year, obviously she isn't going to do anything radical because she's comfortable with that style and it works for her.
This is true. I've always thought the best approach to an Olympic year is to make it about your greatest hits. Show your best work--even if you do something you've done before it will be new to most of the audience.

Moreover, Team Medvedeva has zero incentive to change anything because frankly it's working. She's dominating. The feedback is in the scores. Viewers may have a different opinion, but the judges aren't telling her team to cut back on the tanos, edit out the voiceovers, perfect her presentation, etc. When you receive near 10s on PCS, the judges are telling you there is very little room for improvement. I can't begrudge her team for not refining certain aspects of her skating if the system is not requiring it or reenforcing the ideal form through their scoring.

tjb

Match Penalty
this people don't wish for their favorite skaters, to up a technical game, or be a better skaters in general. the only way they see them winning, is other skaters getting injured.
and let's be honest to the end, there is a possibilty that they actually wishing it (otherwise, why they even think about it).
standing ovations, indeed.

madison

Record Breaker
this people don't wish for their favorite skaters, to up a technical game, or be a better skaters in general. the only way they see them winning, is other skaters getting injured.
and let's be honest to the end, there is a possibilty that they actually wishing it (otherwise, why they even think about it).
standing ovations, indeed.
even if the other skaters up their tech content and are better skaters they cannot do anything against Med's scores.
Med is always winning even if she would make more mistakes...
Why? I don't know.... that's in fact the problem and what people are writing here.

dailytg20

On the Ice
While I love a vulnerable underdog, I think Evgenia's ability to laugh after a mistake makes her look like the antithesis of a classic perfectionist. A lot of skaters turn into a skull emoji after they trip up, then a dark veil appears and the rest of the program becomes a funeral procession.

Frankly all these skaters have to be perfectionists--it's such a nitpicky sport! But her attitude towards an error reminds me of top female gymnasts. The ones who score the best tend to be able to shake it off and move on.

tjb

Match Penalty
even if the other skaters up their tech content and are better skaters they cannot do anything against Med's scores.
Why? I don't know.... that's in fact the problem and what people are writing here.

is someone actually tried?
it sounds like medvedeva is the only skater who are constantly winning with multiple mistakes. while the others are always skating clean and perfect programs, and keep losing

whatif

Medalist

That is hyperbole. She made one error and got the deserved punishment for it. We simply do not know what would happen if she had made more mistakes. That's just have not happened so far. Lots of elite top contender skaters benefit from preferential PCS judging based on reputation despite subpar performances all the time. Ironically majority of them are not Russian. And certainly it is not Medvedeva as she just simply has never been in that situation. Pls direct your anger elsewhere.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sorry to be that nitpicky, but a faun is not a fawn. Débussy's piece is based on a poem by Mallarmé about a faun having (or dreaming of) an assignation with two nymphs.

Music has a life of its own outside the original intent of the composer, especially the marriage of sound and image within a specific context. Fauns and nymphs playing in the forest is not so much different than deer anyway. Kostner herself has long limbs and a narrow face, bringing forth the image of a deer, and her program is certainly less sexualized, creating an image of "Bambi" more than what we might think of fauns and nymphs doing. Whatever someone wants to visualize it as, the important thing to me is the tranquility of the music, and current skating tends to think of this as inferior, even though it shouldn't.

But the definition of a flip is to take off from an inside edge.

There's more to the jump than that. Throughout the ages of skating it has been common to take off "flat" on the Flip, which might even mean a very slight outside edge, even if the superficial definition of the jump is an inside edge. Historically it's not wrong to have a straight approach into the jump rather than a curved one. There is no accreditation for who invented the Flip jump and people did it their own way for decades, more often than not with an entry edge that was not specifically on the inside.

Icey

Record Breaker
Medvedeva, if you are reading this lol, watch Vivien Leigh's Anna over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.