2017 GP Internationaux de France Ladies FS | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Internationaux de France Ladies FS

Ender

Match Penalty
Alina's TES is monstrous high and well-deserved. But I really, really don't want to see a junior-level program win OGM. Her transitions are great and it's generally well-choreographed, but there is no sophistication or depth in terms of her performance or interpretation.

None of the ladies this season WOWING me with LPs aside from Evgenia.

Also, loooooove Maria. Around the time of the Russian test skates I was definitely thinking she would have a hard time making the Olympic team - she looked very rough - but she just might do it. Maria versus Polina will be a very interesting battle (and I will be sad for whoever ultimately loses). Would've been nice to see her pull out a surprise win here over Alina, honestly, especially considering Alina's MAJOR mistakes in the SP.
Zagitova’s FS doesn’t look juniorish to me, it just looks boring in the first half and too busy in the second half. However after 2 seasons this program has grown on me. I think it’s quite memorable especially her red dress.

Don’t ask me about PCS. Cause I am speechless.

Ender

Match Penalty
Osmond didn't get bronze for her messy performance in the free skate. She got bronze because of the short program, which gave her a huge cushion.
In the SP, Osmond had a 3-2 and a hand down in the flip
Mihara had a 3-3 downgraded which I think not much different from a 3-2. And no other mistakes.
Even if Osmond did somewhat better in the SP it didn’t look like overwhelmingly better.
Mihara did better in the free.
Mihara could have won the bronze by a slim margin. But nope. Cause Skate Canada is much stronger.

^ Do you think that Skate Canada has more influence on the international judges than the Japanese Skating Federation does?

ks777

Record Breaker
But then again, Julia did not win the Olympic gold medal. What if Sotnikova, Kim and Kostner had said, oh well, they have already given it to Lipnitskaya, why should I even try?

The only reason she didn't win was because she fell apart even though the judges were ready to give it to her if she skated clean. Sotnikova wasn't even a favorite going into the Olympics but became a favorite after Lipnitskaya fell apart in SP.

Ender

Match Penalty
The only reason she didn't win was because she fell apart even though the judges were ready to give it to her if she skated clean. Sotnikova wasn't even a favorite going into the Olympics but became a favorite after Lipnitskaya fell apart in SP.
That’s true, ISU and Russian fed would have been more than happy if Lipnitkaya won.

That is my point. The projected winners might fall apart. Keep on Truckin', you never know what might happen.

In the SP, Osmond had a 3-2 and a hand down in the flip...

I have never understood objections of this type. Osmond did a 3F+2T. She got 6.60 points for it, which is right. She got 0.40 GOE, which is no big deal and in accordance with the rules. Her 3Lz was not good. She got 6.00 points for doing a triple Lutz, but every judge gave negative GOE.

These are the point values that are listed in the rules for these elements. When you are done, add up the scores. We can't just say, I lked Mihara better, so she should have a higher score.

Eclair

Medalist
I hope Alina (and Evgenia for that matter) don't fall off the grid after these Olympics like so many Russian skaters do. I would love to see Alina still competing in 5-6 years when her skating is more mature and polished and less choppy. Of course it's like that now - she's still young and that is always the case.

nobody is disputing that Alina is young and skates young (naturally). But she's not getting the PCS of a juniors skater. She's getting the PCS of a Ashley Wagner, Osmond, Kostner.

Eclair

Medalist
And if a senior lady really DOES step up, with Tech just as high, with speed, SS, interpretation and a great performance, consistency throughout the season, like Wakaba did at CoC, she gets LESS PCS than Alina ... :disagree::noshake:

Leonardo

Final Flight
And if a senior lady really DOES step up, with Tech just as high, with speed, SS, interpretation and a great performance, consistency throughout the season, like Wakaba did at CoC, she gets LESS PCS than Alina ... :disagree::noshake:

Exactly!

concorde

Medalist
By the way, Wakaba still has a small chance to get into the final. If Polina places 2nd with a lower total and is only beaten by someone not named Ashley at Skate America, then Wakaba will get into that 6th spot.

If Wakaba does not get in the final, I will never forgive this sport. She was robbed of a gold at COC and perhaps even a silver at Rostelecom Cup. And it’s hard to see that only one of Wakaba or Polina can make it (as a fan of both).

Given the way the ladies are skating, I think Wakaba still has a realistic chance. Pogo and Karen Chen can put together some great programs so them going 1-2 is not a strange thought but then again, both are extremely unpredictable.

Anyone know what is going on with Pogo and her back. Since SC, basically nothing has been said.

Ender

Match Penalty
Given the way the ladies are skating, I think Wakaba still has a realistic chance. Pogo and Karen Chen can put together some great programs so them going 1-2 is not a strange thought but then again, both are extremely unpredictable.

Anyone know what is going on with Pogo and her back. Since SC, basically nothing has been said.
Pogorilaya and Chen... they will be the last I would put my bet on.

in answer to one of you regarding wakaba and getting in she might, might not.

polina tsurskaya and ashley has to finish 2nd /3rd and receive a less than 419. total for wakaba score.
while that might seem hard, polina tsurskaya received a 210 she would need alt least another 209-210so it is possible for her to finish 2nd and still beat wakaba total score.

Ashley more than likely has to win due to lower in skate canada (182) she would need a total of 237 /238 to beat wakaba's score,
she has gotten a 215 , would need to better than by 25 points.

wakaba has a decent chance of making it.

it depends really on how ashley, polina tsurskaya skates, scores they receive , finish.
they could conceivable finish 1/2 and both make it in gp final or only 1 . depends the way season has gone anything can happen

ashley

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And if a senior lady really DOES step up, with Tech just as high, with speed, SS, interpretation and a great performance like Wakaba did at CoC, she gets LESS PCS than Alina ... :disagree::noshake:

I’m a big fan of Wakababy and not really all that into Alina but I don’t see an iron clad reason why either one should score higher than the other. I find Alina a bit more impressive but Wakaba a bit more enjoyable if we are discussing presentation. . I’m not a believer in these wild conspiracies I keep reading and while Wakababy is one of my favorites this season I don’t think Alina outscoring her is anything out of place. I’d say the same if it were the other way.

Sackie

Medalist
With the way this season is going so far is it possible that RUS can sweep the Ladies medals at the Olympics? Not looking good for either Osmond or Daleman to be in the mix.