Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron | Page 167 | Golden Skate

Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For me,those two links are really interresting in order to approch their feeling about sport / danse / philosophy ...
https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/les-je...-des-roulettes
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/01/18/264872452

Thank you, those were really interesting reads. I very much like their approach to their work - it seems very level-headed and philosophical for two such young athletes, and it's standing them in very good stead this year. It's interesting that they've identified what threw them off last year and found ways not to make the same mistakes again!

floatingworld

On the Ice
For me,those two links are really interresting in order to approch their feeling about sport / danse / philosophy ...
https://sport.francetvinfo.fr/les-je...-des-roulettes
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/01/18/264872452

And here is a bit of a context for that icenetwork interview (see link below). Looks like Marie France-Dubreuil will be around for Gaby and Guillaume this time. And the ice dance judges were having some fun during the ice dance practice. Let's hope they continue to be in a good mood for tomorrow's short dance competition! We will be sending you good thoughts, Gaby and Guillaume!

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/01/18/264872816/russian-solyanka-fernandez-up-on-his-history

floatingworld

On the Ice
Thank you, those were really interesting reads. I very much like their approach to their work - it seems very level-headed and philosophical for two such young athletes, and it's standing them in very good stead this year. It's interesting that they've identified what threw them off last year and found ways not to make the same mistakes again!

I quite agree. Their mature and philosophical approach is very characteristic of the mentality of top performers in any field. Their interview responses were also very indicative of their deep sense of artistry.

icetigger

On the Ice
Judges are Casaba Balint (Slovakia) Maira Abasova (Russia) David Munoz (Spain) Nicholas Russell (British) Virpi Kunnan-Helminen (Finland) Irina Medvedeva (Azerbaijan, used to judge for Ukraine) Anastasia Makarova (Ukraine) Miroslav Misorec (Czech) Christian Baumann (Germany). No French or Italian judge.......

Spot

On the Ice
Wishing them good luck today...and really looking forward to seeing the program again :).

Spot

On the Ice
That was great! Not absolutely perfect...but I'd rather they save that for the Olympics anyway, haha!

And I didn't want to get into this earlier...but I think the scoring was quite fair, and I didn't expect anything different, for many reasons.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, it was good, not perfect but still a lot of fun and they got a level or two back in the end! It was a good first outing for the new choreography.

And now I am going to head to bed, because it's almost 1am here and I have my aunt's birthday party to go to tomorrow...at least I'll be home in time for the free dance tomorrow night! :bed:

icetigger

On the Ice
One of the most perfectly structured short dances ever created, skated with more polish than anyone else can muster. Small mistake on the twizzles (not sure what the level was dropped for?, because the rotations were all there- maybe blade not deemed to have been grabbed within first half rotation) but they gritted their teeth and got through them, even though both evidently realised at the time. Well done! I feel they relax for the free skate; so hoping for a great performance on Saturday. (Happy to see Stepanova and Bukin in second; and I felt the scoring was fair overall too.)

(and they've drawn last for the free skate- a good thing in my opinion)

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
While it may not have been perfection today, I'll say it again, the elements are spot on, barring the twizzle mistake (That's okay, get that out of your system before the games !). The technical is so good, the pattern is one of the highlight for me, really the skating skills are something (and the stupid argument of the "not as technical/difficult goes right into the trash).
It's good to have Euros, to get them back on that competition mode they had at the GP series so they can fire up and deliver in 3 weeks !

icetigger : Ben Agosto, said that the level should not been affected but it was. Now they still got high GOEs, maybe some judges did not see it and I said that oly because Romain and Marie-France did not see it when they wet off the ice hen Gaby told them. You know what, it's fair. Drop a level, get the same score you'd have if there was not +2s and +3s. For me I'm totally fine with it, and it would be even better if they did that for everyone of course.

cocotaffy

Final Flight
Always good to read you Anyasnake. I think you're right about the competition mode. They explained as much in the icenetwork interview saying Christmas Break is tough to manage. It might explain the rather subdued energy compared to GPF (my fav SD of them this season). They also probably focus on being extra clean and for expect the twizzle bobble, they were indeed. That pattern is to die for. Now this Non Touch Sequence, what is missing there ? What do you think one more turn somewhere but with so little time left till the Olympics they might not want to touch up to many things now. I also preferred the ending body rolls, it gave a nice Latin flair. It was a bit too straightforward this time around.
And I wanted to add, I was thrilled about the revision for the partial sequence, totally deserved level 4, it's so smooth.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Always good to read you Anyasnake. I think you're right about the competition mode. They explained as much in the icenetwork interview saying Christmas Break is tough to manage. It might explain the rather subdued energy compared to GPF (my fav SD of them this season). They also probably focus on being extra clean expect the twizzle bobble they were indeed. That pattern is to die for. Now this Non Touch Sequence, what is missing there ? What do you think one more turn somewhere but with so little time left till the Olympics they might not want to touch up to many things now. I also preferred the ending body rolls, it gave a nice Latin flair. It was a bit too straightforward this time around.
Well who wants to have that World record now ? :laugh: No idea, I'm really guessing judges don't want to go blazing guns on them, and that's better, because they perfect GOEs on it (!!) and they'll go work harder for those levels :biggrin: And if something is missing they'll get feedback anyway.
Yeah the pattern is sooo good. Love it.

floatingworld

On the Ice
While it may not have been perfection today, I'll say it again, the elements are spot on, barring the twizzle mistake (That's okay, get that out of your system before the games !). The technical is so good, the pattern is one of the highlight for me, really the skating skills are something (and the stupid argument of the "not as technical/difficult goes right into the trash).
It's good to have Euros, to get them back on that competition mode they had at the GP series so they can fire up and deliver in 3 weeks !

icetigger : Ben Agosto, said that the level should not been affected but it was. Now they still got high GOEs, maybe some judges did not see it and I said that oly because Romain and Marie-France did not see it when they wet off the ice hen Gaby told them. You know what, it's fair. Drop a level, get the same score you'd have if there was not +2s and +3s. For me I'm totally fine with it, and it would be even better if they did that for everyone of course.

So glad to hear this (that their elements were really spot on except for the twizzles) given your technical perspective, Anyasnake. I was watching their performance along with Ben Agosto's not so enthusiastic commentary which was affecting my impression of their performance, but when I replayed his commentary, his lack of enthusiasm was largely due to the seemingly lack of energy and not their technical elements (of course the twizzle issue was noticed by Ben Agosto). I watched their practice on video the other day and they looked to me as if they had more energy back then. And I should add: yes, this not so perfect performance should keep them on their toes till the Olympics (which is good!).

icetigger

On the Ice

I rewatched: Gabby was late with the blade grab.

I don't care for Ben Agosto.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I rewatched: Gabby was late with the blade grab.

Oh ! Well it's normal then. EDIT : I rewatched it, actually she was not that late :confused: But hung on to it though. ANyway, I'm totally okay with this, it's justified I think since it was clearly not perfect ;)

icetigger

On the Ice
Oh ! Well it's normal then. EDIT : I rewatched it, actually she was not that late :confused: But hung on to it though. ANyway, I'm totally okay with this, it's justified I think since it was clearly not perfect ;)

I'm good with the score.......... if they had got the twizzles right they'd have likely got the WR, so there is an underlying positive message there.

But a level drop has to be justified; and as they complete the rotations for the second set, and their not being in sync is a GOE issue, there has to be a loss of a feature, and it does look like the blade grab.. https://youtu.be/itZJk2XUw1c?t=5m3s watch the slow mo replay of the second set (don't watch the twizzles as they were originally filmed) at quarter speed on youtube and you see that Guillaume grabs his blade a half turn before Gabby, which is enough for the feature to be lost.

The overall message is positive here, though. Very positive.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I'm good with the score.......... if they had got the twizzles right they'd have likely got the WR, so there is an underlying positive message there.

But a level drop has to be justified; and as they complete the rotations for the second set, and their not being in sync is a GOE issue, there has to be a loss of a feature, and it does look like the blade grab.. https://youtu.be/itZJk2XUw1c?t=5m3s watch the slow mo replay of the second set (don't watch the twizzles as they were originally filmed) and quarter speed on youtube and you see that Guillaume grabs his blade a half turn before Gabby, which is enough for the feature to be lost.

Yep I think you're right. Always difficult seeing this on video : slo-mo + 0.25 speed :laugh:

icetigger

On the Ice
Yep I think you're right. Always difficult seeing this on video : slo-mo + 0.25 speed :laugh:

Yeah, plus the edit in the original showing obscures what you need to see........

I think at best it's a benefit of the doubt situation, and where there are no teams likely to come close it's an easy decision to not give the benefit of the doubt as a technical caller.

It'll be interesting to see what the free skate scores tomorrow. I think that could go very high......