Music we're Tired of Hearing | Golden Skate

Music we're Tired of Hearing

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Moulin Rouge, Carmen, Swan Lake, Feeling Good, Sherazhade, Turandot... ENOUGH! :drama:

What songs/pieces/soundtracks do you wish were banned forever?

moriel

Record Breaker
All your list, then also
- Phantom of the Opera
- Muse

Overall, less classical / opera / musicals and more rock, folk and metal. Pop is fine too.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
If I like a music I like it forever..How can I get tired of Carmen, Turandot, Sheherezade or Swan Lake? No, I never. Depend on the skaters, the performances I like the programs or not..

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Agree w/everything mentioned, although I don't mind Swan Lake too much if the performance is good.

Les Mis
Who Wants To Live Forever
Bolero (thankfully, this one seems less popular recently)
Papa Can You Hear Meeeee
Send In The Clowns
Hallelujah
Cheesy cover songs, in general
Anything by Lara Fabian or Josh Groban
Chaplin programs, enough already!

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
If I like a music I like it forever..How can I get tired of Carmen, Turandot, Sherazhade or Swan Lake? No, I never. Depend on the skaters, the performance I like the programs or not..

I think for me if a program is really really amazing and memorable and fits the music well I won't mind even if it's a 'classic'! But so often you see really uninspired programs to the same 3 or 4 music pieces.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
That's the thing - we may be tired of POTO, Moulin Rouge, Turandot (although I will never get tired of Turandot), Swan Lake etc, because we hear it a lot. But I was watching today's GP with a friend of mine, who only rarely follows skating (during Olympics and whenever I make her watch) and she mostly adores the programs, where the "warhorses" play. So not everyone is tired, it's only us, very involved fans. :laugh:

I personally agree with plushyfan on this, if I like a piece then I like it for a long time. That's why I don't mind skaters using the known pieces, I tend to enjoy them myself.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
If I never hear Moulin Rouge, Carmen, Papa Can You Hear Me, Send in the Clowns, Black Swan, or POTO I will be very happy indeed.
Warhorses that I never tire of include Swan Lake (please if you're going to use swan-ish themes at least use the ballet!) Romeo and Juliet, Scherezade, and Turandot.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I think for me if a program is really really amazing and memorable and fits the music well I won't mind even if it's a 'classic'! But so often you see really uninspired programs to the same 3 or 4 music pieces.

Right, but that isn't the musics' fault or vice versa a program won't be good if the music is very unusual..

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I feel the same. Like i don't get tired to hear a Beethoven Sonata from different piano players, i don't tired either to watch different good interpretation on the ice.

What i am tired from, even when only one skaters choose one particular song, are non-descriptive boring ballads with vocals. Just, no. It is enough that the exhibitions are full of them, now also i have to hear them in the competition.

Also bad cuts and jamming three songs with different tempo and feelings in the same program.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
Chopin Ballade No. 1
Seimei

On TV, we will review the past performance about three times before the day's performance.
After competition, TV repeats the performance of that day many times.

Imagine that it has been repeated for 3 years and 2 years.

evasorange

Final Flight
Phantom has truly beautiful music so I understand why everyone wants to use but WHY do so many gravitate towards the movie soundtrack with gerard butler?! about five? years ago they did a show to celebrate the 25 anniversary with Ramin Karimaloo and Sierra Boggess and their voices are divine. and yet i've never heard it once used among all of the phantoms we've been subjected to:gaah:

I never get tired of Carmen, Swan Lake or the Nutcracker. Also Turandot, although if you undertake that you'd better be prepared to bring it!

Also Les MIz. :)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Les Mis
Maria de Buenos Aires
Gone with the Wind.

I don't mind the rest you mentioned.

lappo

Final Flight
More than being bored, I find it a little bland that they will use the same stuff for centuries...maybe because I also watch a lot of contemporary dance and I find their music and concept overall more modern and interesting than what most of the choreographers do on the ice. Sure, you have many limitations due to the rules and everything...but maybe with more modern music, that skaters actually listen on their free time, they would probably be more at ease in their interpretation.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Interesting thread. I don't really dislike any pieces of music. However, regarding warhorses, aside from the music being famous and overused in skating, these are usually pieces of music that represent an iconic program from a specific skater, and I have doubts anyone will come close to matching that skater's performance, though many will try. Therefore, when I see it being used by other skaters, it endorses a kind of "meh" response from me. This does not mean no future skaters can ever use the music, and of course multiple skaters can end up having iconic performances to the same music. I just think all skaters, when they use these famous music pieces, should be aware of the high bar that's been set previously.

As examples:
Black Swan / Swan Lake - Oksana Baiul
Historia de Amor- Daisuke Takahashi
La Strada - Daisuke Takahashi (really skaters ought to be careful using any piece of music that Daisuke has skated to, b/c it's unlikely anyone will perform or express it better :laugh:)
Tango de Roxanne - Yuna Kim
Send in the Clowns - Yuna Kim
Schindler's List- Yulia Lipnitskaya
Rachmaninoff - Michelle Kwan
Carmen - Katerina Witt
Turandot - Shoma Uno

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
There was a similar thread I think this season already ... either way.

I am tired of hearing the most:
1. Carmen
2. POTO
3. Feeling Good / Everything from Michael Buble
4. Moulin Rouge
5. Swan Lake
6. Anything involving Josh Groban

I am sorry for putting Josh Groban in the same list as beautiful music from Swan Lake .

lappo

Final Flight
Interesting thread. I don't really dislike any pieces of music. However, regarding warhorses, aside from the music being famous and overused in skating, these are usually pieces of music that represent an iconic program from a specific skater, and I have doubts anyone will come close to matching that skater's performance, though many will try. Therefore, when I see it being used by other skaters, it endorses a kind of "meh" response from me. This does not mean no future skaters can ever use the music, and of course multiple skaters can end up having iconic performances to the same music. I just think all skaters, when they use these famous music pieces, should be aware of the high bar that's been set previously.

As examples:
Black Swan / Swan Lake - Oksana Baiul
Historia de Amor- Daisuke Takahashi
La Strada - Daisuke Takahashi (really skaters ought to be careful using any piece of music that Daisuke has skated to, b/c it's unlikely anyone will perform or express it better :laugh:)
Tango de Roxanne - Yuna Kim
Send in the Clowns - Yuna Kim
Schindler's List- Yulia Lipnitskaya
Rachmaninoff - Michelle Kwan
Carmen - Katerina Witt
Turandot - Shoma Uno

Ok, this are basically my feelings to the use of warhorses expressed in a much better way than I could (even though, the Turandot for me will always be S/Z, closely followed by the tearful Yuna EX...sorry Shoma, nothing personal). As for Dai, I basically agree since I would have never thought that I could enjoy another Blues for Klook program before last year S/H.
I would add Curry majestic DQ to your list.