2018 US Championships Sr Men SP | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men SP

Vicent Chou! It'd be such a cute nickname. Vicent Chou! Be careful on those quads! (Chou is a term of endearment in French, like honey)

Oops, sorry Vincent. I am showing my age. I was brought up on the Wade-Giles transliteration of Chinese into English. I remember when the right-hand man of Mao Tse-tung (now Mao Zedong) was Premier Chou En-lai (now Zhou En-lai). Anyway, here's best wishes for Caroline Jiang this evening. :)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I loved Jason's SP SO MUCH!!!
It irks me to no end that Tara and Johnny won't shut up and let me enjoy it...
Jason's so happy and Tara and Johnny are just like "he will never be competitive" and "there's no UR call when it's a half turn on the ice" no it was a quarter turn shut up and be kind to people for once.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I mean I LOVE Jason but Grant was better then him tonight. I know it's only a point but it kinda bothers me...Grantbhad the skate of his life!
I'm trying to imagine how demotivating that would be for someone like Grant. Especially when the tech panel and referees are playing games and calling things rotated that aren't.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

There is truly something wrong with them. But they've been shaped by the inane, ratings-hungry American commentators that came before. Just took it to the next level of narcissism. [emoji32]

I loved Jason's SP SO MUCH!!!
Jason's so happy and Tara and Johnny are just like "he will never be competitive" and "there's no UR call when it's a half turn on the ice" no it was a quarter turn shut up and be kind to people for once.

Yes, the narrative they and other commentators push around Jason relative to the other men really irks me, especially when they project it out into the future -- comments like "in this day and age" his skating style isn't enough, and quad-focused skaters like Zhou are "the future" of US figure skating. Isn't the ISU planning to revise the judging system to more effectively punish poorly executed quads in the next Olympic cycle? If so, Jason would have a clear advantage over other men who are currently on top. The point is, no one really knows what the future will look like, especially if the judging system changes, but Tara and Johnny and so many others talk about Jason like he's some kind of fossil.

It also bothers me that while the last group was warming up, Tara and Johnny (of course) criticized Jason for not having a quad, but after Adam performed his quad-less program, they praised Adam for "having it all" (or something along those lines). Nothing against Adam, but it just seems like sometimes commentators have this negative fixation on Jason compared with the other men, and I don't understand why.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I'm trying to imagine how demotivating that would be for someone like Grant. Especially when the tech panel and referees are playing games and calling things rotated that aren't.

I feel like the judging in general was off tonight. I agree that Grant should be ahead of Jason. Granted, I haven't been to judging school, but this is how I'd rank them:

1. Adam
2. Grant
3. Jason
4. Max
5. Nathan

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Congrats Nathen, Adam :D

I kind of dig Nathen's tracksuit and new haircut, it fit the contemporary theme really well, and i love how tight, neat and dynamic it adds to the movement while emphasise on the lines and forms as he moves. Simple and elegantly done. Nice job. In a darkened rink with the white in ultraviolet.. it could be a nice exhibition performance for the sport of figure skating.

Adam clubbed it to the Olympics stage and having fun doing so. Couldn't be more happier for him.. better with ruffled golden curls though.. ;D

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like the judging in general was off tonight. I agree that Grant should be ahead of Jason. Granted, I haven't been to judging school, but this is how I'd rank them:

1. Adam
2. Grant
3. Jason
4. Max
5. Nathan

Max in fourth? With stumbles on quads and no combo at all? Did you watch his program? That would be a flat-out insult to every man who rotated a quad or completed a combo or (many other things I won't mention).

sworddance21

On the Ice
If you watch the NBC link they slow down the replay. If you were picturing the same clock, and the toe pick at 6 o’clock ideally, where he landed, his toe pick was aimed at 10 o’clock, plus he was 2 footed.
Thanks. I was watching that broadcast. I'll have to look again. It's possible I don't understand which way the "clock" should be oriented. I'm a big fan of Jason's nuanced skating skills, but if he makes the team, I'd prefer it be legit. I also love Grant, but am not sure of his consistency. I know Hanyu, Chan, and Fernandez were out, but it is hard to deny - IMHO- making the Olympic team be three men who made the Grand Prix final.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Didn't read all the comments when I posted, funny reaction to Nathen's costume. You guys are not seeing the big picture. If this SP wins the Olympics, it can be easily and universally immortalised while remain unique and original enough to be easily represented on any figure silhouette, shop window mannequins, graphics, displays etc... doesn't just have to be on male either.

The matt black velvet looking finish is very 'in' right now. 'Athleisure' is also the IT trend in the fashion world past 2,3 seasons. This would be a perfect blend of these trends for 2018 with its own 'bang up to date'. Emphasise on the upper carriage especially on the torso and upper body movement to compliment the choreography that uses upper body and music (jazzy) quite effectively.

It also needs to be considered how it works in motion like all the best skating costumes are. I thought it is a really interesting bold choice that they didn't use the lines with the leg, which would be the conventional way.. given say the look of the Gucci / Adidas pants.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Adam is so overscored, seriously.

I'm a fan of Adam, but yes, he was overscored, so were others. It's Nationals anyway. At Nationals, placement matters most to decide who would be sent ot Olympics/Worlds/4CC/JWC, not National inflation. If you have seen the Russian men's event at Nationals, Adam's score is not that outrageous by comparison. He drew people in with his performance.

sworddance21

On the Ice
I thought it was a quarter turn, too. Two footed, yes, but rotated. I am totally with you - and many others here- about Tara and Johnny. Mean isn't funny. They have so much knowledge, why do they have to rely on tearing everyone down? I much prefer Ryan Bradley and his "trrrrriiippple axel"!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'm a fan of Adam, but yes, he was overscored, so were others. It's Nationals anyway. At Nationals, placement matters most to decide who would be sent ot Olympics/Worlds/4CC/JWC, not National inflation. If you have seen the Russian men's event at Nationals, Adam's score is not that outrageous by comparison. He drew people in with his performance.

They were generous with him, only because they were previously not generous with him. I do think judges subconciously will try to rectify previous imbalance given the right occassion. May be that is part of the reason for Ashley's and Polina's marks.