2017 GP Skate America Ladies SP | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Ladies SP

andromache

Record Breaker
Maybe it is a thing in America. Sure, I think skaters should have input into music selections, perhaps even in choreographic moments, things like that. But the coach should be man (or woman) enough to stand up to the athlete when they insist on doing something goofy like we've seen with Chen.

At this level, a coach should be tweaking technique and mentoring/guiding a skater to championship moments. Anybody, heck even just us fans, could have predicted the outcome of switching up entire programs for a non-confident skater just prior to a major event.

If her coach didn't try to insert some sanity, then she should be fired. If Karen insisted, then she deserves this downfall.

If Karen had worked with a world class choreographer to begin with, she wouldn't have had to go through this. Karen choreographed her Swan SP herself, and I have no doubt that collaborating with someone like Lori or Buttle or Shae Lynn would be incredibly fruitful for her. She's an artistic girl who isn't getting the practical guidance she needs to express her artistry and still be a successful athlete.

In Ashley's Ice Talk interview, she discussed working with Shae Lynn to make tweaks, etc., and she mentioned Shae Lynn's advice on where to breathe in order to maintain her energy to get her elements done. Those tiny details are important and are probably best had from a very experienced expert.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Really dissapointed In Ashley and Polina today, hopefully they comeback tomorrow!

- - - Updated - - -

Really dissapointed In Ashley and Polina today, hopefully they comeback tomorrow!

Really happy for Satoko tho!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
So what are Wakaba's chances to go to GPF?

She's in of Polina and Ashley get 3rd or below, OR if one gets 2nd and loses the tiebreaker I believe? As long as one of them doesn't win

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Karen had worked with a world class choreographer to begin with, she wouldn't have had to go through this. Karen choreographed her Swan SP herself, and I have no doubt that collaborating with someone like Lori or Buttle or Shae Lynn would be incredibly fruitful for her. She's an artistic girl who isn't getting the practical guidance she needs to express her artistry and still be a successful athlete.

In Ashley's Ice Talk interview, she discussed working with Shae Lynn to make tweaks, etc., and she mentioned Shae Lynn's advice on where to breathe in order to maintain her energy to get her elements done. Those tiny details are important and are probably best had from a very experienced expert.

Amen to every word of this post, and shame on her team for not INSISTING that this athlete have the professional guidance necessary to succeed.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Amen to every word of this post, and shame on her team for not INSISTING that this athlete have the professional guidance necessary to succeed.

Could it be financial? I have no idea what her situation is but it just seems bizarre to want to choreograph yourself in an Olympic season when you are (were?) America's top women.

LoveSkater

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I think that Rus and jpn are conspired put Wakaba and Polina into the GPF
- Rus and Jpn judges gave huge marks for Satoko and Polina and rus judge gave Satoko high PCS and jpn judge did the same with Serafima and Polina
- Rigged tech panel with ex-USSR tech spetsialist. They gave Ashley < and no ! or Lze for Serafima and no < for Polina and no < for Satoko

If it is true, jpn fed knows that Med will withdraw and Polina in case of clean skate would be 1st or 2nd

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Karen did work with a world class choreographer this season. Mark Pillay did both of her new programs for the season that she nixed for old ones at Skate America.

Danibellerika

Medalist
So what are Wakaba's chances to go to GPF?

She will want for Ashley to not get gold (because she'd win on the tie breaker). She'll want for Polina to not get gold, and if she gets silver, she'll want it to be below a 209 (likely considering the SP deficit she now has). Long story short, Wakaba would want the podium to stay as is.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
She will want for Ashley to not get gold (because she'd win on the tie breaker). She'll want for Polina to not get gold, and if she gets silver, she'll want it to be below a 209 (likely considering the SP deficit she now has). Long story short, Wakaba would want the podium to stay as is.

Or one thing she wouldn't want: Medvedeva forced to pull out due to injury.

Lipea

Final Flight

- - - Updated - - -

Really happy for Satoko tho!

You mean just the scores, don't you? Because not considering the judging, Ashley and Satoko were technically about equal, and presentation-wise Ashley is stronger.

LoveSkater

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Maybe US fed isnt interested in girls since Boston. Girls are Rus and Japan and Canada territory. No home-cooking for Ashley today

dailytg20

On the Ice
With Satoko, the step-out was penalized though. The only thing that was possibly controversial is the UR call on the loop not being more negative, but even that wouldn't put her down in 65-66 at all, especially when her mid-8s PCS scores are deservedly above the group. Instead it would put her maybe a hair lower than Kaori in the 69 range at best.

Claims of bad judging with Satoko here are greatly exaggerated IMO.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I was impressed by Bradie Tennell (67.01) and Serafima Sakhanovich (66.28) who were slightly ahead of Ashley Wagner (64.12) after the short program. Serafima Sakhanovich is now coached by Evgeni Plushenko.

frida80

Record Breaker
Karen did work with a world class choreographer this season. Mark Pillay did both of her new programs for the season that she nixed for old ones at Skate America.

Sorry, her Carmen LP was awful. So many empty spots. You could she she was struggling to give life. Sometimes the choreographer isn’t inspired by the skater. She would’ve been better with Shae.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Yep, over 70 with step-out and a UR. Should be around 65-66, and so should be Ashley's scores.

I thought Satoko's elements were much better than Ashley's across the board, jumps included. She had a step out, but not an UR, although all of the jumps were iffy. She definitely didn't end up in first thanks to the GOE of her jumps! Ashley landed the second half of her combination basically forward (thought it should have been <<), her 2A was really scratchy, and she was definitely still rotating when she landed the 3Lo. She barely got the free leg around. It looked like a two-footed landing watching it live, but it was just really under-rotated. It's a shame that her ankle infection affected her so much, but she really didn't have her signature punch today. Spins and step sequence were unquestionably better from Satoko. PCS is of course subjective, but for my money Satoko gave the best performance of the night.

On the other hand, it seems to me that Kaori Sakamoto definitely should have been even with or higher than Satoko.

dailytg20

On the Ice
The scores are so close here that I barely think it matters, but I think the only thing that kept Kaori below Satoko in terms of overall score was that last spin. She nearly went completely off axis, but skillfully recovered. She was so dang close, you could see it in her expression at the end.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry, her Carmen LP was awful. So many empty spots. You could she she was struggling to give life. Sometimes the choreographer isn’t inspired by the skater. She would’ve been better with Shae.
I never said her programs were phenomenal, just that she had a well known choreographer. And Shae isn't the answer for everyone. OTOH Misha Ge did a great exhibition program for her last spring.