Music we're Tired of Hearing | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Music we're Tired of Hearing

kenboy123

On the Ice
I detest Ed Sheerans song that keeps repeating "I'm in love with your body".

I detest that too...in ANY VENUE!!!....Ed Sheeran has got to the most overplayed artist right now...maybe EVER!!!...i'm surprised that young girls have really taken up to him and are making him so famous as he is not even decent looking (and that's putting it lightly)...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Oh my, well let's see... *cracks knuckles*

Phantom of the Opera
Turandot
Romeo and Juliet
Swan Lake
Concierto de Aranjuez
"It's A Man's World"
The Great Gatsby
The Godfather
"Feeling Good" by Michael Buble
Les Miserables
Carmen
Libertango (and I like Piazzolla)
"Ne Me Quitte Pas"
"Despacito" (the Latin short dances have killed this song)
Exogenesis by Muse (it's getting there...)

kenboy123

On the Ice
I honestly think figure skating music is terrible in general...not that it's bad, but it's just so linear...classical piano music almost every time or jazz standards from the 1950s...its just really dated, i don't know if there is any rule for the music that they are allowed to actually use, but is there any reason why they can't use happy current music???...a little more variety would just be nice IMO....

megenta

Rinkside
Skaters most likely think that they can bring something new and amazing to the music that's been done 74886 times, and that their interpretation of it will be one of the memorable ones. Otherwise they wouldn't do it.

cleo2070

Final Flight
While I do occasionally get somewhat annoyed if the same music cut keeps cropping up, here's my answer to the initial question:

La strada.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can get rid of it :biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well.. i think that there are things on people's list that are too often heard but there is a reason.. : masterpieces...

Turandot is one of them... ballet, opera, classical music that is used as warhorses, it's usually because the pieces are wonderful and can tell a story...

but there are things like Tango de Roxanne for instance, from film or musicals, that could be give up ;) because they suck ;)

so that's my issue... i am fine hearing a great piece of music over and over though, i'd like variety... but i cannot tolerate hearing a bad piece of music over and over....

and that's subjective probably.... as we have different ears

More than being bored, I find it a little bland that they will use the same stuff for centuries...

I honestly think figure skating music is terrible in general...not that it's bad, but it's just so linear...classical piano music almost every time or jazz standards from the 1950s...its just really dated, .

On the other hand, there is a reason why some music lasts for centuries and other music is here today, forgotten tomorrow. As for me, my dream is that some day someone will skate to Hyden, the greatest composer of all time. :)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Pop music.
Celine Dion.
90% of sung music(Stick to instrumentals please).

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'll never get tired of Turandot :devil:

However, this thread reminds me of the 2013-2014 season when I remember there being so many POTO programs they almost made my ears bleed. Kanako Murakami, for example, used POTO for BOTH her short and long program :dbana:

kenboy123

On the Ice
On the other hand, there is a reason why some music lasts for centuries and other music is here today, forgotten tomorrow. As for me, my dream is that some day someone will skate to Hyden, the greatest composer of all time. :)

True, but i just wish that not everyone is skating to the same type of music...i wish some jazz standards, some classical music and some people just pick some modern stuff and have some fun ...everyone doing jazz standards and classical music gets boring really fast, even worst when it's the same piece of classical music over and over too which tends to happen...

blackey

On the Ice
I think it's still depend on the program. I hated it when v/m announced mr and marin, shoma, sui/han announced turandot. But I actually enjoy all of these programs after I see how they develop them.

lappo

Final Flight

Very true. But if you only watch FS you would think that Debussy has written only Clair de Lune (just to make an example). It would be nice to see choreographers pick less or never used pieces (I personally would love to see a program to Dvorak "New world symphony").

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Any music with vocals in Singles and Pairs Skating competition routines. (I'm old fashioned - vocals should be kept to Ice Dance and Exhibition routines).

Female opera singing (men's opera singing is fine).

The tango version of "Roxanne" (much prefer the original version by The Police)

"Gopher Mambo". Ironic, given my name is Gordon. (Anybody that grew up in the UK in the late 80's / early 90's will know what I am getting at. This video is from later, but I chose it because it also includes RTÉ's most famous sons from the same era...)

Can't think of anything else that I have problems with.

Please don't shoot me.

CaroLiza_fan

Eeyora

Final Flight
Imagine
POTO
Maria fro Buenos Aires
Libertango
Carmen
Swan Lake
Scheherazade
Tango de Roxanne
Bad Cover Songs
Elvis
Michael Buble (especially that one about feeling good)
Le Mid
I put A Spell on You
The Beatles
Muse
Four Seasons
Queen Although it’s not used as much anymore
Maleguena
Don Quixote