2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

chameleon

On the Ice
If Igor thinks they're ready, I imagine they'll move up regardless of anything else. They only have one more year of junior eligibility left, and even if there are no retirements in US dance, there will at least be quite a few retirements internationally. It'll probably come down mostly to Igor's decision- strategically speaking, waiting a year is unlikely to significantly alter the landscape of dance to be more favorable to them. I didn't really think Pogrebinsky/Benoit would be ready for seniors but they had a decent senior debut considering.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I didn't really think Pogrebinsky/Benoit would be ready for seniors but they had a decent senior debut considering.
Some skaters do better in Seniors than in Juniors, weirdly enough. Nobody expect you to be world champion right away so you learn a lot more. If you're "lucky" enough and you're not from CAN, USA, or RUS, you might get a Euro/4CC/World spot. You compete, you gain more experience and it shows and the so-called "better juniors" move up and don't do as well because of that.
The issue with C/P is the depth of US ice dance... top 3 might continue. P/B are doing well tbh, H/B could be even more amazing but they are the 1st team to be the victims of that depth. What they can do is maybe staying in Juniors one more year with more mature programs, in order to polish themselves a lot before going seniors (get those technical tricks, working on those elements, having a bigger part in their program choices to develop themselves, etc).

Barb

Record Breaker
But why C/P situation is being discussed here? Just because his parents are russians? :p

bramweld

Record Breaker
Apparently Ilinykh and Shibnev have withdrawn from Nationals.
From the time I saw this young woman skate live in her first year on the jgp I was sure she would some day be an Olympic gold medalist. My jaw dropped when I saw her merely take to the ice for a practice warm up. If this is the end for her she will always be for me one of the great unrealized talents. Along with a few other females. Wouldnt it be nice if we could easily mix and match our skaters ignoring country, money and timing. I think I could have come up with some great teams. Fantasies now

She is a phenominal talent. To this day I can watch her performances from 2005 - 2011, when she was merely a babe with great pleasure. I remember when she had her first senior grand prix in Japan, she was fearless, Katsalapov was shaking in his boots as he had a back injury at the time. Even in warm up she was so good. That predator, Nikolai Morozov was gawking at her when she was only 16!! I was so disgusted, just as he was in test skates this year. I will not deny it, that man disgusts me and probably always will. I digress.

I hope this is a minor blib on her journey and great things are in store for her future.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Igor teams tend to go to senior right away unlike the WISA teams, but with the U.S. ice dance scene the way it is, maybe that will change. That said, I wonder if Igor thinks Carreira/Ponomarenko are ready to tackle on the senior level with or without retirements from the current top 3.

Abachkina & Thauron train with Igor, and they didn't move up until they aged out. Pogrebinsky & Benoit weren't planning on doing so either until it became clear that the other two junior teams weren't doing so & there was space in the senior field. Igor moves his teams up when there is room to compete.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Abachkina & Thauron train with Igor, and they didn't move up until they aged out. Pogrebinsky & Benoit weren't planning on doing so either until it became clear that the other two junior teams weren't doing so & there was space in the senior field. Igor moves his teams up when there is room to compete.

Or if they already had major junior success like winning or medaling at Junior Worlds. If they do it pretty young, then I think he would probably move them up not have them stay in Juniors like WISA did with McNamara/Carpenter. I remember Belbin/Agosto, Chock/Zuerlein, the Shibs, and others who could have stayed in juniors age wise but moved up pretty soon after they became age eligible even when the senior ranks were established domestically.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Some skaters do better in Seniors than in Juniors, weirdly enough. Nobody expect you to be world champion right away so you learn a lot more. If you're "lucky" enough and you're not from CAN, USA, or RUS, you might get a Euro/4CC/World spot. You compete, you gain more experience and it shows and the so-called "better juniors" move up and don't do as well because of that.
The issue with C/P is the depth of US ice dance... top 3 might continue. P/B are doing well tbh, H/B could be even more amazing but they are the 1st team to be the victims of that depth.

Going to put up a scoring comparison between all the young U.S. teams fighting for 4CCs this season. But moving it over to the U.S. dance thread (soon as I can find it).

Meanwhile, back to Russian ice dance . . .

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A/T do have a pretty big age gap though (Jan 2000 vs Aug 1995), and they spent 4 seasons in juniors (their full eligibility). C/P are already in their 4th year of juniors.

Back to Russian teams, looking at Nationals, what are people predicting?

We have B/S almost certainly 1st, probably S/B second, maybe a small chance of S/K beating them. Then the next 2 by season's best are Z/G (169.81) and P/M (164.07). Then we have L/D (155.72), E/B (150.28), SOSNITSKAIA/GOLOVISHNOKOV (137.58), SOLOVIEVA/VLASENKO (123.33), and other teams without an SB.

Mattieu

Medalist
If Ekaterina retires at the end of the season, could Dimitri and Elena partner?

It's been repeatedly said from many sources, that Dima would never team up with Elena.
He allegedly has a partner lined up if the Navka forum is to be believed.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
It's been repeatedly said from many sources, that Dima would never team up with Elena.

Navka has her own forum ...? :reye:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Navka has her own forum ...? :reye:

She is sort of a forgotten champion that figure skating fans out of Russia have been rarely mentioned for a while, but she is a Russian, so there could be one in Russian forums. Though I've heard that she is more famous as some type of celebrities than as a former athletic in Russia.

hanca

Record Breaker

That’s very well to say that he has a partner lined up, but where is the partner at the moment? If she were that great, why doesn’t she compete? Even though Russia is a huge country with a decent figure skating program, it is not as if there were unattached top ice dancers (both males and females) working hard on their skills and waiting for Bobrova to retire so that a partner becomes available. The reason why Ilynikh paired up with Shibnev who was never good enough to compete at GP or any championship at junior or senior level is because there was simply no one better available. So I doubt that if Bobrova retires, Soloviev has already a partner lined up. The only way it would be possible is if Sinitsina/Katsalapov split up (or Stepanova/Bukin split up).

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Someone close to Soloviev posts on FSO and said “Dima knows whom he is skating with next year”. It could still mean Bobrova in the end.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Someone close to Soloviev posts on FSO and said “Dima knows whom he is skating with next year”. It could still mean Bobrova in the end.

And it probably wouldn't be a surprise to me. I think this still hinges on what results they'll achieve this season, and Katia's plans after the Olympics/Worlds are over.